Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 2/25/2014 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This palette is gorgeous! I've been on a palette binge this year thanks to Ulta GCs for Christmas and my birthday (plus tons of points I've saved up!): Unzipped, Lorac Pro, Naked 1 and 3, It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Matte palette...and then this one! I am reaching for this the most, which surprised because I wasn't blown away by the swatches I saw online from my favorite beauty bloggers. I am a sucker for all things brown/bronze/neutral though so I eventually caved and purchased this. I don't regret it!

I love salted caramel in the crease blended out, with either amaretto or haute chocolate on the lid and triple fudge in the outer V. Staying power is good with a primer. Plus it smells like chocolate, hello!

If you have the palettes I listed above do you NEED this? Probably not. But it has been a wonderful addition to my collection and I feel like I've barely tapped into all the possibilities yet!

on 2/24/2014 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

One of the BEST palettes out there hands down. I just finally got this a few weeks ago and find myself reaching for it almost everyday. Tons of neutral colors and some deep colors as well. As with all Too Faced palettes there are two extra large shadows. The whole palette is extremely pigmented and soft. So many looks with this and smells like chocolate. The packaging is so cute, looks like a chocolate bar. I think this is worth the price.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The Chocolate Bar palette is kind of a weird concept with the cocoa powder thing, but I've really enjoyed having it, and I use it every day now. I bought it because I was getting kind've bored using my Naked 1 palette, and had bought both the Naked 3 and the Lorac Pro palette only to return them out of disappointment. I wanted blendable neutrals that I could combine in multiple ways, and that's exactly what this collection of shadows delivered.

I like that they don't mess around. You get the one palette, no teensy extras, no brush you're never going to use, etc. The packaging seems a little chunky, it seems like there's a lot of silly space at the bottom beneath the shadows, but nothing too bad. The closures are magnetic, and I do have some worry they will wear out, but I don't intend to toss mine around so I'm not overly concerned. The only truly disappointing thing about the palette is that the shadow names are only provided on a clear plastic piece, not printed on the palette. I want the shadow names, so I have to keep that piece of plastic, which is somewhat annoying.

The product itself is lovely. The shadows are all well pigmented and extremely soft. I love that when you open the palette you get the smell of chocolate. They also taste sweet too, which I discovered by accident.

The shadows are really, really blendable, and the colors work together in so many different combinations. The one thing I will say is that for a few of the darkest colors, it seems like they lose a little intensity within an hour or so of wear, so I would start a little darker than you want and it'll settle perfectly. Other than that, no creasing or fading. Note-I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance under every eye look.

Overall I would say I'm very pleased with this product. It's a lot of shadow for the price (and extra props to Too Faced of including larger pans of the highlight shades! Nothing is more annoying than having to lug around extra products because your palette is out of blending/highlighting shades). The smell is calming and makes me happy to use. I've finally found a palette worth keeping!!

on 2/17/2014 9:44:00 AM

I have such mixed feelings about this palette. I think the packaging is absolutely adorable and the shadows are very great quality, I just don't think it's a must-have as far as the eyeshadow shades go.

The colors are all warm and very similar, which makes it a bit redundant if you already have palettes like UD N1, LORAC Unzipped, etc. I made myself use this for one week straight and it was difficult to find 'everyday' wearable looks since there are only a few lighter shades. The majority of them are on the darker side, which make it more suited towards a night-time palette.

on 2/16/2014 4:27:00 PM

Great palette to own...... wide range of eyeshadow shades plus the quality is excellent ( I have not had any issues with fallout. ) I love palettes however, it is not easy finding one that works for me, however, the Chocolate Bar Palette is a great choice for me. (I'm NW10 with blonde hair and brown hair and this palette works for my cool coloring.) A lot of options with this palette and I can create so many looks ..... again a great palette to own.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this chocolate bar. I had one Too Faced "Sexy" palette before and I didn't like it at all. I tried all the colors at Sephora and decided to give this brand another try. I am glad I did. All the colors are very pigmented and beautiful, a very good pallete, there are shimmer colors, matt colors, very easy to work with. I think they are very thoughtful that they put two light shadows (the matt white one and the shimmer white one" with extra quantity, because I use both more often, almost every look, so, good job! It also has chocolate smell. I love chocolate, so I am very happy about it. For whom don't like chocolate smell, maybe won't be the pallete for you. I also uploaded some photos, hope would be helpful.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. How to put this, for mine, it doesn't close/click properly, also I think the container can be thinner, would be easier to travel.

on 2/3/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I am just loving this palette, it has me excited about makeup all over again. I bought the new Smashbox one as well and don't even use it. The pigmentation and colour selection is both unique and so wearable. It comes with three cards with looks to get you started, I always appreciate that as I stare at a new fresh palette! The smell is actually like chocolate and it is packaged in a sturdy tin, both cute and I think, durable. I have a lot of Too Faced palettes and can say this is one of the best, don't miss out on getting it. Leave the full exposure and get this one I promise you will be better off. I have received so many compliments on my standout blue eyes since starting to wear this and |I am in my mid 40s so its good for older women as well. So awesome

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was torn between this palette and Naked 3, but once I saw the colours in Chocolate Bar, I was hooked. Also, Naked 3 is permanent so I can get it down the road, while Chocolate Bar is limited edition.

I know a lot of people complain about the packaging being flimsy. I don't find this to be the case. My complaint is that the names of the shadows aren't printed on the palette for reference. This annoys the heck out of me - is it really THAT much trouble to print the names on the edges of the pans, the way UD does with its palettes or Too Faced does with its 9-pan palettes? My other complaint is the SCENT. I'm not someone who is bothered by fragrance in makeup products but I know a lot of people are, and it seems plain old stupid to have scented/fragranced EYE SHADOWS - the one place you'd think they'd want to minimize scent (even if they want to keep that "chocolate" theme going) is in anything women use around their eyes. I'm surprised more reviewers haven't commented negatively about the scent since there are so many complaints, overall, about fragrance in cosmetic and skin care products on this site.

Still, having got those 2 complaints out of the way, I have to say that this is a truly terrific palette with a full range of matte and shimmer shadows as well as cool toned, neutral and warm tones. And there's also the beautiful Candied Violet, a lovely periwinkle blue/purple. There are only 3 suggested looks, but putting together your own combinations that are suitable for work or more dramatic, intense ones for evening won't be difficult with this versatile palette.

UPDATE: Solution for the issue of colour names on the palette - Staedtler's Lumocolour fine tipped markers are perfect for writing the names right on the palette. It doesn't smear, smudge or rub off. I've now done this on all my palettes without the shadow/product names on them.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This product is amazing! I have wanted it for so long. It is a bit pricy and I wasn't sure if the colors were too much like the naked pallets, but that is not the case! The only thing about this product is the thickness of the actual pallete. It is going to fill up a lot of room when traveling.. But worth it! all the colors are made with coca so it smells just like chocolate! But not in a gross way lol.. These eyeshadows have no fall out and a great color path! I highly recommend this product!