Yves Saint Laurent Effet Faux Cils Cream Eyeliner

No Image

4.1

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

too expensive for a cream liner that doesn't last

on 9/27/2011 11:46:00 AM

I have recently tried the new mascara from YSL, Faux Cils Shocking (see my review for that!), and I really liked it. Whilst I was at the counter waiting for my mascara, I looked at the most gorgeous looking cream eyer liners Ė there are 6 of these in the set. I bought Sea Black Ė a dark midnight blue with shimmer and a Cherry Black Ė a dark cherry red with shimmer. Both look very pretty and seductive in the potsÖ.

Application: I applied my normal Too Faced Shadow Primer, as I do with all of my eye make-up. First, I tried the Black Sea one. Whilst it did go on quite smoothly, the shade of the liner was no where near intense as I hoped it would be, and how it appears in the pot. It went on quite sheer and I had to keep going over it to get the colour I wanted (I wanted it to be like in the pot, lovely and opaque). I did achieve this eventually but it took time and patience, and if you have a wonky hand like me its hard to keep the patience to do this (esp when getting ready for work in the morning). Once it was nice and opaque I was still disappointed to see that the beautiful shimmer that you see in the pot doesnít quite transfer to the eyes as much as I wanted. Donít get me wrong, the liner doesnít show up matte or flat, but the intense gorgeousness that you see in the pot just doesnít translate to the eye, and thatís a big issue for me! Thumbs down in that respect, and not to mention I had to keep building it up!

Good points are that it didnít tug on my eye lid or anything thing like that. I have tried this liner with my Sonia Kaskuk bent eyeliner brush, the ELF bent eyeliner brush and my MAC angled eyeliner brush (canít remember the name of it at the moment!). I think a bent eyeliner brush is easier to use for this type of liner but you may disagree.

Once the liner was applied, it took time to dry and set. This can be a good and a bad thing Ė itís a good thing because if you make a mistake you can try and wipe it off or fix it quickly, but if you want to just crack on with the rest of your eye make up itís a pain to wait. I didnít wait long enough when I first applied and when I used my eye lash curlers it made a terrible mess and I had to start again!! Arghhh. If you have used the MAC Fluidlines, Bobbi Brown gel liners, Sephora, ELF or Wet n Wild NONE of them take as long as this one to dry!! This is the hardest one to work with for that reason.

Wear and Quality: Now, onto the wearÖ.I had really high hopes for this and I was let down once again! Donít forget this claims to be smudge proof, but is it? After one hour or so of wear I did what I always do with new liners and do the ďsmudge testĒ. By this, I mean that I take my finger and run it across my lash line and try and smudge the liner. For me a good liner is one that doesnít budge in this test. Well, I cant really say that YSL liner passed this test, it didnít Ė it did smudge Ė not very very badly but I donít think it should have smudged at all. To compare, my MAC, Bobbi Brown and Sephora liners donít smudge at all when I have done the best on them! And to think they cost less, some significantly less than this! Arghhh!

I also applied the liner to my waterline (bottom lash line) and the wear was not good at all. Within 2 hours it had completely disappeared. Now I have to admit, I never find that gel or cream liners last that long on me on the waterline, but I have had much better wear than a measly 2 hours from some of them! MAC and Sephora in particular can stay on the waterline for around 4-6 hours before they begin fade away, although I find some shades of MAC fluidlines are different from each other regarding wear on the bottom lashes but never the top lashes. Wear is ALWAYS good on the top lashes. This liner claims to be waterproof, and although I didnít do any specific tests on this claim, the fact that it was gone from my waterline in under 2 hours doesnít make me confident that it is in fact waterproof!!

Is it 24 hours, as it claims to be? One night I went to bed with my liner still on (and my other make-up, naughty naughty) in an attempt to see what it would be like by the morning, and test the claim that its 24 hour wear. Again, comparing to the other brands I had tried I was hopeful of good results. Well, not so Ė I woke up to find eye shadow and mascara in place (eye shadow was MAC and mascara was YSL Faux Cils Shocking) but the liner had pretty much completely disappeared!! There was about 10% left of it and this came as a shock, so in my opinion it isnít 24 hour wear, but then when would we really want to wear make up for 24 hours???!! Lol!

Even on a normal day, when I took it off in the evening, I found it had faded a little bit, but I have to admit it didnít flake or crease (I donít know how much of this was due to my primer being excellent), I didnít have enough confidence in it to see how it would hold up without my primer, I was imagining it to be a messÖ..

The packaging is quite nice, its in a small glass pot (helpful in preventing it go dry) and it has a sleek and classy gold lid with your typical YSL branding on it.

Conclusion: So, overall, yes its lovely and creamy and smooth to apply but the problems with it taking time to dry, smudging and not being vibrant and lovely for all that long are all issues for me and it means I will not be buying this again. If you see shades that you love at the counter, get the Sales Assistant to apply it on you so you can see the colour on your eyes and see how it wears, as you may find its not worth your £20. For the record my experience with both shades were pretty much the same. I will be sticking to my MAC, Bobbi Brown and Sephora liners and giving these a wide berth, despite how pretty they in the pot.