MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

$21 for 0.28 oz. Someone emailed me asking if it reduces redness, which is a good question. It is sheer, and feels feather light. You don't feel it on your skin, it's weightless and lighter than loose face powder. However it can tone down blush if you apply too much, and it will set any liquid or cream base. It's even light enough to use under the eyes to set concealer. I'm not partial to any one brand, but the price is more reasonable than MUFE. It doesn't settle into fine lines and does give a soft focus glow. Not because there is shimmer in it, but because it is so light and the color gives a bit of luminous matte skin. These types of powders last a long time for me because I don't have oily skin. If you do, it won't stop the oil from coming but it does last longer than a basic powder. If you have a problem with redness I would check out the new Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Powder.

A silky finishing powder that provides an invisible way to set makeup. Reduces shine while optically minimizing the look of pores, lines, imperfections. Available in one universal colour that suits all shades. Wear over makeup or on bare, moisturized skin. It debuted with the Colour Ready collection.

Just looked at the reviews from users with dry skin like I have. Guess I'm the odd man out on this. Absolutely hate it and am throwing it out after using it three times. The pros: it's not expensive and is very finely milled. The cons: sucks the very life out of my skin, making it look flat, dry, and lifeless and exaggerating any and every tiny flake in sight.

on 4/19/2016 4:06:00 AM

This powder did not break me out.

It definitely mattifies. Mattifies too much in fact. I'm quite oily especially in the t-zone. I certainly don't want to look greasy but I also don't want to look so matte that there's ZERO natural shine or luminosity to my face. This is not a flattering powder. This makes me look old and eliminates any youthful glow to my skin, not that my skin is perfect or anything, it's so far from that.

I don't understand the hype and rave reviews. If you want natural looking makeup or dewy finish, don't go for this.

on 3/11/2015 5:43:00 AM

Perfect powder for setting my foundation! Soft, light and velvety, applies smoothly and the overall finish doesn't cake or feel heavy. No complaints for basic everyday use :-) However... I will only use this powder for daytime wear to work, as it helps my foundation last throughout the day. For all the other times (nights out/special occasions) I avoid this product completely. Flash photography will leave you with a ghostly white flashback face :-( which is a real shame as this is actually a really good powder. Apart from this one flaw I have found, I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for a good finishing powder as it does the job and it is perfect for daytime wear! Just beware of the flash ;-) xo

on 2/8/2015 6:39:00 PM

MAC Prep + Prime is my #2 powder pick. It gives me perfect polish and very slightly whitens my face. I use it when I want to be fancy.

My #1 pick is RMS "Un" Powder. It's absolutely invisible with great performance (blurs imperfections, mattes shine). RMS gives me a very natural and believable look.

Powders I like less than the above:
- MUFE HD Powder goes a bit white for me and I'm very pale. It also catches on dry flakes.
- Laura Mercier Loose Translucent is more beige than white and blends into my skin pretty well but I think gives an overall dull appearance.

on 1/28/2014 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love these translucent finishing powders. They are great to use all year round and you can save money and time because you don't need to find a separate powder for each season to match skin tone as it changes - this works for me whether I'm paler or more tan (not that it actually stops me from buying more make-up because I'm a product junkie, but in theory it could. . .). I apply this with a large, fluffy powder brush - usually my MUFE Lg Powder brush - which gives me a thin even layer, then blend it out. It looks white for a few seconds then becomes colourless. I also pat this under my eyes, with a concealer setting brush because the powder is non-drying yet sets concealer perfectly

I like that it doesn't completely mattifify skin, so your skin still looks like real, natural skin - but seems to keep my face shine-free (I have an oily t-zone) all day, minimizes the appearance of pores, and also helps my make-up last for hours longer than it would without. I always check my skin in natural light after doing my make-up, as I hate seeing any demarcation/powdery look, and prefer a natural looking skin and this looks amazing! It blurs any flaws and does not look dry/cakey or powder-like at all! It seems to just melt into skin and looks like absolutely nothing is on your face. It also makes your skin feel sooo soft. It doesn't ever cake when you touch up and doesn't look heavy.

I always keep a back-up, even though one jar lasts me 6-8 months if not more. The only thing I don't like is the messy container but I I transfer a small amount to a travel-friendly brush that holds powder in an attached jar at the bottom so I can touch-up if needed. I also use the MUFE HD powder, which I like a tiny bit better because it seems more finely-milled and silkier than the MAC. The ELF HD powder version is great as well. I alternate a few brands and the differences between them are very minimal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I reviewed this product before but I feel like I should do a better review - with pro's and con's.

Okay, so this loose powder has been my go to powder this entire year. I like it because it makes my foundation last a little longer and it looks natural. Not shimmery or too cakey. I'm pretty sure this will work for the most skintypes.

Pro's:
-Looks natrual
-Makes your foundation stay for at least 9 hours
-Not shimmery or cakey
-Doesn't look "dry" if you know what I mean

Con's:
-Pretty expensive

I don't speak perfect English, I'm from Sweden.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 5/16/2011 9:27:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonnnderful powder! Normally I'm not a powder person at all. I don't ever use powder on my skin, I don't set my liquid foundation with powder etc.. But this! This is virtually invisible. It's a translucent powder, so finely milled - I know this expression is overused, I just can't help but stress how airy and light it feels, comparing to so many sand-like products out there. I use it to set my concealer (wether in the under-eye area or wherever else applied), and it doesn't show one bit. Not even in day light. Not even when you stick your nose to the mirror. First loose powder I've ever owned, and the fact that it actually stood out to me is pretty amazing. I've come to trust it now. I know it will never cake up on me, it will never have that powdery look to it, no matter how much I pack on, and it will give me a nice, matte, long-lasting, polished look. I kinda feel like I'm not the one to explore its full potential and durability, as I don't have oily skin, but if you look at it from the other side of the spectrum, the sole fact that a powder product can look so good on dry skin without making it look patchy and flaky, is just impressive. I don't even think it's necessary to comment on the packaging since what's inside is so great. Recommended for those who love their pro results.

on 5/10/2011 7:57:00 AM

Great product !
Foundation lasts much longer and if used without foundation the skin becomes ultra-soft.
My T-Zone is an oily mess and with this powder I have finally found something that keeps off shiny greasy skin, especially my forehead.
I was always sceptical to use powder as I feared it might slip into each line and wrinkle and make those more prominent. Being 30+ it is very good to know with this powder you will look some years younger as it smoothes out fine lines (also with no foundation beneath) !
If you prefer an ultra-natural finish this powder is your best friend.

Price is reasonable, too.

I cannot recommend this product enough.

It is important, however, not to use too much. A little goes a long way.