Paula's Choice Earth Sourced Antioxidant-Enriched Natural Moisturizer

Paula's Choice Earth Sourced Antioxidant-Enriched Natural Moisturizer

3.3

Not tested on animals

Water, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter (natural emollient), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Canola Oil (antioxidant plant oils), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (natural emollient), Propanediol (naturally-derived penetration enhancer), Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Seed Oil (antioxidant plant oils), Sodium Hyaluronate (natural skin-repairing ingredient), Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Leaf Extract, Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (natural antioxidants), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract (water-binding/soothing agent), Tocopherol (pure vitamin E/antioxidant), Hydrogenated Lecithin (natural cell-communicating ingredient), Thermus Thermophillus Ferment (natural water-binding agent), Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Seed Oil, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Seed Oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Oil (antioxidant plant oils), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (natural emollient), Arginine, Glycine, Alanine, Serine, Valine, Proline, Threonine, Isoleucine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Aspartic Acid (natural amino acids/water-binding agents), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax, Hydrolyzed Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum, Carrageenan (natural thickeners), Sodium Lactate (natural skin conditioning agent), Potassium Stearate (synthetic emulsifier), Sodium PCA (natural skin-repairing ingredient), Glyceryl Stearate (plant-derived thickener), PCA (natural skin-repairing ingredient), Silica (natural mineral thickener), Xanthan Gum (natural thickener), Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Potassium Sorbate (natural preservatives), Sodium Benzoate (synthetic preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (synthetic solvent), Phenoxyethanol (synthetic preservative).

on 3/9/2013 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I got this because I wanted to try something different and this one is reasonably priced and loaded with antioxidants. Being "Earth Friendly" was not my goal. I mean, I like being ecoconscious, but in terms of skincare I don't mind synthetics.

PROS: It's not greasy or thick, yet it contains a TON of oil (8 oils total, most in the top 10) and antioxidants.

CONS: Everybody has already commented on it - it's not that hydrating. It has a lot of water in it and I think that is why. I don't mean it's watery or runny, I mean that when I spread it, it doesn't have drag or thickness, it's just very "thinnable". This is the first thing I noticed about this product, it just spreads VERY easily. Paula's Choice says it is a "rich, yet surprisingly light lotion" and that's pretty accurate (rich in ingredients though, not feel). I really don't understand how it can have cocoa seed butter (ingredient 2), glycerin (3), 3 different oils (4-6), and shea butter all as the top 7 ingredients but have such a NON-feeling to it. Not heavy, not shiny finish at all, and absorbs really quickly.

OTHER: The packaging and description says "All skin types" and along with the amount of oils in it, I thought it would be ok. However, the site also mentions Normal, Oily, Combination as being better in another part, and that is more true.

OVERALL: Over time I have noticed my skin being much less hydrated (the point where my face feels tight as the product dries), so this is definitely not for drier skin (I used it for both AM and PM). This would be best for skin that already has enough moisture, those who hate any product feeling, and for use in the warmer months. It's not a horrible product in the end.

UPDATE: Weird, it's making me shiny now when i use it. Must be the high glycerin content. I never like tons of glycerin.

on 12/28/2012 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For about a month, my skin was at its best. Now, it feels just as good as a cheap drugstore moisturizer that doesn't last long. It's very thin and leaves an oily residue. This might be a better moisturizer for just nights, but for every day, twice a day, it's not the best.

on 10/9/2012 8:10:00 PM

The ingredients are great, and it's a good lightweight moisturizer, but I just don't like the way this smells.

on 12/21/2012 10:56:00 PM

I really like this. I usually use CeraVe lotion or sometimes Paula's Resist Barrier Repair (which often isn't enough for me) so this is great. It is more moisturizing than the lotions I have been using, but this is more like a cream in a tube. It has antioxidants and also without any silicones (at least none I recognized in the ingredients). She often has this on sale, probably to maintain her stock being fresh as this is 98% natural.

For the past week, I have been testing to Earth Sourced collection (gel cleanser, toner and lotion) and I find these products to be non-irritating and did not cause acne. They are loaded with great anti-oxidants WITHOUT fragrant essential oils that are found in the majority of "green" beauty products.

