Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 8/14/2017 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Initially, the texture of this product turn me off. Then I tried applying it with a slightly damp face or when I had just applied a moisturizing toner. This helps break up the grit and help it sink into your skin. I still only use this at night but I definitely see results.

on 8/12/2017 7:17:00 AM

These are excerpts from a more detailed review I did (on about Pg 5 or 6 under “Suez777”).

Yes this product is initially not pleasant to use. It's a “dry” (ie: waterless) formula which needs moisture to break down the Vitamin C crystals, hence the inclusion of moisture-attracting Hyaluronic Acid (among other things). Water in Vitamin C formulations is problematic because it can cause the product to oxidise, turning it yellow, deep orange or brown. Once this happens it chemically changes from an ANTI-oxidant, which will prevent free radicals from damaging the cells of your skin to a PRO-oxidant which, in short, *encourages* free radicals to damage your skin.

Being 23% this can REALLY sting on first application when your skin is not used to such a high concentration. But if you smooth on an additional layer of Hyaluronic Acid first (which The Ordinary stock, and which this product already contains) then, before it dries add the C23, it eliminates the stinging immediately - GONE within 10 seconds!
This method is far superior to applying to damp skin (which, on me, only lessened the sting a fraction) or mixing with a moisturiser (which will impede maximum absorption).

I've very comfortably been able to use this C23 six or seven times since adding the extra HA layer, and also found that it in no way interfered with my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.

So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

And persistence will be rewarded - after only a few applications your skin will be noticeably brighter and more even-toned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results after 3 months.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (combined with an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin.
Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products). And again, just let them both sink in (don't rub).

NB: I also find that a richer, thicker emollient moisturizer helps it all to soak in - sometimes even two coats of moisturizer if there are still a few granules yet to be absorbed. (And slather it on. Skin seems to drink up moisturizer after applying the C23).

After reading reviews about this I decided to try it out as it is cheap and I knew to be cautious about initial discomfort. I have used other vitamin c serums before in various strengths so I am familiar with the effects.
My God! Discomfort!?! Burning like someone threw acid in my face. I tried it in microscopic amounts, before and after moisturiser and every other soothing carrier I could think of. Agony, redness, lumps. I looked like I had aged 10 years overnight.
If I wanted to look and feel this bad I could just go and stay with my mother in law who, according to my daughter,is so evil she drinks unicorn blood to survive.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I wanted so badly for this product to help with my acne scarring and pigmentation but alas it has been over a month and I'm not seeing much change, on top of that the gritty texture of the formulation doesn't help its cause.

For those who love the product and are seeing results, I've read that it helps to have your skin super hydrated before applying the Vitamin C (toner beforehand) and another tip was to mix it with a Hyaluronic acid product, apparently that helps with the absorption as well (this tip was provided by someone who works at The Ordinary to a beauty blogger). But basically the grittiness was on purpose as it's a more powerful dose for our skin.

Good luck to those seeing results! Will not be repurchasing this one.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

In February I introduced Vitamin C into my routine in the morning to help brighten my complexion and fade my pigmentation from acne in the past. The first one I used was the Clique Fresh Pressed Vitamin C serum, then the Hylamide Vitamin C oil, followed by The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23 % and now I am trying Drunk Elephant C Firma.

I prefer to use Vitamin C in the morning because I use a AHA or BHA lotion at night. I use vitamin C after I have cleansed my face in the morning on bare clean skin. I do this mainly because I feel as if its having the best effect as the first step but that might not be scientifically correct. I then follow the Vitamin C with a hydrating serum and then a water based moisturizer for the morning followed by SPF. Done!

The Ordinary Vitamin C is a gritty Vitamin C powder suspended in a white "cream". It is suspended in the cream to make powder stable. Because of this it has a gritty texture. In my opinion the grit doesn't really go away and is very difficult to work it in to your skin. It feels like an exfoliation when you are rubbing it in. The rough texture plus the vitamin c means this can very easily aggravate sensitive skin or even skin that isn't particularly sensitive like mine. I usually don't get red from Vitamin C, but this one really stung and was made worse by the fact you have to rub it in a lot to get the grit to go down. This is why I have rated it soo low. I just can't get along with the texture.

At this point I cannot speak for the benefits of the Vitamin C on the fading of pigmentation or brightening because I have only used this 5 times. I did not see immediate brightening or fading. I can't keep using it because its too irritating due to the gritty texture. I like the squeezy package and it gets bonus points for being so affordable. However I would prefer to spend more (which I know is a privilege) for a formula that is easier to use and feels better.

Sorry Deciem! Love the Hyaluronic Acid thought :)

on 8/9/2017 8:56:00 PM

I have been using this product now for a few months consistently, every other night. I have normal skin, 37 years old. I also use a tretinoin gel in my skin care routine. The first few applications of this vitamin c cream made my skin feel very uncomfortable because of the tingly feel, however I stuck to it and eventually my skin got accustomed to it. The texture and consistency is perfectly fine to me. I apply on a cleansed face and follow with a moisturizer after letting it absorb for about 30 min if I have time. The price is great and the results can't be beat! The morning after application I sometimes do a double take in the mirror because my skin is so bright and clear! I finished a bottle of the Drunk Elephant C-firma prior to this cream but I did not see the same results as with this product, plus I just can't justify spending the 100.00 CAD. The only gripe I have with this product is that the tube is so small! Though I won't complain as the price and results are so worth it! I also use the Buffet and Niacinemide (also from The Ordinary) every so often but I find keeping it very simple with the two main actives, plus some facial oils and good moisturizers (I love Egyptian Magic) in my routine really does wonders for my skin.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I like this stuff. A lot. I know the texture is grainy, and the packaging not great, but the cost and how it make my skin look is more than worth it. It is recommended to use this as a night treatment anyway so I have no issues with how it looks under makeup. I put this on a clean face, and the first few times I used it it was very tingly - almost uncomfortably so. It's a similar feeling to the green apple Peel if you have ever used that. If you fan you face for a few minutes tho it's fine. The next morning my skin looks amazing. Clear, glowing and even. The change in my skin since switching to The Original regime has been remarkable.

I so so badly wanted to love this product but I really don't. The gritty texture is annoying, but what kills this for me is that it is impossible to use in a routine: it pills SO badly that I can only use it at night on its own because it pills in combination with absolutely everything. I did read they will be bringing out a high % vit C in a different formulation so I hope those work out because I wont be re purchasing this one.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I did not enjoy this product. The grittiness of the HA spheres was too much for me to bear. Effects similar to other vitamin C products.

on 7/11/2017 9:18:00 AM

This is a great product. Deciem say it is their most powerful vit c formulation and the only one I've tried. The texture is weird like they all say, it's a little gritty going on, but not at all uncomfortable. It is oily-feeling right after application, which I like, I skip moisturizer. I use this last after my other serums and treatments, due to the texture, at night, probably 3 times a week. My skin is very soft afterward.