Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

on 1/23/2014 9:40:00 PM

Surprisingly incredible!
I was planning on buying Naked 3 but since everywhere has been sold out, I started looking for another pallete to hold me over since I only have one good quality pallete Naked 2. I was not impressed at first glance but I gave it a closer look once one of the Sephora employees told me it was one of her new favorites, at first I was just trying to placate her in considering it but as I looked closer I noticed the subtle shades of burgundy and some other useful and fun shades. I decided to take a leap of faith and bought it, but I am so glad I did!

The chocolate scent is fun but not a draw for me (I don't even like chocolate that much) but the incredible part is the colors! I read in other reviews problems with shades such as milk chocolate and bon bon being too sheer, but I have not had this problem (Admittedly I religiously use Nyx milk, which always makes things better.) I say this is a must buy for those who love neutral shades but want a little subtle fun colors in their arsenal.

Over all 4.5/5 due to the flimsy (but cute) packaging.

I anxiously awaited the release of the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette, and ordered it as soon as it became available through Sephora online.

I prefer neutral shadows for everyday, and like a choice between matte/satin/shimmery shades. The Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette has become my go-to palette for daily use. The majority of shadows in the palette lean towards warm shades.

The palette offers a good balance of highlighting/medium-toned (blending)/dark shades. I find the formula to be soft, buttery, with excellent pigmentation and minimal fallout.

However, I *always* use a primer or base with powder eyeshadows, and when I want exceptional depth of color, use a sponge-tip applicator to pat the shadows on, then proceed to blend with a brush.

The case is sturdy and sleek, and I don't have to worry about the shadows breaking if it gets jostled around in my bag.

I happen to love the chocolate scent of the shadows (which comes from the addition of real cocoa to the formula, NOT an artificial chocolate scent). But, if you are particularly sensitive to scents in general, or the scent of chocolate in particular (are there people who don't like the smell of chocolate??), then you may want to pass on this palette.

on 1/22/2014 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a good neutral palette and really eyeing Naked 2. I was sure that would be the one. I saw others that were 'nice', but either too small (less shadows but close in price to make it more worth it to buy the larger ones) or colors that were too similar/not interesting enough to me. I loved how smooth and high quality the Nakeds were, that there were some mattes in there and I didn't have any yet. However, I am more of a color girl, but wanted something more subtle, and the Nakeds were really nice but very along one or two color lines.

So when I saw this I was drawn in. It's neutral, many colors (16!) but not ONLY browns/taupes or coppers. I envisioned so many looks I could do, not only with this but in addition to all my other shadows. I liked that it had the larger base and highlight/brow bone colors that I could use with *any* look, I liked that there were many mattes of differing colors, I liked that there were shimmers that were greenish, reddish, brownish, light, dark and medium shades, etc. It seemed like a great buy for all those shades. Another cool thing I discovered was "Triple Fudge" as a liner color. I have never used a shadow as a liner but that seemed like the perfect color for it. *Update: I just started filling my brows (yesterday). I really don't need a lot since they are thick and dark, but I did use this as a brow powder and it's really fantastic for that too*

A few things that worried me were that the color payoff of a few shades. The Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet (and cherry cordial a little bit as well) seemed to have some shimmer fall out. However, the color pay off turned out to be great with a primer, and the shimmers didn't even fall out as much when it was on as it had when I made a quick swatch. I would say Candied Violet is the exception though, that color is pretty but don't expect the glitter to stay on, it absolutely does not. Even with a great primer it's very weak applied (much lighter than it appears) but still pretty.

When I got the palette, I also noticed the packaging being a little cheaper/smudges on it than expected even though it is adorable. I agree about the magnet being weak. It's fine for my dresser and I even thought it was cool that it had a magnet in the first place, but I would not feel safe traveling with it either. I didn't realize the smell until I had mine, so it wasn't a selling point that made me want it, but I do love it now that I realize!

