Chanel Rouge Noir

Chanel Rouge Noir
CHANEL Rouge NoirRouge Noir

4.4

on 10/24/2011 2:32:00 PM

A must-have colour for times when you want to look like you mean business. Given its depth of pigment, never fails to lend a level of sophistication to an outfit. Have had one for some years (used only occasionally) and it's still operational, so a testament to the quality of Chanel varnish.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The cult classic, Rouge Noir, is a very dark red, almost like blood. As I'm one to reach for dark polishes, this is actually my favourite. I've had this nail polish for a while but at around AUD$39, it doesn't come cheap. However, I don't wear nail polish all the time but when I do, this is the one I reach for first. I love the packaging: it's so chic. The brush is so easy to work with and it doesn't really matter how messy I apply the polish on, it ends up look smooth and nicely done when it's dried (for some reason)
As for drying time, I think it dries pretty fast. I don't really have anything bad to say about it except the price, but considering that it's Chanel, it's worth it because the first time I applied it on, I felt like a million bucks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

While I like the color it somehow doesn't really look too flaterring on me. It's somewhat too dark, almost black and I am not really into gothic style. I do wear it every now and then when the whole world seems to be against me and I would like to show that I am tougher than I look :-) Staying power is not impressive. It chips in about 3 days or so. Wouldn't re-purchase but I am not disappointed that I have it.

on 6/27/2011 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Most gorgeus and classic nail colour. I always find myself coming back to it <3

on 2/28/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I was hoping Rouge Noir going to be the blackened red creme I've been searching for. I mean, it's called Rouge Noir right?

Should have called it Rouge Marron instead.

It's dark red in the bottle, but it's definitely got a distinct brown tinge to it. Doesn't work with my True Winter colouring at all. It doesn't look anything close to red once I get it onto my nail, just brown.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really love this color - it was my favorite color for years! I first got it when I saw Uma Thurman wearing it in "Pulp Fiction". It's the most gorgeous, vampy color. It appears to be almost black but it's really a very deep red/chocolate shade. It's super-glossy which means it always looks wet, which I love. On my toenails it lasts until I choose to take it off - it doesn't chip. But on my fingernails it lasts about 3 days before chipping (I'm quite hard on my nails). The consistency is fairly thin. The brush isn't very wide, which annoys me a bit but this polish self-levels beautifully so I NEVER end up with streaks or uneven color. I find I get really good coverage with 2 coats but 3 makes the color exceptional. I wouldn't buy it again though because I've "been there, done that" with this color and when I want a vampy shade now I don't want any chocolate color in it.

on 1/19/2011 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Love this nail polish. I first bought this after Pulp Fiction first came out, when I was a student, and it was the first top end nail polish I bought. The colour is great, with a fantastic shine/finish. You can tell this is a good quality polish. I usually use DS polish, but this just feels like a real luxury to use. Love it. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but I have re bought this and use it regularly on and off.

on 2/6/2011 4:17:00 AM

Classic, sexy, dangerous - it doesn't get any better than this. This perfect deeeeeep red/black creme is old school style glamour. It's the kind of cool that never goes out of style. The quality is what you expect from Chanel and the price - great pigment, full coverage in two coats (have done one in a pinch). It looks great on short nails (think Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction), goes on smooth and is reasonably long lasting. You definitely need to use a good top coat though, or else you'll end up finding rubs/streaks of color if you drag a nail across a book, papers, etc.

A HUGE downside for those of us in the USA - it's not sold at the Chanel counters here anymore. I swear that this color was the orginal one called Vamp, but the Vamp sold here now is a totally different color - a deep red/purple, metallic/shimmer, not the red/black creme that is Rouge Noir. I wish Chanel would sell both colors here and then there would be something for everyone. Clearly there is a loyal fan base for both.

It's a shame that I have to hunt it down on Ebay, hope it's not fake, and pay a ridiculously steep price for a nail polish (double the price of one of the already most over-priced brands around), stock up when I'm in Europe, or beg friends when they're going to bring me back a few bottles.

I have no common sense when it comes to this polish, and all the knock-offs I've tried just don't quite get it right. So I pay, pay, pay. Can't resist and it's a staple of my polish collection. I'm down to my last bottle right now, so I'm on the hunt again!

If you find it, try it - you'll love it. But know what you're getting into.

And Chanel - please - have some pity on all us Rouge Noir devotees in the US and bring it back!

on 11/16/2010 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

cherry dipped in chocolate? Such a gorgeous colour, I call it a femme fatale colour, one of my fav.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this colour! Amazing coverage and wear. The most beautiful deep red. I have been re buying for years. Classic!

Popular Polishes