The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

The Body Shop Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

3.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Pentylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Butylene Glycol, Cyclomethicone, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Glyceryl Stearate, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Oil, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Phosphate.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this cleanser it is gentle and doesn't dry out my skin unlike some other cleansers. The only makeup i wear is a BB cream or a TM and a little blush and a tinted lip balm and i think it gets it off a little bit but i don't expect a cleanser to remove makeup that's what my makeup remover wipes are for :)

on 7/26/2012 2:24:00 PM

There are a lot of poor reviews for this product based on its failure to remove makeup. I personally haven't found a regular cream cleanser that works for that on its own, especially not a gentle one. I use a separate product for makeup removal and then cleanse afterwards.
I love using creamy cleansers in the morning, and this is nice for that. It doesn't leave my skin greasy and isn't drying or irritating. It doesn't really moisturize but just makes it feel nice and clean, which is all I really want it to do. It doesn't soften like my Dr. Hauschka Cleansing milk does, but at a small fraction of the price, I'm ok with that. There's also no discernible fragrance, which I like. It gets 4 instead of 5 points because I don't see that it actually calms redness as the name implies. (but non-irritating and no breakouts is good enough for me. :) ) Also the squeeze bottle requires a lot of pressure to dispense the product.
I just bought and started using this recently. I'll update if I notice anything different later.

on 5/18/2012 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have suffered from acne for what seems forever. While using the Arbonne cream cleanser my face cleared up a lot, however, the co. stopped making such cleanser...back to square one. Used Dermadoctor cleanser has salicyic acid but my face while clean didn't feel acne free, anyway I purchased this Aloe Cleanser hoping it would be as mild as the Arbonne was and cha-ching! it is!!!
It has a very mild smell, it is cool and calming, it removes foundation and even eye shadow (with a bit of rubbing you could take mascara off, but I wouldn't recommend all that tugging around the eye). My routine is use two pea size drops and rub on my face in an upward motion, use a big cotton ball to remove the foundation and finish by wiping remaining cleanser with a soft warm towel.
I've been doing this for over a month and even my sis who sees me often commented how great my skin looks (could be a combination of those green smoothies I've been drinking too) but seriously I finally got that just because I have oily acne prone skin doesn't mean I have to use soapy or salicyic/glycolic acid cleansers which strip my face off its moisture.
***update***
I continue to see great results,however,now I still use two pea size drops of the cleanser but I now use the Body Shop luxury flannel towel which is very smooth and between both products my skin is left free if makeup and clean. I follow with a vitamin e moist. On super lazy days I use the tea tree oil wipes from TBS as well.

on 6/7/2012 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The cleanser is gentle and fragrance free but I find it does a poor job of cleansing my skin. To remove foundation, I have to use a large amount, tissue off, and then follow with a toner. Quite disappointing! Won't purchase again.

I've been using this for some weeks now, and now I'm giving up. At first I tried using this with water, it didn't take any make up off. Then I tried using cottonpads, it worked pretty well.. but I had to use a lot of product to get it all off. Another thing that I don't like with this is that it does not make me feel clean at all, the cleanser leaves a film on my face that I can only get rid of by using a toner afterwards! I'm not sure but I also think that this is making me brake out, it can be the moisturiser I'm using (The body shop aloe day and night cream) but I think it's the combination of it. So, I can't really recommend anyone to try this.. it's a waste of money! Thank god I only bought the sample. If your looking for a cleanser that takes all your make up off then you should try the foam wash from the same range instead, it's amazing!!

on 5/25/2012 10:52:00 PM

This cleanser is able to get most of my makeup off without stripping my skin of all its oils. I still follow up with another cleanser afterwards (ELDW, what do you expect?) but I find that if I'm going to double cleanse, I'd much rather the first cleanser be something gentle and in this case, oil based, rather than foaming and drying like my second one. My skin feels a lot less dry on my cheeks since starting to use this and it hasn't managed to do anything bad to my oily T-zone either. It's also good for use in the morning when I wake up since it's go gentle.
The biggest appeal for me is definitely the ingredients in this. It is sold as preservative, alcohol, fragrance and colour free, so my sensitive skin has been loving it.
The only con would be that if you don't wash this off properly, your skin might feel a bit slick and slimy. If that happens then you MAY find your skin becomes slightly irritated afterwards.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have had pretty bad experiences with other facial cleanses, for example the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash was probably the worst. But I've been using this product on and off for a while now for about a year and a half. When I do start to use it again, it cleansed my skin pretty well but after using for a few days I would notice a few new breakouts. Then I would continue to use it for another few days and I would notice that my skin did have less breakouts. I'm guessing that for me, my acne usually gets worse before it gets better when using this product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this for about 1.5 months before giving up. I have sensitive skin that is slightly dry in the winter, so I decided to try a cream cleanser. This was great in that it didn't sting or irritate my face; it didn't even itch (a miracle)! I thought simple was the way to go to lessen the chance of a breakout.

After about a week this really started to clog my pores. To try and remedy this I made sure to remove it with a hot wet washcloth and follow up with a toner. Unfortunately that didn't work, and the clogs got worse. It also started giving me several whiteheads. I am thinking it may have been the palm oil, as I have found I'm sensitive to many other oils. Also, the flip cap is really flimsy and cheap.

I managed to get this on sale for under $9 with free shipping (original price is $14). For this price it was worth a shot, but I would be very disappointed if I had paid full price. I gave it 1 lippie for being so gentle, and another for how soft it left my face.

on 1/12/2012 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

My mom bought this product for herself, and while traveling it's all we had to use. My mom has rosacea so her skin is super sensitive to cleansers and lotions, my skin is also super sensitive and breaks out in hive's a lot. This was great in the sense that it doesn't make you break out, nor does it burn or clog the pores. BUT the bottle says it washes away eye makeup and makeup in general, and let me say it takes a lot of will-power to get makeup off. Just a so-so product, wouldn't waste the money because I think just straight water would do the same thing

I absolutely love this cleanser. I have dry and super sensitive skin that was constantly irritated and flaking before using this, but since using it, my skin has seen a dramatic change. My skin is now super soft (but not at all greasy or oily) and I've also seen a decrease in breakouts. I only need to use a pea size amount to see amazing results, so I know I'm definitely getting value for money. I usually follow with the 'gentle exfoliator' which probably helps with the amazing results. Definitely highly recommend to anyone suffering with sensitive skin and/or irritation.