These colors are formulated in such a high quality way that they outshine my other shadows BY FAR. When I do a simple natural look with this, I feel bright and awake. It draws attention and light to your eyes and is such a confidence booster. My favorite so far is marzipan, I use it as a shadow and highlight sooo often. Triple Fudge, a great basic dark matte brown for deep creases, brows and liner. Salted Caramel, obvious and perfect transition though great on the lid too. The Strawberry Bon Bon is amazing. The bottom left 3 shimmer brows are perfect. And who doesn't love Champagne Truffle. I usually get drugstore shadows, but they often fall flat in matte colors where these mattes are not muddy or dull at all.

So overall, I'm super happy with the colors and the quality of this palette. I think I made the right choice for me. Though I'm generally a bargain buyer and don't usually buy something so expensive, it's very worth it price wise if you are the type to only buy a few palettes instead of individual shadows. I used a gift card to be able to get mine and I'm happy I got to treat myself to something so nice. Years later I can def still call this HG and something I'd actually plunk down full price for. And I never pay full price lol.

I am absolutely in love with this palette! I love the color pay off of these eyeshadows. I thought at first that this palette was going to be a let down but I gave it a try and I am so impressed. If your debating whether to get the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette or this one, I would definitely go with this one just because I feel like theres a nice variation of lighter and darker shades. Once you open this palette it smells alot like chocolate but after a while the smell settles down a bit, it doesnt bother me at all. The only thing that I didnt like was the plastic film with the eyeshadow names on it. The film has fell off a couple of times when I have opened the palette. Other than that I have no complaints. I say go for this palette and I promise you you'll fall in love!

on 1/16/2014 3:20:00 PM

I've been waiting for the pallet to come out in the stores so I could try it first and finally got mine at Ulta. 16 shadows 4 are true mattes and rest are satin, shimmer and metalic. The package is AWESOME and I don't often say that (It's functional it works) but I really do like this metal pallet with a decent mirror. It does not come with any brushes but there is a little booklet with some seperating cards with different looks. No other extras. Yes and everyone will tell you the shadows smell like Chocolate. I found out accidently and I don't know if anyone noticed they are also sweet tasting. When I was swatching I tried using white chocolate on my cupids bow and realized yes ladies it TASTES. If your sensitive or allegic to Chocolate stay away this is made with coco powder so food allergies be aware!In playing with the colors here is what I have:

Gilded Ganche - dark brown w/warm carmel bronze shimmer

White Chocolate - Warm pale beige Matte

Milk Chocolate - Med dark warm brown with reddish tone matte

Black Forrest Truffel - Dark brown warm burgendy with bronze shimmers this one is more metalic

triple fudge - matte dark natural brown

Salted Carmel (my favorite) warm muted orange/brown matte great blender

Marzipan slightly metallic frosted peachy

semi sweet - med red brown matte kind of powdery but buildable

strawberry Bon Bon - The big surprise for me a cool matte pink very soft and blendable

Candied Violette (my biggest disapointment) looks so purple and yummy in the pan REALLY light and you gotta work hard to make it work. I'm lite toned and got very little payoff

Armaretto - Warm Med Brown w/frost

Hazelnut med dark bronze sheen

Creme Brulee - Dark Gold Bronze Sheen

Haute Chocolate - Dark Brown Frosted

Cherry Cordial - Warm Plum/brown it's sparkly but more matte (beautiful)

Champagne Truffel - Bright pink toned white with gold sheen. Building it will give you a metalic look.

