Aquolina Pink Sugar

3.7

1925 reviews

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

So, remember when you were a little kid and you could never get enough sugar, and candy was the best thing of all time ever? And then remember that time some grown-up--maybe a grandparent or a great-aunt or something--offered you a piece of candy and you got all excited...only then to discover that the "candy" in question was actually a plug of some gross rooty old black licorice? Remember how utterly devastating and upsetting that was?

...Yeah. This has got to be the cruellest bait-and-switch in all perfumery.

When you first take a sniff of it in the bottle or the vial, it presents itself as a sweet little riff on ethyl maltol, the "cotton candy" (or "candyfloss" for you Brits out there) aromachemical. It smells great: like spun sugar and carmelized sugar and various vanillaish things and maybe just a bit of red berry. It's a smell that goes straight to whatever part of the limbic system it is that houses your proverbial inner child, and that seems perfectly designed to get that inner child all excited, like a little kid just entering the fairgrounds. Cotton candy! Cotton candy and CARAMEL! Candycandycandycandycandy!!! Yaaaaaay!

Then you make the mistake of spraying it or dabbing some on, and all of a sudden this enormous black licorice and melted plastic hybrid--this unspeakable BEAST--rears up out of nowhere, roaring and rampaging and trampling you underfoot until you're left rocking back and forth, wailing in horror like Nancy Kerrigan after she took one to the knee. "Why? Why??? WHY???!!??"

Seriously, what did they DO to that poor ethyl maltol to make it smell like that? And what could the poor ethyl maltol possibly have done to deserve such treatment?

On the plus side, at least now I know what that black licorice fragrance I've been smelling everywhere for the past couple of years is. It never even occurred to me that it might be Pink Sugar. I'd been assuming that it was, I dunno, Lolita Lempicka or something -- you know, something that is *known* for its licorice note -- because seriously, who would guess that a fragrance called "Pink Sugar" and marketed with all of that pink fluffy cotton candy imagery would actually turn out to smell like a plug of some thick rooty old black licorice? Not I, that's for sure. Crazy old world, innit?

Crazy old world...and a *very* cruel perfume.

on 7/2/2010 3:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

As previous reviewers have mentioned, once you've had a sniff of this, you'll know if it's love or hate - few people waiver in between. Well, bless the lovers, but this is one of my most hated perfumes. It contains notes of musk, vanilla, berries, cotton candy, and a few other sweet and fruity ingredients, making it a fruity-gourmand scent, but one spray of this and all you'll get is sugar, sugar, sugar. Then again, it may be different on each individual, and to each nose.

This perfume has one quality that everyone seems to agree on: it is a sweet fragrance regardless of who wears it. It's the olfactory representation of a bright pink, sparkling Care Bear that dreams of rainbows and skips through the berry fields all day. And, just like a Care Bear, there is no mystery to this fragrance, no surprisingly beautiful and inspired notes that linger hours after you first put it on. The composition feels open and innocent and that may be why many people believe it to be a younger woman's fragrance. If all this makes you happy, then by all means, purchase it at once. However, don't be surprised when you get reactions ranging from "You smell like cupcakes!" to "I suppose you just got back from the Coney Island stale cotton candy stand'. Unfortunately, for my Pink Sugar-loving friends, my comments will always veer towards the latter.

on 2/4/2006 9:21:00 AM

Okay so here is the thing about Aquolina's Pink Sugar - people WILL notice you're wearing it and you will love it the first time you wear it, but then, like eating too much candy , you kinda of have to take a break from it for a while (or a month) and then rediscover it on top of your shelf. It is NOT an everyday fragrance, but if you wear it once, it will linger in the most beautiful way on your winter scarf and coat. I always love when a perfume can do that and not make me want to throw everything in the wash: it becomes a calling-card in a way. It is a very youth-oriented fragrance so I am fearful of recommending it to anyone over say 30. Or if you loke it, just don't wear it to the office. Its the 'pink eye shadow' of fragrances, if you get my drift.

