Vaseline Petroleum Jelly

4.5

White Petrolatum

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I'd never came across vaseline until I went for a skin resurfacing laser years ago, which left the skin raw and red. The doctor only gave vaseline and nothing else until it fully recovers. My skin healed like a breeze.
Afterwards I kept repurchasing it.

Before that i had never used such thick stuff on my face because of my oily skin, so i was surprised it worked.

Now I occasionally layer it over lotions and eye creams. On hand, face, elbows, feet, cuticles, hair, lash, lips, everywhere!

It keeps my skin soft everywhere without causing any sensitivity or breakout in hot and humid Singapore. And I always bring it with me when I travel to anywhere colder, especially when I'm unsure of how my skin will act.

I'll always keep a bottle a home for it's multi purpose usage. Thumbs up!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I tried using this for lip moisturizing and it did not work at all. The consistency is so offensive I wouldn't consider using it for anything else.

on 5/25/2016 8:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My god it actually pains me to write this, but this stuff is kind of awesome. It's a great night time eye treatment; great for my super dry lips and hands. And for my so dry they're itching and cracking feet it's a legit miracle. But ugh. It's petroleum jelly and it smells faintly of crude oil and it's not remotely cruelty free but it's still awesome and only $4 for a big tub and I'm sure I'll keep using it despite all that.

on 3/29/2016 4:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

Basically I agree with everyone else here. The key is you have to know how to use it. I don't use this all over my face just on areas that tend to be a bit drier than others. It doesn't moisturize, it seals in moisture. So I always use a tiny bit on damp skin after I wash my face and it's helped make some fine lines disappear and prolong softness. I never have a problem with breakouts either. I can get massive tub of this at Walmart for $4. Also make sure you're buying VASELINE and not off brand Petroleum Jelly. Vaseline is refined in a way most off brand versions are not. This is important because Vaseline won't clog your pores which I'm not sure can be said for the other stuff.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Love this for my dry face skin. I get gross patches that screw up my foundation and I've started using this and my face is so smooth. Also using it under eyes is amazing I noticed an overnight change in my undereye bags. It does not moisturize it just creates a barrier so if you apply your faceface moisturizer aND then Vaseline over it, your skin will be so soft. I've never had breakouts from it. Great for overnight. I had a chemical burn on the corner of my mouth and I put vitamin e, then Vaseline to lock it in, and then translucent powder to make it not shiny during the day. It worked like a charm and I didn't have a glaring red spot drying out all day.

on 5/2/2016 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I like the Vaseline brand in general, but since I wanna go cruelty free, I won't purchase their products anymore. The product is a classic staple though indeed, nothing wrong with the quality or it's versatility. Don't like the smell too much though, but since they've launched different smells, that doesn't have to be an issue either.
I shifted to use Kaufmann's Kindercreme, which is a cruelty free, supermild, very affordable, beautifully smelling baby salve that does the same thing. Great for overnight, lips, feet, elbows, and all other dry spots that need extra care. :)

Pro:
- great for dry spots/patches
- feels comfortable on dry patches
- goes a long way
- the cocoa butter one smells amazing

Con:
- not cruelty free
- petroleum smell with the regular one
- can feel greasy if applied too generously

on 3/18/2016 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline is amazing! The trick with using it is understanding what it is. It's an occlusive, it won't moisturize on it's own, but it will seal in moisture. Like the reviewer below me said, the key is to use it sparingly to avoid the gross greasy feeling. A lot of people think Vaseline breaks them out, but it's more likely they are using it an unhygienic manner, thus spreading or causing breakouts. If you dip dirty fingers in the tub, the tub will be contaminated. If you rub dirty fingers on your breakouts, it will make them worse. If you put it on over makeup or a dirty face, it will make breakouts worse. I have been guilty of these. It really sucks, but you just constantly have to wash your hands when you have acne prone skin. The slightest failure to do so, and BOOM, breakout town. But yeah, Vaseline is awesome for sealing in moisture. I use it on my lips, on a chapped nose, sores, cuticles, a breakout that needs a bit of help healing, all of that after my usual moisturizer. It will draw the whitehead out of a zit. Use the tiniest dab as a brow wax, use it for shinier eyelashes. I love it. Just remember, a little goes a long way! Oh yeah, on cracked heels too...really, it's a staple for a reason.

Update: Don't know why I wasn't doing this before, but I've started layering Vaseline over moisturizer on fine lines (especially eyes), and they are seriously plumped up and much less detectable. This product is truly a super boost to moisturizer. Love it.

Update number two: Okay, I have to update my review AGAIN, because this product has truly become a holy grail for me, and I don't say those words lightly. Finally worked up the nerve to join the "slug life" (skincare addiction reddit) and use Vaseline as an all over night cream over my regular moisturizer, and it has made my skin soft, supple, dewy, and my issues with flakiness have disappeared. So happy! I also use it over my body moisturizer, especially knees and elbows. But the craziest thing is I have replaced my deodorant with Vaseline! I have sensitive armpits and it seems like every deodorant eventually causes stinging and a rash. I read online to try a little bit of straight Vaseline rubbed in to help, and holy crap, it totally soothes and works to prevent sweat and odor for hours. WAY BETTER than any store bought deodorant I have ever tried. How frustrating to end up with a rash from something that I would sweat through within an hour anyway. Vaseline solved that. I will never be without a tub of Vaseline again. It's a miracle product.

on 2/4/2016 9:27:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I buy this in a tube. This is HG for life! I use it under my eyes and only just a tiny dot of it. I use it when I get a dry patch on my face. (On damp skin after I wash my face.) It seals in moisture, does not trap heat in, and does not break me out. I have rosacean, sometimes dry, sometimes breakout prone skin and this has never done anything but help fix my problems. Granted, I do not slather it all over my face so I don't know how it works as an all over facial moisturizer. I would be open to using it all over my face though. It's also good for dry feet. Petroleum jelly gets alot of hate from people I know but it works amazingly well for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

This is a real gem, but the trick is to use it sparingly. After applying your moisturizer, take a pea size and rub it in your palms, then just dab it over your face. Your skin will feel real soft the next day. I also like to apply a thick layer on my dry lips. The only downside is it feels sticky.

I like to use it with diluted glycerin. Give it a try!