SHISEIDO Ultimune

SHISEIDO Ultimune

3.1

Wat

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I don’t know whom this serum is targeted to because I honestly cannot properly identify its functions or age group.
As much as I like Shiseido products (many items work wonders on my skin, I love their Bio Performance line, I adore the foundations & other makeup items) I really cannot understand Ultimune.
It is a runny , transparent serum that come is a magnificent red designer’s bottle (the wow effect stops at the bottle).
The serum is runny and is almost pure alcohol. I have combo skin and when I put this one on, I can really see my cheek skin getting tight and dehydrated : I can see lines forming!!!.
But nothing else as per hydration properties or smoothing effect.
I think it could work for very oily skin, because alcohol makes the trick, but then a younger audience would never pay the very steep price for this one ( the 30 ml bottle retails in Europe for 80 Euros approx).
I had several samples, that I tried to use up, now I got a 10 ml bottle in a set that I am trying to use but no way, my skin does not agree with it.
I would never buy this serum, and I see really few people that can truly benefit from it.
If you need a really good serum, for ALL skin types that really performs, go for Advanced night Repair, the gold standard for serums.

on 10/17/2016 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

To be honest, I'm not even sure what role this product is supposed to fill in the skincare routine. I guess it's closest to a serum, but it doesn't seem to have enough of an impact to actually be considered one. After using up my deluxe sample, I do feel like my skin is better - i.e., smoother and with less blemishes than usual, but at the same time, I could achieve the same results with products that are far, far cheaper.

And like others have mentioned, the alcohol will be problematic for some people.

Because personally I did experience at least an inkling of something good with this product, I won't rate it low. It just isn't a miracle worker by any means, however.

on 10/12/2016 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Tried this 'serum' out for awhile, twice a day as recommended and I can honestly say it did nothing for my skin -maybe felt a general softness, but my skin is already soft. There is a strong tone of alcohol in the product scent. As the serum dries on the skin I felt a tightening sensation (relieved once I applied moisturizer), I know that serums shouldn't feel that way, hence the alcohol component. Not repurchasing because it's too expensive for not having much performance. There are certainly better products out there

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Because it contains alcohol I won't recommend it. It does make the skin feel good like a very smooth primer. It might 'energize' skin by the tingling effect in reaction to the alcohol and possibly some other ingredients? I was already quite happy with my skincare but this did seem to help a couple of pimples die down. it doesn't do much of anything else for me so I'm giving it an ambivalent rating.

on 6/22/2016 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Thank goodness I didn't pay for this product, but to exchange 3 generous sample size using my Sephora points at the checkout.
Upon home, I checked on the ingredient list, the second ingredient is alcohol denat. (they are afraid to put the entire word, denat. = denature)
It was my first day in biochemistry 101, the professor citing the example of drinking alcohol that felt so "smooooth" as it slide down the throat, well, the alcohol is actually denaturizing the mucous membrane cells in the esophagus.
The putting of alcohol in skincare is just for the pleasant feeling, short term gain, long term loss.
Glad I didn't pay for that, but then not all is loss, I will save it for a bug-bite or a hand sanitizer.

I have a sample from a sampler I got on sephora. I love the scent of the serum but I think that this serum is responsible for clogging my pores. I had 5 pimples and blackheads where I don't normally get clogged pores. I stopped this and my skin has slowly cleared up.

on 4/24/2016 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this product 2 months ago and I am using my second one. I really do not understand why many people do negative comments about it but it is one of the best skincare products I have ever used. My skin is fair-medium combination and sensitive type and allergic. It can be reddish very quickly. Shiseido Ultimune is very convenient for every skin type and if you use it twice a day regularly you can see the difference on your skin after a month. First of all it does not cause any reaction, no pimples.It makes the skin fresh, smooth, glowing and younger after a while. People notice the difference easily and make comments like "your skin looks very healthy and bright."
Also, it definitely increases the effectiveness of other products for skin care if you use ultimune first.
Highly recommend it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

A few weeks ago, I got a bottle of this stuff, which I'd never heard of before, as a points perk at Sephora. I like it so much, I went back and got 2 more points perk bottles, which end up being the equivalent of the smaller sized bottle of this stuff ($78 in Canada). I really like this. I only use it at night, after cleansing and before putting on my night face cream (I switch back and forth between Jouviance Glyco/Laser and Eucerin Q10). I feel like it just adds a little "something" and my skin actually looks smoother when I use it and just looks "happier" as soon as I apply it. I really like that this product comes in two sizes (a "value size" of 1.6 oz for $115, which saves you a few bucks over buying the smaller bottle) AND that I can get this almost for "free" by using my Optimum Points at Shoppers Drug Mart. I'll keep using my points perk bottles and, if I continue to notice the good results and if some new product doesn't come along to distract me, I will most certainly purchase the full size of this product.

