Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 10/15/2008 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

VdN has become my signature fragrance-- it's spicy, soulful, complex yet accessible and eternal. I tried it first in the EDT which, while nice, lasted mere minutes on me. But then I tired the extrait (parfum) and it was love at first inhale, which only increased through all phases including its drydown. The Guerlainade is certainly in evidence, giving VdN a clear connection to Shalimar, but I find VdN more interesting and evocative. It is a timeless and very much still relevant fragrance, unlike almost all the scents developed in the last decade which are "flavor of the month" and fruity, or cloying or simply just annoying. VdN is, in my opinion, Guerlain at its finest!

on 8/22/2008 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Whoa, I'm having some problems with my "The Guide" 5 Stars... first "Chinatown," now this I just can't stand. Okay, I hated this less than the Chinatown but it dried down to what basically smelled like rubber. And not the clean new-tire rubber of "Bulgari Black," but a dirty old rubber ball, like the kind I used to bounce against a wall as a kid. This is weirding me out -- could it be I have a major personal problem with tuberose? I know tuberose has that rubber/butter smell I don't like, personally. But this doesn't have tuberose listed in the notes... Narcissus? Or could it be my chemistry is wacky this week and making everything smell bad? Maybe, but I simply can't say this stuff sucks, for me it just didn't work. I guess that's why perfumes are so fascinating, because how could Dame Diana Rigg be wrong?

on 7/21/2008 10:22:00 PM

I'm really disappointed. I read that it was Diana Rigg's favorite, and that's why I wanted to try it. I tried it twice tonight, and it's - dare I say it - a powdery version of a woman's Old Spice cologne. If anyone wants to trade, just let me know. This perfume, as much as I adore Guerlain scents, is just too woody for me.

I don't like the Guerlinade that starts it off -- that fusty complex sweetish note. But after a couple of hours, it turns into the most incredible soft dark leather -- like the most luxurious library you can imagine. I will be searching for that note in another perfume.

on 7/30/2008 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. Too old-fashion perfumey. This holds no appeal for me personally.

on 8/16/2008 7:47:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I finally get it, having tried Vol de Nuit in pure parfum. I struggled with this for a long time, reading the lyrical reviews and not understanding. When I spritzed it on (in EdT) all I got was a sharpish, leathery, animalic and not very pleasant drydown.

The Parfum is a different beast entirely, because it preserves the Guerlainade sweetness and powderiness. The animalic undertone is still there, making the scent verge interestingly - for me - on repellent. It never teeters over into unwearable because it is perfectly counterbalanced by a rich sweetness. And the result is an evocative beauty - this is what a thirties starlet in furs and lipstick would have worn. Intensely nostalgic.

on 6/7/2008 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Yay! Finally got my hands on a sample of VdN and I love it! The sandalwood in this fragrance is wonderful! I'd put this in the same family as Caron's Tabac Blond. Vol de Nuit and Tabac Blond don't smell the same but they are similar in a smoky vanilla woods kind of way. One reminds you of the other. Will be adding this to my collection ASAP!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I just received my brand new bottle of Vol de Nuit EdT, purchased unsniffed and based on MUA reviews. I agree with a number of reviews and will try to sum it up as best as I can. Vol de Nuit is similar to Shalimar minus the cloying saccharine quality I dislike in Shalimar. It resembles Jicky, with the animalic note smoothed down a little and the herbal note is not as sharp, making it much easier to wear and devastatingly melancholy. It suits my personality and melds with my chemistry so well, it doesn't smell at all like perfume on me. However I uncomfortable wearing it. It reminds me of a very sad time in my life.

on 7/15/2008 12:39:00 AM

I'm reviewing the EDT only, and my bottle is from a swap, so I don't know it's true age, and I surmise the EDT must differ from the perfume as I've noticed in other Guerlin fragrances. I have avoided this scent for a while after my first initial spritz (over a year ago) left me with an aldeydic mess. But now, the urge hit me again to sample it, and I sustained the initial aldehydes long enough to settle, and acclimate to the powdery dryness of the woods (?). It is lovely, and familiarly related to L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, sans their sweetness. I so want to sample the parfum to see if I can distinguish the notes better. Even the Edt, which is fleeting, has a lovely sillage, as do my other Guerlains. I suspect there will be a notable distinction that may lead to love. At this point, I'm enjoying the EDT, and want to try it as an all-day trial (as opposed to a hefty forearm spray) to see how it evolves. I hope to add more to this review pending my all day experience and sampling the parfum, if I can get my hands on it!

on 2/22/2008 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Timeless. Classy. Captivating.
My favorite Guerlain along with Jardins de Bagatelle.
EDT is fine with me:) Love it!

Popular Fragrances