MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 10/4/2015 10:58:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I honestly don't know what to rate this. I really don't know how exactly I feel about this product. This is my first ever translucent powder I've used, so I can't compare it to many others which is why eventually once I've tried out another I will come back to re-rate this and revise my review. It has so many good reviews, so I genuinely am conflicted as to why it's not working out for me.

It's not horrible, but it's not good. It does keep oils at bay for a longer period of time, but honestly it's not spectacular. It only keeps me oil-free for slightly longer, sometimes I don't know why I even include the extra step.

Also I have had two huge mishaps with this powder twice. Due to it not really preventing oil all that much, I tried to apply a bit more than usual so I could really see its potential. Wrong. Horrible. Never again. I did this twice, I became an absolute cakey mess. I'm talking, foundation cracking around the eyes, nose, mouth, upper lip and I don't have dry skin. I had to spray 10 fix+ pumps to even mildly fix it, but in the end I couldn't leave the house like that and I had to take it off. I have to be so cautious with this powder, it's such a pain sometimes.

However most of the time I don't become a cakey mess, and in those times I'd rate it maybe a 3.5/5? It does do something at least. I do feel like it's not as finely milled as some other translucents I've felt at Sephora too. Once I'm done with this, I am going to try the Laura Mercier OR the Mac Pressed Translucent powder because I feel like that would be less likely to give me excess product and hopefully I will get better results and for that I will not be repurchasing.

on 9/18/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

pros:
- blurs the skin's texture
- gives that soft finish i really enjoy
- extends the wear of my foundation

cons:
- expensive
- very small amount (only 9g to a jar - MUFE loose powder is 10g and covergirl is 20g)

repurchase: yes, it's the best loose powder i've used thus far.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Bought this as a treat as the price is outrageous. You can get something identical from GOSH for half the price and ELF for even less.

That said, I do love this. It blurs the look of pores, mattifies without dulling, and sets my face rally nicely. It does need touching up during the day which other powder doesn't so much.

I'd like the compact one for work, but next time I will get the GOSH one.

on 8/21/2015 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm almost finished with using this product so I thought now is a good time to write a review.
Very good under eye setting powder which does not make the area look cakey no matter how much you apply. It has flashback however so I only used in the day.

on 8/31/2015 6:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My HG finishing powder, makes my skin look flawless and mattifies oily areas. I use it to set my foundation and then again as a finishing veil. I used to use MUFE finishing powder but this is definitely a winner as I find the MAC powder slightly more finer than MUFE

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

You only need a small amount so the product should last a long time, makes the skin look smooth and mattifies the skin for a long time, best loose finishing powder.

on 6/7/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Quite shocked that I haven't reviewed this as this was one of the very first products I swapped for when I started here on makeupalley. This powder is everything! I used to use it in conjunction with the MAC prep+prime primer but I never repurchased when that finished. This product lasts a long time. I think the reason why I do not reach for it all the time is my travel schedule. My pressed powders get all the love when I travel for obvious reasons. One tip of the container and I have a huge mess. Anyway, I love the finish this gives my makeup. I am MAC NW45 so pretty dark and delicious. This blends seamlessly and does not make me look ashy or give my pictures a white cast. As a matter of fact, I am of the opinion that this sets my makeup so beautifully that I always look better with this on my face than I do with the blot powder. For some reason I do not think the particles in the blot powder are as fine as the ones in this one. This noticeably reduces shine associated with my oily skin and it the perfect finish before blush and lip gloss. I will certainly repurchase, I recently got the pressed version for travel as I think I am done with blot powder once I finish my current one.

Does a really good job at smoothing out find lines and pores. I have repurchased. Just wish it held up longer on my oily skin. But that's a struggle I battle with all makeup. I love this!

on 3/11/2015 8:23:00 AM

I really like this setting powder. Really good for setting your foundation or concealer, makes the skin look so good and smooth. It feels amazingly soft on the skin and I have nothing to complain about regarding this product. Absolutely love it, and I would definitely buy it again.

on 6/22/2015 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have oily skin that just wont keep my makeup in tact a whole work day (8am-5pm). After reading a few dozen reviews on this powder, I bit the bullet and ordered this from online. The container is much smaller than I assumed it would be after reading the reviews, but I can tell there is a lot of product in there and it'll last a while. This product does exactly what it says it will, and I'm in love. I do disagree with other reviewers about the holes being too big/too much product being wasted. You just has to be using the right brush! Like a kabuki :)
(I've already rebought this product. One container lasts me about 4 months.)