Model in a Bottle

Model in a Bottle

2.7

SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentildyol, Acrylates/Octacrylamide Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Gel (aloe vera), Biosaccharide Gum-1, Propylaparaben, Methlyparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Cons:
In my case, the spray pump didn't deliver a fine mist like it's supposed to - rather, it often shot a thin stream of the product in some random direction, usually not anywhere near my face.
With almost every day use and a wonky sprayer, Model in a Bottle didn't last more than 3 weeks.
Pretty costly, especially when it doesn't last long.
Spray pump broke after a week (replaced with with a clean hairspray pump - worked better after that).

Pros:
I found that Model in a Bottle works well if I use it first as a primer (mist my face before putting on make-up) and then spray again after my make-up has been applied.

Works reasonably well; my make-up lasts a couple of hours longer than normal.

However, having my make-up last a couple of hours longer isn't really worth the cost, particularly with international shipping and definitely not if hairspray does a similar job.

I ordered this online and tested it out the first time while trying on wedding gowns, and really by the end of the day, my makeup was actually as fresh looking at 1 am as it was at 1 pm! One problem, I broke out in a wicked rash over my entire face. It is strong, (I hate lavender, personally) Also, it does feel like hairspray. I continued to use it, lol, and my skin adjusted to it, and no more reactions. I did wear this on my wedding day, and am thankful that I did.

I really wanted to like this product, but there are just too many negatives. First of all, it made my face feel tight and sticky. Second of all, the spray doesn't always come out in a perfect mist, and half the time comes out in a stream that, of course, never fails to shoot me in the eye and make my mascara run. I've tried cleaning the tip, but it still clogs up. Third, the smell isn't unbearable.. But it definitely could be improved. Fourth, this really isn't a big deal, but I wish it wasn't in a glass bottle because I am so clumsy and it's a miracle it hasn't shattered because I've dropped it so many times.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I'll stick with my MAC Fix+.

So I bought this spray even with the not-so-positive reviews becasue I was pretty desperate. I work long hours with children (who also love to touch my face) and I was so unhappy seeing that my make up was rubbing off (even using MAC fix plus). So I decided to give it a shot. I have to say that it technically does work. My make up stayed on much longer than it use to. However, for me it doesnt stay on "all day" as the website claims. I started using it for those extra long days or weekend nights out and looking back at the pictures, my makeup is still kept in place. The actual spray is terrible. It doesnt spray out evenly and so I find myself spraying it on several times to attempt for an even coat. The glass bottle is fine, it doesnt really bother me. Recently I have started using it everyday and almost out of my current bottle. I plan on repurchasing. Although Im not in love with the product, it does seem to help and has become a staple in my makeup collection.

on 10/16/2010 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

First off I haven't used this much b/c on a daily basis I don't want/need a hairspray on my face. It does leave a hairspray like feel on the face that is sligihtly undesireable.

BUT, I used this on NYE when I went to a club and we'll just say "I celebrated to my fullest." The next day when I was looking at my pictures I noticed that I still looked "cute" at the end of the night eating my huge pizza slice (I usually look very not cute at this point). Then I realized that I wore the Model in a bottle and it really worked. If I went out more I'd use this more.

I haven't tested the Urban Decay all nighter yet but I did spray it on my face and it felt more natural. If it has the same lasting power I'd rather use that.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I do ballroom dance, so I definitely need my makeup to endure a workout. I've tried several makeup fixatives (Urban Decay All Nighter; Make Up For Ever Mix & Fix; even [carefully!] spraying a bit of hairspray on my face), and while Model in a Bottle has its drawbacks, it's the strongest of anything I've used yet. As others have noted, it's quite pricey, and due to the package design, it sprays heavily and runs out very quickly.