on 11/7/2014 5:56:00 PM

OK I am middle aged so marketing says I should not like this - I love it. It is sweet like marshmallow fluff with caramel sauce and candy floss. I would not like this in high summer but in the depths of winter it reminds me of summers at the fairground and that makes me smile. So the marketers can go to hang. I am wearing this with pride.

on 12/11/2012 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Fun and a little naughty to wear but MOST definitely something you want to sample before buying, because the licorice and intense sweetness will turn a lot of people off.
Notes: Bergamot, Sicilian orange, fig leaves, lily, liquorice blossom, red fruits, vanilla, caramel, woodsy and musky notes.
Pink Sugar opens like a plump pillowy piece of sugary-sweet toasted marshmallow with all the brown and caramelized bits thrown in (courtesy of the dark tarriness of liquorice). Then it slowly softens into a cotton candy and bakery scent, with faint traces of fruit flavoring. In the far drydown, I detect a light powdered-sugar musk on my skin.

Surprisingly good lasting power and great projection/sillage for an EDT. This outlasted other sweet scents like Fantasy, Can Can, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique vanillas.
Iíd resist the urge to spray on too much because it seems some peoplesí noses get used to it and they don't notice how strong it can be to others.
P.S. Labeling a scent and its lovers "juvenile" or "old-lady" based on its smell is culturally-subjective and more than a bit close-minded, not to mention nonconstructive for the people trying to decide if they should try a product. It's either your taste or not.
Alternatives:
Body Fantasies Cotton Candy Fantasy - brighter, stronger strawberry
Gale Hayman Delicious Cotton Candy - a little strong on the bergamot/citrus. Resembles a more plasticky Eau de Shalimar.
L de Lolita Lempicka - emphasizes the orange, sugary-vanilla and slight spice tones of Pink Sugar; no cotton candy or burnt notes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I adore this fragrance, wear it everyday, and I'm well over 30. I sense an age-bias forming around this fragrance and encourage women to consider the scent for itself. To me Pink Sugar is a bit more sophisticated and unusual than the average vanilla fragrance -- citrus and sweet candy top notes, warm vanilla and caramel in the dry down. I recommend wearing the scent, rather than just smelling the spray, before you make up your mind since the combo of notes may work differently on your skin. For me, the fragrance lasts all day and doesn't seem to bother friends and coworkers who are sensitive to fragrance. Others comment that the scent makes them want to get closer to me, some even try ... Fortunately, my SO also finds this scent irresistible (And he is, gasp, over 40). For my money, Pink Sugar can be a fun, flirty, sexy, grown-up girly-girl scent. I've already purchased 3 bottles of the 3 oz. size and will certainly replace my current bottle when I've finished.

I bought this once and HATED it. I expected a sweet candy smell but the only note I smelled was licorice. It drowned out everything else on my skin. I gave it to my daughter. All these years later I decided to order it again and this time it is MUCH better. This new bottle does not have the same licorice only note....Perhaps I had a bad bottle? I did order from ebay.

This is a completely difference fragrance to me in comparison to two years ago. I am also 48. Older people CAN pull this off. I actually get compliments wearing it whereas I get none wearing all of my expensive Diors.

on 8/24/2017 3:02:00 PM

Well well well... if it isnt my adolescence in a bottle haha.

I wore this religiously for a few years when i was about 20ish and always received compliments, especially from men, while wearing this. It smells heavily of vanilla, like you bathed in cupcakes.

Its cheap enough and is in a very cute bottle. Although i loved it a long time ago, unfortunately i find the smell far too sweet for my liking now.

When I first bought Pink Sugar I didn't think I would end up loving it as much as I do now. It's not too expensive yet I get the most complimented on this scent in comparison to my more expensive perfumes (Chanel, YSL, Viktor & Rolf). I always get stopped by people asking what I'm wearing or to compliment me! People of all ages, both female and male always always always tell me I smell pretty when I'm wearing this. I'm almost done with my bottle and I only bought it around the end of February this year!

Horray for cotton candy!!

Reminds me of being a kid at a carnival. I feel so playful when I wear this scent. So original. Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? It's an everyday "pick-me-upper". It's great that it's not another overwhelming girly floral scent, like all the other perfumes. It's perfect, my favorite scent!

Popular Fragrances