on 11/18/2015 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

It's all Birchbox's fault. I would never have even heard of this stuff had I not received it in my Birchbox, and that would have saved me a lot of money. I HATE that I love this product. It makes no sense to me. I am always careful to use products that contain ingredients I've researched that supposedly function to help my particular needs, (i.e. I look for arbutin to help with dark spots, BHAs for my pores, Witch Hazel for soothing without sliming, etc.). But this..."Power Infusing"?? Is this for when my ability to climb walls needs to be recharged? Ingredients-wise there's nothing in this...absolutely nothing...that would draw me to purchase it. I am no chemist, and I'm definitely not a cosmetics chemist, so I cannot figure out how the products ingredients synergize to do what they seem to do! It has Vitamin E...(big deal)...It's also got Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract. I looked this up. Its many names are "Beefsteak Plant", "Basilic Japonais", "Menthe Pourpre", "Huile de Shiso", "Perilla Fructesans"...there are many more.I think it might be possible that the alcohol in this...serum?...enhances penetration of ingredients...rosewater, gingko biloba, thyme, baking soda...(?). I don't know, but all together this is...magical.

The bottom line is this stuff makes my skin feel incredible. It seems to add energy, immediately upon application. It makes my skin soft, with an "outdoorsy glow", and (I have to say it), this smells beautiful. I would wear this as perfume if I could. I admit that the scent could be swaying me to adore this product more than it deserves. It's horribly expensive for what seems to be a super-elegant, luxurious toner. However, I guess I need a super-elegant, luxurious toner because after I finished my Birchbox sample bottle, I was compelled to drop $95 for my own lovely bottle. This just feels fabulous on my skin.

EDIT - I have now purchased my third bottle and I'm still loving it. My skin is clear and soft, and I haven't had a breakout in months.

on 11/11/2015 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

If you are looking for a true serum, this is not it. Unless you have very oily skin, then perhaps you can get away by using this as a serum. I was confused when trying to figure out what this is because it's not a serum, it's not a toner, it's not a moisturizer... so what the heck is it and what's it for? It's an essence, like a loose gel you apply to your skin AFTER toner. Being a loyal Shiseido user, shopping at various cosmetic stores, and having a good friend working in a cosmetic store with Shiseido products, I have been showered with tons of samples from Ultimune; I have accumulated a large stash of this product in sample form. I've gone through about a bottle or two worth of this product over the past year since it came out. Here are my thoughts:

Incorporating this in my routine over the past year, my skin does look and feel smoother, brighter, pores are smaller, more balanced, my skin is plumper, and my skin is very clear, I cannot remember the last time I had a blemish even a tiny one. Approaching 30, I have slowly started to see the first tiny signs of aging, not so prominent ones plus I have "good skin" with an excellent skincare routine, but I have seen enough signs to make me take skincare along with my health, much more seriously. I get compliments on my skin, and get asked skin care advice even from 17-22 year olds so it must mean im doing at least something right.

Here's my routine: wash face, apply toner/softener, apply this Ultimune, treatment serum, and then massage my moisturizer in. Asian skincare has so many steps! It's annoying but it's worth it. The best way I can describe this is from what I read somewhere else saying this is like a multi vitamin for your skin, a booster for the skin AND skincare. This essence absorbs into skin quickly yet, leaves a slightly tacky film behind. Perfect for treatment serums and moisturizers afterwards. If you have combination to dry skin, do not just wash your face, apply this, and be done with it. Your skin WILL be left dry because it is not a moisturizer. Perhaps that is why many people have complained about this. Using this in a full routine is key. This essence reminds me a lot of the Eudermine essence, Shiseidos oldest product that comes in a pretty, Orient, red bottle. Both are similar in texture and what they claim to do, to balance and strengthen the skin. Eudermine is more hydrating and watery, it's more on the toner side of skincare, although it could be used as a light hydrater; and Ultimune is more of a serum/ treatment and not so moisturizing. If I had to pick only one, I would choose Eudermine since it's more versatile. Having either or, it is honestly not necessary or must have. Using Ultimune will not make a MAJOR change in your skin(Or perhaps it does?). Some people say toners, essences, boosters, etc, are not needed in skincare, but it is an extra step that makes me personally feel much better and I do see a difference, small differences, nonetheless every step counts and adds up to achieve the ideal skin.

All in all, this is not an amazing, bells and whistles product. It is something to consider if you want to spend the extra cash for something luxurious and extra additional into skincare. I've had great results using this, and I would absolutely purchase this.