Thierry Mugler Alien Essence Absolue

Alien Essence Absolue

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I seem to be in the minority here, but I strongly dislike this fragrance. It smelled promising from the bottle, but on my skin it was a different story. Perhaps it is because I gravitate towards gourmand scents, I don't like amber, or it just doesn't work with my body chemistry. Luckily, I only tried this on at Macy's and I didn't purchase it. I remember being in a mad rush to get home and wash it off my arm. I prefer the original Alien by miles. I will not purchase.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

First blast is Alien, though not as cold, plus either oud or benzoin. (It doesn't list oud, but I get some. Since I hate this note on me, I'm happy it doesn't last long.) This Alien-Oud stage is only a couple of minutes, on me.

Stage 2: the grape lightens and the oud-like bit is gone. Then it's like Alien, minus the coldness, plus some of the odd (but lovely) notes and feel of Poeme. It's not strong anymore, on me, but somewhere in the middle. This stage depends on the temperature outside and my mood, but it's not super long ~ 15-30 minutes, tops. (To be fair, let me say that my skin eats perfume. Your mileage may vary.)

Stage 3 (the most beautiful, the longest, and ~ sadly ~ the quietest: it's almost like a (soft) floral version of the original Hypnotic Poison. I'm talking super duper soft. Maybe a hair more vanilla. I get a little smoke (what I assume is the incense). I wish I got lots of incense. It might just me be, again.

It stays this way ~ a soft, ever so slightly powdery, slightly smoky, floral HP ~ for a few hours. It wears SUPER close to my skin/has almost no sillage on me. Oddly enough, I never got and never get a root beer note in HP (I have the original gangster), but I do get it here, for a minute.

This would be HG material for me (and may still be ~ I am going back and forth) if A. it didn't come off as oud on me, even for a minute, and B. it were stronger and had more incense. Because, for real, this drydown is .To.Die.For.

Alien (original edp) is not a "safe" scent by any stretch of the imagination, to me. It's electric purple, and cold as ice. It never warms up on me, though the fizzy jasmine trail it leaves is Super Sexy.

This is much safer. It's "prettier" (conventionally, I guess I mean...?), but not as interesting as the original.

I'll probably still wear this one more, as I only loved Alien's trail...

Adding: I agree with the melting chocolate the other reviewer mentioned! YESSS!!! This is in Stage 3. :~)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my absolute all-time favorite fragrance. I fell completely in love with it upon first sniff and haven't looked back.

Thierry Mugler fragrances are a bit on the expensive side but they last and last on the skin. Whenever I wear this, I put it on around 6am and it will last all the way through the day. If you wear something close to the skin (like a scarf), you will be able to smell this on it when wearing it again, even days later. I think this is a good thing. When you're spending so much on a fragrance, you want it to be worth the cost.

The smell of this is almost indescribably delicious. It reminds me of melting chocolate, of rich warm amber and just a touch of jasmine. This scent is like being wrapped in a warm, soft, luxurious blanket on a cold day. There's just something so comforting about it that I can't quite place my finger on. Sniff after sniff, the gorgeous, rich scent doesn't become cloying. It's not overly sweet, it's just deep and sexy and so inviting.

on 5/6/2013 2:48:00 PM

This beauty has a sweetness/prettiness that the original Alien doesn't have Imo. Overall a more juicy softer hence less dry creation. Rich luscious albeit mysterious fragrance which I absolutely love (pardon the pun)!

on 12/14/2012 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Gorgeous Alien (rounded jasmine) with Hypnotic Poison
but smells divine on the skin unlike either.
Massive sillage and longevity!!

If you love Poeme then you need to try this - Alien Essence Absolue is what i wanted Poeme to be both as a scent and on my skin.

By the way i am unable to tolerate and cannot stand the original Alien and am not a fan of jasmine but Alien Essence Absolue an exception!

Popular Fragrances