Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.7

1916 reviews

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

So, remember when you were a little kid and you could never get enough sugar, and candy was the best thing of all time ever? And then remember that time some grown-up--maybe a grandparent or a great-aunt or something--offered you a piece of candy and you got all excited...only then to discover that the "candy" in question was actually a plug of some gross rooty old black licorice? Remember how utterly devastating and upsetting that was?

...Yeah. This has got to be the cruellest bait-and-switch in all perfumery.

When you first take a sniff of it in the bottle or the vial, it presents itself as a sweet little riff on ethyl maltol, the "cotton candy" (or "candyfloss" for you Brits out there) aromachemical. It smells great: like spun sugar and carmelized sugar and various vanillaish things and maybe just a bit of red berry. It's a smell that goes straight to whatever part of the limbic system it is that houses your proverbial inner child, and that seems perfectly designed to get that inner child all excited, like a little kid just entering the fairgrounds. Cotton candy! Cotton candy and CARAMEL! Candycandycandycandycandy!!! Yaaaaaay!

Then you make the mistake of spraying it or dabbing some on, and all of a sudden this enormous black licorice and melted plastic hybrid--this unspeakable BEAST--rears up out of nowhere, roaring and rampaging and trampling you underfoot until you're left rocking back and forth, wailing in horror like Nancy Kerrigan after she took one to the knee. "Why? Why??? WHY???!!??"

Seriously, what did they DO to that poor ethyl maltol to make it smell like that? And what could the poor ethyl maltol possibly have done to deserve such treatment?

On the plus side, at least now I know what that black licorice fragrance I've been smelling everywhere for the past couple of years is. It never even occurred to me that it might be Pink Sugar. I'd been assuming that it was, I dunno, Lolita Lempicka or something -- you know, something that is *known* for its licorice note -- because seriously, who would guess that a fragrance called "Pink Sugar" and marketed with all of that pink fluffy cotton candy imagery would actually turn out to smell like a plug of some thick rooty old black licorice? Not I, that's for sure. Crazy old world, innit?

Crazy old world...and a *very* cruel perfume.

on 7/2/2010 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

As previous reviewers have mentioned, once you've had a sniff of this, you'll know if it's love or hate - few people waiver in between. Well, bless the lovers, but this is one of my most hated perfumes. It contains notes of musk, vanilla, berries, cotton candy, and a few other sweet and fruity ingredients, making it a fruity-gourmand scent, but one spray of this and all you'll get is sugar, sugar, sugar. Then again, it may be different on each individual, and to each nose.

This perfume has one quality that everyone seems to agree on: it is a sweet fragrance regardless of who wears it. It's the olfactory representation of a bright pink, sparkling Care Bear that dreams of rainbows and skips through the berry fields all day. And, just like a Care Bear, there is no mystery to this fragrance, no surprisingly beautiful and inspired notes that linger hours after you first put it on. The composition feels open and innocent and that may be why many people believe it to be a younger woman's fragrance. If all this makes you happy, then by all means, purchase it at once. However, don't be surprised when you get reactions ranging from "You smell like cupcakes!" to "I suppose you just got back from the Coney Island stale cotton candy stand'. Unfortunately, for my Pink Sugar-loving friends, my comments will always veer towards the latter.

on 2/4/2006 9:21:00 AM

Okay so here is the thing about Aquolina's Pink Sugar - people WILL notice you're wearing it and you will love it the first time you wear it, but then, like eating too much candy , you kinda of have to take a break from it for a while (or a month) and then rediscover it on top of your shelf. It is NOT an everyday fragrance, but if you wear it once, it will linger in the most beautiful way on your winter scarf and coat. I always love when a perfume can do that and not make me want to throw everything in the wash: it becomes a calling-card in a way. It is a very youth-oriented fragrance so I am fearful of recommending it to anyone over say 30. Or if you loke it, just don't wear it to the office. Its the 'pink eye shadow' of fragrances, if you get my drift.

on 11/7/2014 5:56:00 PM

OK I am middle aged so marketing says I should not like this - I love it. It is sweet like marshmallow fluff with caramel sauce and candy floss. I would not like this in high summer but in the depths of winter it reminds me of summers at the fairground and that makes me smile. So the marketers can go to hang. I am wearing this with pride.

on 12/11/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Fun and a little naughty to wear but MOST definitely something you want to sample before buying, because the licorice and intense sweetness will turn a lot of people off.
Notes: Bergamot, Sicilian orange, fig leaves, lily, liquorice blossom, red fruits, vanilla, caramel, woodsy and musky notes.
Pink Sugar opens like a plump pillowy piece of sugary-sweet toasted marshmallow with all the brown and caramelized bits thrown in (courtesy of the dark tarriness of liquorice). Then it slowly softens into a cotton candy and bakery scent, with faint traces of fruit flavoring. In the far drydown, I detect a light powdered-sugar musk on my skin.

