L.A. Girl LA Girl Pro Coverage HD Illuminating Foundation

L.A. Girl LA Girl Pro Coverage HD Illuminating Foundation

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought this foundation online because of the beauty youtuber hype. I initially noticed the lightest shade (porcelain) was orange based so I ordered their white mixer to make it paler. I have slightly dry acne prone skin.The application itself was okay & almost medium coverage, but I just dislike like the formula/texture. Its too dewy, just floated on the skin, emphasized pores & lines, caked & separated in places, and just looked weird. It creased under my eyes badly even when I didn't use it alone! I couldn't wait to wash it off. I initially noticed my pores were more clogged than usual and then two days later I got several severe cystic acne spots (which I rarely get). Now I know why it was so cheap.

I've seen a lot of You tubers Reviewing this foundation and most seem relatively positive, and I can see why. It has a nice light feel for such a full-ish coverage, and it never felt heavy or greasy as it wore. I bought "Vanilla" which was a good color match for my pale, neutral-toned skin. I dotted it on and applied it with a brush. Initially the coverage looked good. A little bit of the product goes a long way. As it dried down, however, I found that in the areas where I'd applied a heavier layer, the excess caked and looked heavy, and made me look older, and I have really clear, even skin. So next I tried using a lighter hand -- even though I had used a small amount of product the first time. It looked better, though the coverage wasn't exactly what I wanted. I tried it with a silicone-based primer, and that didn't seem to make any difference. The formula just didn't seem to sit properly on my mature combo skin. It wasn't particularly illuminating, which I liked, but wasn't matte either, which I also liked. I'm giving it a higher score because it went on nicely, didn't oxidize and the color was a good match. I think it's a really good foundation, especially for the price, even if it isn't for my type of skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

So i thought i'd submit a review for this new LA girl foundation since there isn't too much info available as yet.
I bought this recently because the packaging was awesome and it excited me. Yeah.. impulse buy! Don't know what possessed me to buy an illuminating foundation when i have super oily skin. So anyway, i am somewhere smack in the middle of NC42 - 44. Can lean closer to either way, depending on the season. And the shade i picked was Bronze.

The packaging is a classy plastic bottle that comes with a pump and a cover. Yay for hygiene! The bottle is double-walled, so you can't predict your shade by just looking at it. Please test it before buying! really!

My first attempt scared me a little...it was sooo orange and seemed a bit too dark. And yes, it was super dewy. I set it with Palladio rice powder but i quickly became shiny...a greaseball really. It looked gross as the day went on. Was super bummed as i couldn't return or exchange it since i had bought it during a discounted clearance sale. Not that it was thattt cheap a discount too! But its the wastage that mostly bothers me. Besides i'm pretty sure the shades up and down were too light and too dark respectively.
So anyway, I suffered with orange face through a whole work day, although i must say, it didn't look too bad in natural light.

Second attempt....because i'm not a quitter! I tried it again. This time, i only used a teeny bit of my Benefit porefessional primer to dab on the cheeks where i have some scarring and nowhere else. I applied a lesser amount of the foundation and dabbed with my RT blender. It does spread easily and smoothly and i would say coverage is medium. This time i set it with my Ben Nye Neutral Set powder and the banana powder under the eye.
This took away all the shine and gave it a matte finish that was beautiful. The powder also seemed to correct the orangeness of the foundation. I was actually really pleased with how smooth and flawless my skin looked! I will use it as a day to day foundation until i use up but i probably won't repurchase. Look at the cons for why!

Pros:
- Packaging is great. Looks on par with high end foundations with the exception of plastic instead of glass. Who cares?
-Comes with a pump!
-Will look great on dry-skinned ladies who want a bit of a glow
-Can work for oily skinned ladies with a (very good) mattifying powder
-Easy to blend and doesn't settle into pores
-Applied with the RT sponge, there was no caking or creasing (I can imagine this happening if too much product is used though)
-Gives a beautiful finish if you don't use too much
-Lasts throughout an entire workday and doesn't oxidize.

Cons
-Shades lean a little too orange/red (at least the darker ones)
-Not transfer proof (it even stained the wire of my earphones) - This is a deal breaker for me.
-It has a fairly strong synthetic scent which I hate but it dissipates after application.
-Cannot be used without a good mattifying powder for oily skinned people or you will look like a ball of grease right off the bat.
-Might not work well with primers if you have oily skin