Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

This was voted Best Fragrance by Allure Magazine for 2015. How would I describe it ? If you mixed together Jessica Simpson's "Fancy" and a touch of Thierry Mugler "Angel," I think you would end up with this scent. It's a gourmand with a bit of grit - not cloyingly sweet, thanks to the addition of a coffee note. Others have compared this to Lancome's "La Vie Est Belle" but that scent lacks the sweet component you get with "Black Opium." I am wearing this on one of the hottest days of the summer, but I think this would be a perfect scent for a cool, fall day. When I wear "Angel," I always worry about offending others given its potency but that's not a concern with this scent. It morphs into a sweet, subtle yet noticeable aura. Sadly, it's lacking it terms of longevity - a few hours at best. That is what kept me from giving this a 5-star rating. For the $, I expected more in terms of wear. If you are prepared to reapply, this one is certainly worth checking out for fall.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Black Opium is an edgy, smoky bad girl with a touch of sweetness. Most prominent notes are coffee, jasmine sambac, almond, and vanilla. It's sexy and comforting at the same time. If a fragrance were a place, this would be a coffee shop that served drinks and played jazz at night. Men love it. Similar qualities with Trouble by Boucheron and the cult classic BY by Dolce & Gabanna.

on 7/29/2016 6:44:00 PM

YSL Black Opium is sticky sweet on my skin. I was hoping for a little of the coffee scent that most are smelling. Instead I'm getting a candied fruit bomb with some vanilla thrown in. Also, no traceable patchouli. I think that Lolita Lempicka might be a close cousin.

on 6/11/2016 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I took a chance on the body oil and I am smitten! Love it and even put it on before bed! warm and sweet spicy. But not too much.

i have the travel sized spray of this fragrance, i bought after falling in love with the sample from sephora.

it is a very strong fragrance, so if you are someone who likes light, soft, and airy fragrances, it is not the scent for you.

the scent is very sweet, and a tad musky in my opinion, which makes for a nice balance.

i wear this when i want to feel mysterious and sexy, this and the gucci bamboo are currently my top 2 fragrances when i want to feel this way.

i like to spray this on the back of my neck so that the pulse points there can release the fragance as time goes on. (also because i suffer from allergies, its not that wise to be smelling so much fragrance in general because it will aggravate it, and this way scent will still be on.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is soooo addictive it must contain crack cocaine , the coffee nite stands out fir me first then I get flowers and vanilla in dry down. It's not the most amazing lasting power it wears away fairly quickly I just spray more coz I love it , howeve I bought mine half used on ebay so I'm less bothered as it was a good price if you paid full in shops it may piss u off a bit.
The bottle keeps getting picked up so I know it's a keeper.

on 5/28/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm liking this new YSL Black Opium edp. I get mostly coffee and vanilla, but also liqueur and chocolate, with hints of jasmine and patchouli. Definitely the best coffee fragrance I've encountered, and longer lasting than my testdrive of the current A*men Pure Coffee. A cozy, sexy fragrance. I think men could wear Black Opium too.

Update: I recently got the Black Opium body lotion to go with the EDP. The body lotion is highly fragranced, the fragrance is true to the EDP, however the lotion is thin-textured and full of silicones, so overall it's quite dry within a couple of seconds -- don't expect it to be thick, moisturizing, or have any feeling of oils in it like a traditional fragranced body cream.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I haven't even been interested in trying this because I loathe the original Opium. Turns out I had nothing to be worried about since Black Opium doesn't seem to even be a distant cousin of the original. I love so many things about Black Opium - its creamy vanilla warmth, its sultry-but-sweet spice -- that base note of musk that doesn't overpower. I do wish they had a lighter flanker for summer because it feels too rich and heavy for hot weather but for now I just layer it with one of my lighter fragrances that mixes well with it. I adore this and will never be without it!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is sweet yet warm. I feel like this is good for Fall and early Winter. Or evening if worn in the Summer. I think this is one of those perfumes that you might want to be careful wearing around those with sensitive noses or allergies, as it has some notes that seem would trigger allergies or reactions. I would not wear this to work or to school. Date nites or weddings or that sort of thing...

I like this scent. While there are dozens if not hundreds of perfumes out now with the sweet smell, this one is different. I do not detect patchouli in this but those who do not like patchouli may pick up on it. I just detect a sweet slightly fruity yet warm smell about this. Almost like if you want to smell like a warm fruit pie right out of the oven..?

This is though one of those perfumes that I have better luck 'walking into the fragrance' : ie: I spritz it and 'walk into' the mist. I feel like this is one of those perfumes that if I spray it directly to my wrists or pulse points, it blends badly with my body chemistry.

I will say I think this is a bit over-rated and over-priced..This wears off on me within a couple of hours, and the dry down gets very sweet, almost sickeningly sweet for me..So I would not wear this somewhere that I will have it on all day (again, not to work or to school).

All in all not holy grail for me, and I would not shout out about it, but I may re-purchase it somewhere, some day. Nothing special, but happy to have it in my collection and I can see me definitely using up the entire bottle.

So, I like it but not be all end all like some make it out to be. But fragrance is so subjective, what is holy grail for me I am sure would not be for others. So that is why I stuck with the performance, lasting power and dry-down scent of this as opposed to the overall scent itself. ;)

UPDATE: This review was written based on the many samples I had received of this. I now have the full bottle and I agree with the other reviewers, this is very heavy on the vanilla note (seriously smells like a vanilla spray or candle) and/or this smells like one of the many cheap celebrity fragrances that you can get for a fraction of the price of this. I also agree with the other reviewers that say that this smells like a young girl's scent. As a woman of 45 years old this just does not appeal to me. And there is supposed to be a coffee note in there. I am a coffee freak so I would pick up on a coffee note and I pick up no coffee note. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. But I bought this at Ulta, so it should have been fine!! :( If you like very sweet, very vanilla scents, this might be something you would enjoy. To me it is nothing special. Overpriced imho (which I did say in my initial review). I dropped my initial rating of this from 3 lippies to 2 lippies. Very average scent that is overpriced, and if you are looking at the notes described online for this, you might be disappointed.

on 5/24/2016 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This perfume is absolutely addictive and honestly, I feel that it is appropriate for all genders (well, any gender can wear any perfume, but you get my point). Its darker notes keep it from becoming a chemically one note department store fragrance, the kind that wild eyed women spray on you as you sprint through your local Nordstrom's in the vain hope you'll make it out unscathed.

On me, the patchouli and the coffee meld in to a beautiful, abiding warmth, a dark, sweet musk that hangs around me in a delicate cloud. There's something so intimate about the smell, something that brings to mind a speakeasy or a plush bedroom artfully undone after a night of passion. There's also a subtle edible quality, edging towards vanilla, or maybe a frangipane petit four.

I can't say enough good things about this scent. I will also add that I recommend the roller ball. Something about being able to press it directly in to skin makes it much better. When I had it spritzed on me at my Sephora, I didn't like it as much.

Popular Fragrances