The problem with using this as a daytime moisturizer is that it has no SPF. I would be interested in trying a physical SPF lotion in this line if they choose to release one.

My skin is oily, not acne prone or combo. If you have oily skin or very dry skin, this probably won't work for you. I'd say this is a nice product for those with combo/normal/slightly dry skin. This is a medium moisturizer, wonderful texture and very soothing.

The toner that is part of the set is moisturizing enough for my oily skin before I apply sunscreen, even when I used this at night without any additional PM treatments, the moisturizer still made me oily. I felt like my face was somewhat tacky feeling after using the moisturizer, and it seemed to take a while to sink into my skin.

Perhaps, I will save this for winter, when my cheeks tend to get dry. Again, this is a great option for people who want to try more natural skin care without having to deal with fragrance, but if you have oily skin, I would suggest using the toner as a light moisturizer/pre-sunscreen anti-oxidant treatment instead. I will not re-purchase this product but would recommend it to those with more normal/slightly dry skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Generally speaking my skin has never responded well to Paula's products (not sure why!)- but I have finally found one that I love. I absolutely love the texture of this moisturizer- it is rather light and silky. Its texture is somewhere between Complex 15 (which is watery) and CeraVe lotion (which is light but creamier); it also reminds me a bit of Clinique's Dramatically Different. After I smooth it on I swear my skin just drinks it right up and my skin feels and looks so hydrated and dewy. For such a light lotion, this does an even better job of making my skin feel moist and supple that some of the richest creams I've tried. I use this at night and in the morning, my skin still looks moisturized and practically glows. I haven't been this impressed by a simple, basic moisturizer in ages! Dare I replace my beloved CeraVe?? I might have to.

on 5/12/2012 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This was suggested to me by a Paula's Choice sales staff consultant as an alternative to the Hydrating Treatment Cream which I sometimes find too rich for my average to slightly dry skin. This a light moisturizer which sinks right into my skin, so it fits my needs perfectly. That said, since it's marketed as good for all skin types, I would imagine that this is not nearly emollient enough for very dry faces, hence my 4 lippie rating. I would definitely repurchase

on 7/9/2012 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

While the Earth Sourced toner is my favourite product in this range, I also like the feel and results of this moisturizer : very fluid consistency, lovely glide over the skin (even better if you apply it on skin still damp from toner, ALL MOISTURIZERS SHOULD GLIDE LIKE THIS ONE), and lightweight feel on the skin (something that was unexpected as the formula seems very rich, and cocoa butter is the second ingredient).

It is very soothing on my skin (like the toner) and a little goes a long way. It has the same "dried herbs" smell as the toner, and I love it.

Due to the fluid texture, I'm sure an airless pump bottle would have worked perfectly (and a better choice to keep the full strength of this moisturizer to the last drop).

I'm not a fan of so called "natural products" (and I was not particularly looking for) but when I saw the ingredients list I though it would be something great, and it is in every aspect.

Great to complement my beloved Earth Sourced toner on the driest areas :-D

on 7/19/2012 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

i bought the whole earth sourced system and this is in the set.
i find that it is a bit too moisturizing for my oily skin so i use it as eye moisturizer instead. it does help keep the dryness around the eyes in check and it will definitely last forever because i am only using this around the eyes.

First off I have to say how expensive PC is outside US & Canada. I paid 60 USD for the earth sourced 3 step line & it was already on sale! The moisturizer alone usually cost around 45 USD which is twice of the price listed on PC's official site.

I do love natural products that are colorant & fragrance free & I've been using this set for around 3 weeks & I've actually noticed an improvement with my combination-slightly sensitive skin.

The texture is rather light & creamy which I think suits my combination skin really well. Heavy cream moisturizers normally break me out & fluid moisturizers tend to leave dry patches. It does leave a mild film on the face but that doesn't bother me too much since it does leave my skin feeling more plumped & moisturized.

My main complaint has to be how small the bottle is, it will probably only last me a month or two max with daily usage, & given the prices here, its hardly economical.

I will repurchase definately if its cheaper here, but not HG enough for me to shell out 45 USD every one or two months definately. Physiogel's moisturizers seems to work for me as well & at a much lower cost.

Popular Moisturizers