It claims to be a "matte finish," but I actually found it made my face look dewy -- it might have just been drawing out the shimmer in my blush, though. It definitely takes away any cakiness from powder or foundation and seemed to automatically blend everything together -- nice and smooth and airbrushed. Since I have an oily T-zone, I just put a bit of powder over it once the spray had dried, and that mattified it pretty well.

I have oily skin that can take a lot of punishment, so I didn't find this to be drying or painful. It definitely has a super-strong chemical scent, though -- to be expected, since the main ingredient is alcohol. When they say wait 30 seconds before opening your eyes, they MEAN it -- if you get impatient, it really stings!

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but since it's so expensive, and since it seems to have such poor economy, I'll try a few more fixatives before buying again.

EDIT: All right, I've compared the ingredients list of Model in a Bottle to the ingredients in hairspray (Big Sexy Spray & Play, to be specific, but it'll go the same for pretty much any kind of hairspray) and grilled my brother (who has a degree in chemistry) about it. The active ingredient in both of them are copolymers, which is to say adhesive. Flexible, elasticized adhesive. So yes, the previous reviews are correct, and Model in a Bottle is just overpriced hairspray dressed up in an inefficient package. I'm knocking off another lippie for the price, now.

Bottom line: it DOES work, but so will a $2.00 can of AquaNet.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This stuff is NOT appropriate for oily, acne-prone skin. It feels sticky on the skin and leaves a very shiny finish. It left me with horribly clogged pores and four giant pimples...two on each cheek! Lovely. To top it all off, it didn't keep my makeup in place. In fact, I'd say it had the opposite effect. I put it on in the morning, and when I checked my makeup in the mirror at school later that evening, my makeup looked all clumpy and patchy and gross. For info, I wear BareMinerals foundation, so maybe this stuff just doesn't work with mineral makeup, but overall, I think this stuff is terrible for the skin.

on 12/14/2009 3:47:00 AM

I ordered this products from its original website.
Received this products after 2weeks. After I opened the package I realized that no bubble wrap were used for wrap this products ( I ordered 2bottle ), no Fragile Sign wrote on the box package, and one of the bottle are broken and empty.
I was really dissapoint by these facts. How come they wrapped international package in such way.
For the products I find the perfumes were very discomforting, it smells so strong. And the result is not as good as it reviewed. I dont know, I still had the same oily skin when I used this products, and I had breakouts.
Not recommending this products especially if you live outside US and want it shipped internationaly.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought this product for an upcoming company Christmas party. Because I was helping to manage the party, I know I'm going to be running around all day with no time to apply my makeup for the party. If I put it on in the morning, it would need to stay for 12 hours. I bought a bottle of this off Amazon just to try out and I was pleasantly surprised by the results despite the negative reviews. I have dry, fairly sensitive skin with oily lids. I put my makeup on in the morning and gave a light once-over with MiaB before heading to work. I checked my face once I got home and everything, even my blush and contour, were still perfectly in place like I had just put it on an hour before. My only negative impression about this product is that if you have dry skin and don't hardcore moisturize your face first, it will make your skin look dry (but not patchy, thankfully). Fix+ occasionally throughout the day minimized this effect, however.

on 4/22/2010 1:42:00 AM

Today is the first full day of trying this product and I am completely in love! Normally by this stage of the day my makeup has all but disappeared but with this product it still looks just as good as when I applied it, a good 8 hours ago now. Nothing has melted away at all. I have a very oily T-zone and have only felt the need to lightly dab my nose with a bit of blotting paper so far today - usually I would have had to blot my nose, chin and forehead once or more likely twice by this stage. My only critcism is price (though I am in Australia so it's a bit more expensive over here) but I think I might buy it on Ebay next time, and also the glass bottle - I have ceramic basins and tiled floor in my bathroom (not an uncommon combination!) and I have been known to drop things occasionally - a potential disaster waiting to happen methinks. I also bought the Model in a Bottle Eyebrow sealer and I'm loving that too - not a stray eyebrow hair to be seen, also after 8 hours wear.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools