MAC Matte - Soft Brown

MAC Matte - Soft Brown

4.6

on 11/16/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Great, very useful, neutral shadow. Sort of the color of silly putty - a pinky-browny-taupey color.

Me - NC15, dark red hair, green eyes, freckles, 44 years old.

I use this as a crease color for a no-makeup makeup - it helps to push back the hooded area without looking harsh. Works well with lots of other shadows, too - browns, greys, plums, olivey greens. Great as an edge blender, also works as a cheek contour and brow color for warm golden blondes, redheads and light warm brunettes, too. Versatile, albeit uninteresting as an overall lid color.

While Soft Brown is very useful and a no-thought color, I actually prefer Texture as a more statement making but still soft crease tone. Texture gives a Rodarte Spring 2012 caramel-sepia-light rust sort of look. While Rule is definitely orange on my skin, Texture is a hint of browned down orange that really gives my face a lovely lift.

So - if you have Soft Brown but find it a bit lackluster, try Texture.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

At first when I bought this, I regretted it. I bought it as an outer lid color, but it was pretty much the same color as my lid, and it was just a little darker, which was really annoying.

However, I also use embark as a crease color, and I noticed that embark was really pigmented, and sometimes I would put too much. It could also be tricky to blend. So that's where this eye shadow came in. I mix this and embark together for a perfect soft crease color, and I in general use it as a blending color for dark brown shadow. And it worked great for that purpose.

So I'm not regretting the bucks I spent for this, because this actually a very versatile color. If you're fair skinned, get this for your crease. If you're dark skinned, use it on your lid. And if you're neutral like me, use it as a blending color! I just may repurchase...

on 9/5/2011 2:52:00 PM

I am amazed at how much I like this!! As I say in every review, I am really cool toned and any time I want to do browns they turn ruddy or orange-y on me a lot of the time so I am always scared of that. And as many commenters have said, this DOES have an orange undertone in it (or peach, I suppose).

I went in to have an MUA help me out with a look for my brother's wedding and she used this with jest on the lid and blackberry in the outer v. Even though it looked really nice I was still feeling like I should try a cooler brown. I went home and tried to recreate the look using wedge and it just didn't look as nice. I did everything I could to avoid buying the soft brown because I thought sure I'd never use it again. It's become a staple. It pairs wonderfully with jest and you can put something a little cooler in the outer v to bring it together. So, it's great for me, because I always have trouble with my cool skin tone and warm toned eyes. It is very buildable and I love the texture and find it really easy to blend too, It is great for a really natural look. If you have coloring like me, try this one and see if you really like it rather than dismissing on first sight. You may be surprised!

on 5/16/2011 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Soft Brown pulls peach on me, which I don't like, BUT if I put if lightly in my crease with Brule on the lid and brows, the peach barely shows when my eyes are open and it just gives a slight warmth to my eyes and makes my big brown eyes really stand out. I'm Asian with lt-med skin and yellow undertones.

I had this color for a while, I never get to use it, but recently I've been using it to make my smokey eyes even or I pair it with brule, this is a good transition color or just for everyday use, not too harsh and only gives a neutral look. It's not on my ignore list anymore because I use it almost everyday!

on 12/5/2010 7:27:00 PM

I nearly returned this shadow because it was so dry/matte (crumbling a bit when I opened it) and it looked very meh.

I'm so glad I kept it. It's the perfect crease/blending color for my skin tone and eye shadow palette. Works with smokey eyes, light neutral eyes. It's the little shadow that could!

on 11/28/2010 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

At first I didn't know what to do with this shadow. It just seemed SO matte that it looked heavy on my lids. However, I discovered that it's an awesome crease colour with shimmery gold shadow on the lid. Really makes my green eyes POP and tones down the shimmery lid colour. I like this with Gold Mode pigment and Stila Sun or Oasis e/s especially.

on 10/28/2010 6:57:00 PM

I'm just echoing the other glowing reviews for this shadow. It's wonderful as a crease color for a daytime, work-appropriate smokey eye. I find it a little hard to work with because it's matte, but this could be equally attributed to my lousy blending skills. In any case, this is a lovely color for N20 people.

on 7/17/2010 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Love it as a crease colour, blending colour or even a brow colour in my more reddish days. it's a real soft brown with a tad of orange. I really like this!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great warm light brown color but the formula is severely lacking. It's dry and doesn't apply easily like Bobbi Brown, for example. It also kind of sits on top of your skin (even applied lightly) rather than meshing with it. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a really great color and formula.
Update: I still wish this was smoother but I'm using it again and love how it wears without creasing. And the color is typical MAC - great.