Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

Urban Decay Urban Ammo Eye Palette

4.2

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

I just received my order from beauty.com yesterday! I was thirlled when I opened my UD package!!!! This is def. one of my best purchases this year, esp. when it comes to eyeshadows! I love that its all eyeshadows, no blush, or palette lippies (which I hate). As the other review posts, the palette is $34.00, I had some drugstore.com dollars which I was able to use, and free shipping, no tax, I paid about $22.00. I thought it was a deal because I don't have any UD eyeshadows, and instead of buying only a couple full size e/s, I get to try a variety! I would recommend to anyone...BUY THIS!

Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box (10 Shades)

Cost $34.00 for 10 x 0.8g / 10 x 0.03 US oz

Colors: 10 Shades - Smog, Maui Wowie, Mildew, Shattered, Oil Slick, Polyester Bride, Last Call, Grifter, Chopper, Sin

Packaging: Covered in touchable, matte black paper, the compact features a mesmerizing assortment of UD elements animals, hearts, skulls, and flourishes gently wafting from a pistol in overlapping textures of violet metallic foil and rich velvety flocking.

Urban Decays Product Description: 10 best-selling shadows are arranged as five sets of coordinating duos, running the gamut from subtle to sexy. The slim case is complete with a perfectly sized mirror, applicators, and a magnetic closure, so its sure to stay closed in your handbag.

My thoughts: This gorgeous brand-new palette was released to commemorate Urban Decays 10th Birthday. The 10 shadows included in this palette are all beautiful, and theres a balanced assortment of wild and mild sure to keep every girl happy. Included in the palette is a decent sized mirror (big enough to see both of your eyes clearly and them some) as well as a double ended sponge applicator. The palette snaps shut with a strong magnetic closure. The shadows are said to be arranged in duos, but all can be mixed and matched to create an easily office-friendly look (think Sin all over the lid, Smog in the crease, with a little bit of Polyester Bride as a brow highlight) or a wild, rock n roll look (think Shattered all over lid, Oil Slick in crease and lower lashline, with Maui Wowie in the inner corner and Polyester Bride as a brow highlight). I love that theres a balanced mix of bright colors, neutrals, darker defining/lining colors, glittery shades and non-glittery shades.

Ive had major issues with packing a light makeup case for a trip or even for just a day out , and I think this palette with just a few other essentials will go a long way toward helping my travel makeup overload. This is pretty serious coming from the woman who, no matter how long or short the trip, would pack her full size metal Sephora traincase to the brim with half of all the makeup I own only to end up actually using a fraction of what I had lugged around in that huge traincase. And yes I would even take the huge traincase as my 1 out of 2 pieces of carry on luggage! Anyway, even beyond being excellent to pack for a trip, this would be great to keep in your handbag for touchups or for a quick change of look if going straight from the office out for the evening.

I think this palette would work for both long-time Urban Decay fans (such as me) as well as those new to the brand. Its a great introduction to the line and the shadows picked to be in this palette are actually shades youd want to wear more than once! The beauty of this palette is its size and ease of portability as well as its universally flattering range of shades. Even if you already own some of the full size shades in this palette, its completely worth it in my opinion to have them paired with other matching shades in a small, portable palette.

My only complaint is the sponge tipped applicator, which I find to be completely useless. An actual brush would be much preferable (such as the small size eyeshadow brushes that come with MACs holiday eyeshadow palettes). There are many issues I have with sponge tipped applicators for eyeshadow application, the most relevant to this product being that bright colors with glitter tend to be best applied with a proper, decent quality eyeshadow brush. Using a sponge tipped applicator only with these kinds of colors all too often gives that pre-teen smear effect that most ladies (even edgy, not so ladylike ones) would prefer to avoid. Im all about wild eye makeup and crazy colors, but technique and proper tools are so important when working with such pigment-rich shades, so you end up with a bold, unique look thats classy and sexy, not frightening and off-putting. If youre planning on using this palette in an on-the-go kit I highly suggest investing in some short handled shadow brushes that can travel easily in your makeup kit. Sephora makes some great short handled eyeshadow brushes and even has a travel kit of brushes that comes in a small brush roll for easy transport. There are also the Holiday Brush sets that MAC comes out with every holiday season; these would work great with a small makeup travel kit as well, I own several and they are what I travel with/carry with me for touch-ups.

The staying power of most all of the Eyeshadow Ammo Shadow Box shades are decent when used alone, but amazing when used with Urban Decays Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($14). A primer such as this is especially important when using shades that contain glitter or larger particle shimmer. Primer Potion is a nude (color-free when applied) eyeshadow base that truly cannot be beat by any other eyeshadow base out there. I recommend it to anyone who wears eyeshadow, be it Urban Decay or another brand. With the Primer Potion all of the Ammo shadows glide on and blend like butter (with a proper shadow brush of course!). Primer Potion also keeps eyeshadow on all day (and night!) long with almost no creasing.

I think Urban Decay did a great job with this palette; its by far the best that theyve released in the past few years. The packaging is gorgeous, it might not be super-durable (as it is made out of paperboard like most of their other palettes), but if handled with relative care and stored in a clean makeup bag I think itll look beautiful for a long time. Beyond the amazing quality of the shadows, the designers did a great job with the aesthetics of this product as they have with many of the newer Urban Decay products. Highly recommended!
continued >>