Ladies I can say yes it's another neutral pallet but I have all the Naked pallets and this will work right in with all of them. There are some close dupes but not exact the possibilites are endless. I am very happy and look forward to playing with this!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I know I say this a lot, but my goodness do I love this palette. My heart skipped a beat when I first saw it and bought it ASAP when sephora released it. The colors are so so so buttery and opaque.
It comes housed in an adorable chocolate bar inspired tin. The packaging, while cute...leaves much to be desired. It does not close/lock securely. It actually had a plastic insert with the color names that is supposed to stay on top of the shadows, but it slides right out from inside the case. The first few times I opened it I got the delicious chocolate aroma, but it has since subsided.
The colors are a gorgeous mix of browns, golds and some pink/purple shades. There is a beautiful highlight color as well. The sparkly purple (candied violet) does take some effort to apply, but when done right, it's is superb. I absolutely love this palette! I thought that having all 3 UD Naked palettes would make owning this palette a non-necessity, but that is so not the case!! I can't imagine now owning it. It was a bit steep in price, but really, worth every penny.

When I first saw this product I knew I had to have it. The chocolate theme and the coco-powder smell was just too irresistible.
I was so excited to finally get my hands on one, but I was very disappointed by the packaging quality.
The tin box itself is very thin and vulnerable to dents (there was already a dent on mine before I purchased it!) In addition, the magnetic closure on the lid itself was very weak and the lid easily flings open. The lid gives in when you press on it, making the box feel very cheap. For a moment I thought perhaps it was just that one palette itself, so I asked the sales person to get me another palette from storage. It was just as flimsy as the first, if not worse.
I was expecting a sleek, sturdy palette ( with the feel and dimensions of a Hershey Bar). However much I love the cuteness of this palette, I do NOT feel safe traveling with it.
For such price (50$), I expect better quality packaging. I will go to another store again and make sure that it isn't just my palette came from a bad bulk/package. I really do love the smell, colors, and quality of the eye shadows. I recommend this to people who like collecting eye shadows, but not to people who need a versatile palette for everyday use.

on 1/1/2014 12:04:00 AM

I received this a couple days ago from Sephora.com, I had been waiting for this to get in stock, as it is described as a neutral toned palette and I am obsessed with nude palettes. This and my OCC 12 mini tube collection were my 2 most anticipated purchases on this haul.

I have had a chance to play around with the palette and like all Too Faced eyeshadows, this offering does not disappoint. There are 16 neutral (nude) shadows with 8 rich mattes and 8 shimmers. This palette does not contain anything over the top as far as textures, colors, etc. so it is a great work palette. The shimmer selection has some that are more shimmery than others but they are all workable and again there is nothing over the top. The mattes are rich and velvet like, nothing powdery or chalky. I applied all shadows with primer, I like to use both UDPP and TFSI and switch back and forth regularly, I did not experience fall out with any of the shadows. The palette is well designed with 2 larger pans containing base/highlight colors that one will definitely use more than the other colors.

When I first opened the palette I was taken by surprise as the box looks like the wrapper of a chocolate bar, the tin is milk chocolate colored and sculpted to look like a chocolate bar that is pre-divided into sections. The biggest surprise was when I opened the tin and caught a whiff, it smells like cocoa too...scrumptious! As with all Too Faced eyeshadow palettes, they do include a pamphlet with ideas and instructions for using the product to achieve some looks.

I can see where I am going to enjoy using this palette, not only are the shadows nice but the packaging reminds me of Willy Wonka and finding a golden ticket or something.

I LOVE this palette. I couldn't stop thinking about it when I saw it! It may look a little gimmicky, but its not that way! Too Faced just went the extra mile and they get 5 stars on the cuteness factor. The the colors are one of a kind, also, I discovered. I was reluctant because of the price, but it is the same price as the Naked palettes. I was also reluctant because I thought it looked similar to my Naked palette. Only a couple look similar. There are a lot of reddish tones in with the browns which I love.

Color: Color pay-off is absolutely wonderful! All the colors are so pretty. I paired Strawberry bon bon with cherry cordial and oh wow, I love this feminine pink color with this beautiful burgundy.

Price: The price is steep, but the quality of the makeup itself is 5/5.

Packaging: Its REALLY cute, but the tin is a little flimsy, and some of the shadows are a tad chalky. and $49.... Thats why I gave this 4 out of 5 stars.

BUT I LOVE THIS OVERALL!!!!