Surprisingly good lasting power and great projection/sillage for an EDT. This outlasted other sweet scents like Fantasy, Can Can, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique vanillas.
Id resist the urge to spray on too much because it seems some peoples noses get used to it and they don't notice how strong it can be to others.
P.S. Labeling a scent and its lovers "juvenile" or "old-lady" based on its smell is culturally-subjective and more than a bit close-minded, not to mention nonconstructive for the people trying to decide if they should try a product. It's either your taste or not.
Alternatives:
Body Fantasies Cotton Candy Fantasy - brighter, stronger strawberry
Gale Hayman Delicious Cotton Candy - a little strong on the bergamot/citrus. Resembles a more plasticky Eau de Shalimar.
L de Lolita Lempicka - emphasizes the orange, sugary-vanilla and slight spice tones of Pink Sugar; no cotton candy or burnt notes.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I live in Australia where this is a relatively unheard of fragrance. This is a smell which will reap you numerous compliments, ranging from both men and women. Men especially. It's a proven fact, read the numerous reviews before me. I believe it's one of those smells that everybody likes upon first 'sniff'. I wore this for the first time Wednesday. My friend, upon arrival, told me I smelt "beautiful, like cotton candy", the waitress at the restaurant told me I smelt "so good" and "so much better" than all the food she'd been around all day. Five hours after parting ways with the same friend, he told me he could still smell me and that he "loved it". On the way home, a woman on the bus asked me what I was wearing. I was overwhelmed with how many compliments I received on it in just one night, - I've never once received as much as a comment when wearing Chanel or Prada. For the price, staying power, and the appeal it seems to have with people, this will always be one of my favourite fragrances. Love it.

on 4/2/2011 12:49:00 AM

Love the scent--can be addicting!
Gets attention, and positive feedback.
However, the "spritzers" on the last two bottles I bought malfunctioned (OK-broke!) when the bottles were still about 1/2-2/3 full. After that, I lost about half of every "spritz" down the side of the bottle. Hesitate to buy again for that reason.

**After writing this, skimmed back through a couple hundred other reviews and saw that I'm not the only one who's had a problem with the sprayer.

As for this being a "love it or hate it" fragrance--wow. Surprised at the vitriol from some of the "hate it" crowd.
Hey, it's just scent--it's all for fun! So what if it's tea roses, pink grapefruit, cut grass, oxidized aluminum, old books, burnt wood, hot rubber, or...cupcakes--it's about whatever makes YOU feel good--whatever your age.

This is one of my staple scents and I always go back to it. It's a good switch from LaVanila's Vanilla Grapefruit, as they are similar scents, with the Vanilla Grapefruit being a bit more complex and woody, but still in keeping with the powdery-sweet-confectionary fun that is Pink Sugar. Yes, PS smells like cotton candy, but on my skin, depending on the day and the weather, its notes range from pure-pink, cotton candy-and-strawberry sweetness, to luxurious caramel drizzled in vanilla, sitting atop a small mound of the pink candyfloss. I think the heat brings out more of the caramel-vanilla notes so in the wintertime, it's just mostly pink candy for me, which is still YUM, but not quite as enticing. I would have given it five lippies if it had just a bit more vanilla in favor of all of the strawberry. If, like me, most florals make you gag, you'll most likely adore this scent. I think it could appeal to vanilla-lovers and fruity-sweet-scent-lovers, alike. It's everything girly and fun, from the CandyLand-inspired packaging to the cute pink bottle itself, it radiates the joy of childhood and of being a girl and can lead one to embrace that inner child who would rather skip the black in favor of pink lace and frills, eat frosted cupcakes instead of veggies and spend all of her money on kittens instead of paying bills - all of those things you dreamed, as a child, that you'd be able to do as an adult (or was that just me?). It's fun to embrace the fantasy that is Pink Sugar and it's a nice escape from the day-to-day realities that make up real life. I would recommend it for daytime wear, as the sillage isn't bad and it's long-lasting enough to make it through the day, but it doesn't belong in any sort of a setting that's conducive to seduction or business or any sort of serious endeavor. On the other hand, men do seem to like it quite a bit, so if you're looking to snag a guy, it may be an appropriate tool, but keep it on the shelf if you're headed out to a 5-Star restaurant with your beau (or bella). Save it for weekends and playtime and possibly bedtime (if you're craving sweet dreams) and it will add to your sense of happiness in those settings. Think pink and embrace your inner GIRL (we all have one) and you will understand just how awesome Pink Sugar can be.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

The official scent of the seventh grade.

on 5/4/2008 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My boyfriend went out with me and bought this for my birthday in Sephora last night. I have had my eye on this perfume for a while now, ever since I sprayed it on my wrist a few months ago. The scent is so warm and comforting that I just couldn't stop taking a sniff every few minutes of my wrist, and what's great about it is that it lingers for ages, and each time you smell it, you get a hint of something a little different. In my opinion, this scent is not for little girls at all. It's gourmand, yes, but it is extremely complex. I think it's more for anyone who is young at heart, and loves the scent of all things sweet, warm, and cozy. Two sprays maximum is the best way to use this fragrance, because it lasts so great and is best when used in moderation. I spray once on my neck and blend it behind my ears, and once on my wrist and rub them together. This is plenty enough. I'm also sensitive to many scents, but this does not give me headaches at all, and does not irritate my skin. Pink Sugar lasts me up until I wash it off in the shower, and during the day it doesn't stay sickly strong. It dulls a bit, just so that it is like a 'glowy warmth' on my skin. There's always someone who turns around and says, "what is that smell?", and guys really do love it. On my skin, it's like warm caramel with notes of cotton candy and licorice. The scent changes sometimes though, so I never get tired of it. My grandfather wanted to go and buy it for his wife, my dad couldn't stop smelling the bottle, and my boyfriend is so picky... But after smelling Pink Sugar on me, he said, "Wow. That stuff really does smell good." And with that said, he kept smelling me. Haha. He has never said that about any other perfume he has smelled or that I have worn. The bottle is also cute. It comes in almost a cardboard tube that is decorated the same way as the bottle; baby pink swirls on white canvas. It is easy to manage and I'd gladly put it out on my dresser for show. For a perfume, it's also pretty cheap. So, with that said, I'd go out and buy Pink Sugar again when my bottle runs out. I have a feeling that it will take a while since you only need so little product, but I definitely will.

Popular Fragrances