Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.3

on 8/22/2006 6:47:00 PM

This is the review for the parfum - The 1000 EDT I had tried before now seems harsher and drier, woodier, brighter and spicier too.

The parfum sinks in the skin, warmer, feeling very sensual, darker and sweeter - the sillage is intense but feels intimate. I don 't get much Mitsouko in 1000 maybe because it has more indole animalic notes, also has a leather side that reminds me more of Daim Blond apricot soft leather note (osmanthus?) than the fruity chypre Mitsouko. A dark dirty raunchy luxurious floral!

on 8/7/2006 11:33:00 AM

1000 is such a strange bird, and I have postponed trying it for a long time, expecting a floral explosion in the manners of Joy. Since it was mentioned as an exemplary osmanthus scent, I had to try it seriously this time. It uses top notes that are quite medicinal, but surprisingly, they all manage to go through some mysterious transformation, get rid of the white gowns and change into classy, lady-like vintage outfits instead. The opening is aldehydic and at the same time campohoreous, green and spicy, emanating from a prescription of eucalyptus and angelica and some stray coriander seeds for a good measure of ambivalent pleasure.

As I walk away from the eucalyptus forest and the dry vaporous leaves crushing under my feet are fewer, dirty, dark florals start to emerge, like the scent of a memorial wreaths of roses lying in the sun long after the memorial ceremony is over.

The floral heart of dark dry roses has also a green powderiness from violet and osmanthus and the indole characteristics of jasmine are swallowed in the dirty and earthy base of civet, patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver, like the decaying floor of the eucalyptus-grove. The osmanthus presence is there only as a suggestion for leathery, animalistic, peach-skin texture of suede Osmanthus adds a fuzzy softness to 1000, which is otherwise a ladylike, aldehidic chypre floral. But it is truly the eucalyptus that maintains the character of this perfume as its presence floats as an ethereal spirit above all other things.

Top notes: Bergamot, Coriander, Eucalyptus, Angelica
Heart notes: Osmanthus, Rose, Jasmine, Violet
Base notes: Sandal, Patchouli, Vetiver, Civet, Oakmoss

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was immediately reminded of the great Mitsouko when trying 1000. I was at the mall (gack), looking for a new fragrance for my brother. I wandered past the Patou counter, where a smallish stock of fragrances had been relegated to a corner. Joy, EnJoy, and 1000. Since my only past experience with Patou had been Patou = Big Floral, I gave my wrist a glancing spritz out of sheer boredom. I went on to other fragrance endeavors, only stopping to sniff my wrist out of curiosity because death-by-bouquet had not yet hit me in the nose.

Whoa. What was this? Hints of my beloved Mitsouko? Not quite as dry or mossy, as others have mentioned, but definitely there. Flowers are there, too, but they don't scream at the top of their lungs. And what was that note wafting from the base? Something... carnal. Purely sexual, but neither male nor female. It doesn't smell like cumin (no scent of sweat). Whatever it is, this was wonderful, unique, dark-but-polished fragrance. This does not evoke the somewhat melancholy, remote emotion which I perceive from some of the Guerlain classics. This is an approachable fragrance, but it's very womanly and a bit dangerous. I must investigate further.

on 1/5/2006 5:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Imagine joy with its cold yet perfect accord of jasmine and roses,using the best flowers...then put a woody drydown to it and the result is 1000.

Strangely androgynous it is like an angel:beautiful,no sex,pale and strong,perfectly made but not for human beings.
I mean it is even more boring than Joy.
It can't create any emotion by smelling it.

So what?
Very expensive,pleasurable...but that's all.

If you want to look rich,wear it.
If you want to have a personal signature with your perfume telling your story and your truth,you'd better look for a Serge Lutens perfume.

Elegant, classy, chic and suave with a hint of naughtiness around the edges. Goes great with DSH's Richesse (her dupe of 1000). I like to layer one over the other to get the best effect. 1000 is virtually seamless. A masterpiece.

on 5/3/2006 12:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The most elegant, sensual, mysterious perfume I have ever found, warm and earthy with an echo of violets in the shadows, that blends perfectly with my body chemistry and my psychology. I wear it to bed, and know nothing better than to let the scent of it carry me to sleep. Discovered it when I was a teenager, when a woman in a shop gave me a tester and spoiled me forever. I treasured the tester, eeking it out drop by drop, and waited more than ten years to feel worthy of my first full bottle. In 27 years I have never found one better, or even close, though I do wear other perfumes. This one is special, memorable, to be treasured. I use the EDT as it is perfection on me; the others are a little heavy for my chemistry. A word of caution: men, all kinds of men, follow me around with lovelorn expressions when I wear it, so I'm a little choosey who I wear it around and when. Not one I wear to work, unless I mean to cause a distraction.

I absolutely love this! It makes me feel very elegant when I wear it. OK, it smells somewhat old fashioned and it's not suited for daytime but I think it's a great special occasions spring and fall perfume.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This must be one of the most wonderful perfumes ever made - delicious, warm, distingu, classy, a bit on the "heavy" side, and more interesting and alluring than Joy by far - I sometimes wear this to sleep at night, but if worn by day it makes me feel like a million dollars - smells expensive like no other perfume I know. Not really suited for the office - unless you are the boss of the enterprise yourself.

1000 says carnal riches and a love of pleasures, with no excuses given. It does have a star quality to it, with a mixture of floral decadence and a heavier mysterious achord. On me, although I haven't used it for a whole decade, it was precious. It is a little too "mature" and, therefore, now I prefer not to use it...being more in need of a more loving aura.

I have to take back all the negative comments I've made about 1000 over the past year. I consider it one of my favorites now, perfect all year round. It's suave, creamy, elegant and urbane. Dress it up, dress it down. Wear it to the grocery, office, to church, to the opera, or for a big night on the town. Very versatile. It's a marvelously balanced fragrance that tends to stay close to the skin. If you're looking for something that is a chypre with floral and green accents, this one could very well be for you. It's easy to wear and easy to love. If you find Mitsouko too much of a challenge, fear not. Give 1000 a fair chance.

Popular Fragrances