4.7

on 2/4/2014 11:02:00 PM

I have begun using this as a facial cleanser at night and after one use I noticed far less many clogged pores, red bumps, I suffered from comedonal acne (small colorless clogged pores) on my forehead all my teens and now into my early twenties and had never been able to find a solution until now. One use and my forehead SMOOTHED OUT.

But acne isn't the real reason why I wanted to review this stuff, my acne isn't that horrible. I recently contracted a staph infection in a hair follicle in a place that shall not be named. So I swelled up into a painful boil and I had to get the thing lanced (cut open) and then drained which was an amazingly painful experience. Anyhoo, I gently washed the incision with hibiclens the first night and saw some dramatic difference in how well the incision was healing, it was good. Then throughout the day it started to close up little by little and I noticed that the boil had become a little swollen again, so I rushed home and cleaned myself with a warm rag, squeezed the pus/blood out of the boil, then washed with Hibiclens. The next day, the incision did not hurt, there was no lump from the boil, and the area had turned back to my normal pale skin color instead of insanely red and angry. The boil continues to drain and I will continue to doctor it with this stuff. If you've ever had a boil lanced you'd know that anything that prevents having to lance it again is a LIFE SAVER.

Also, you do not have to leave this product on your face. Hibiclens is used in medical facilities, and this is a fast acting agent. Simply wiping it off of your skin with a wet cloth does not remove the medicine from your pores. To add, this medicine stay in your skin and is active for up to 6 hours after usage, and the action is actually inhibited by using other products with it. So, after you cleanse your skin with this do NOT add a moisturizer or follow up product, you will be decreasing the effectiveness of the medicine.

on 1/25/2014 5:37:00 PM

After mucking about with primers, bb creams, OCM, and rich moisturizers like cerave, my skin became insanely bad! ALL my pores were clogged which eventually turned into the worst acne I've ever had. It turns out that I'm one of those few ppl whose skin hates anything with mineral oil or silicones (which are in everything!) and it ends up trapping oil and bacteria in my skin. Once I figured that out, I needed something to deal with the existing acne infections which were deep and numerous--this is where the hibiclens comes in.
For it to be most effective, you should wash your face with it for at least 3 minutes. It's supposed to continue working for 6 hrs as long as you don't put anything else on your face (as this can neutralize the effects). This is best for acne caused by bacteria rather than, say, hormonal acne. DO NOT get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth, which means you have to be super careful if you're washing your face with it. This stuff, along with other good habits (like changing out my pillowcase), REALLY turned my skin around. Since it's not good to overuse antibacterial soaps I mostly only use it as a spot treatment now that my skin has cleared up.
Obviously, everyone's skin is different, so always spot test any new face product--what works for one person, won't work for others. If you're sensitive to red dyes, then check out some of the generic versions. I have tried everything: salicylic acid, tea tree oil, sulfur, benzoyl peroxide, neem oil, ACV, clays, etc. and none of them have come close to the effectiveness of hibiclens.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I've been using this for less than a week and i've noticed HUGE improvement. I had some weird bacterial infection (or something) in between my breasts that was smelling terrible! I've used a bunch of stuff on it and finally I remembered this may help... So i bought it from the shop and used it for the first time last week. It has worked WONDERS. I no longer have the smell, I no longer have to use powder. frankly, it's a miracle. I've been having this problem for several years and nothing was doing the trick. Finally I realized it must be bacterial if it wasn't yeast so I thought about hibiclens. It's honestly a weight off my shoulders, it smelled so bad (like BO). I will edit this if things change!! EDIT: 3/18/15 - this stuff is still awesome! I use it prob once a week in the "affected area" and it keeps all problems away. I haven't tried using it on my face.. it kinda freaks me out when they say keep away from all mucous membranes.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is amazing! I have body acne and this product is the best for clearing it up. I use this product in the shower just like a body splash on the areas that are problematic and acne-prone. After splashing it on my skin, I rinse it off. It helps to clean up/heal existing spots and prevent future flare ups. There are generic forms of Hibiclens on the market, but I have found them to be inferior for my problem (I have tried the CVS & Walgreens generics).

on 6/15/2013 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I don't know how you can give a bad review on Hibiclens (active ingredient is Chlorhexidine, you can get generic form or in lesser concentrations). Hibiclens ts a necessity in clinic/hospitals. Great and gentle cleanser for those who are prone to skin infections--bacterial/fungal/and some viral. Regular use prevent recurring infections. It doesn't sting at all on wounds. All drugstores have the generic form which works the same, few dollars cheaper and doesn't have the red color additive Hibiclens add.

on 4/12/2013 5:32:00 PM

Condition: Eczema (severe random outbreaks, otherwise mild but chronic) and Acne (since age 13, am 27 now, I would say it's medium to mild acne).

Purchase date: Yesterday

How I use it:

Twice a day, massage into face for a few minutes and rinse. NO moisturizer afterwards, just a bit of vaseline on lips and other dry spots. I do not use ANY other cleanser than this on my face. I use Dr. Bronner's soap for hair and body, but nothing else.

I'm thinking I would wash my makeup brushes with this, as well.

Pros:

1. Acne AND eczema improved by at least 70% overnight. I cannot believe it.
2. Cheap price.
3. Need to use only a little bit.

Cons:

1. Had to go buy a different foaming bottle so that I could use this better because the liquid is very thin and not very easy to get a good foam going with just your hands.

What I've used for acne before: retinoid, oral antibiotics, AHA, salicylic acid, benzol peroxide, Acne.org lotion, glycolic peels, using only Dr. Bronner's soap on my entire body. Obviously none of these methods worked.

What I've used for eczema before: bleach baths (helps a bit), using only Dr. Bronner's soap and vinegar for hair and body (helps a bit), steroid creams (helps a ton but doesn't take away the breakouts, just deals with flakes).

on 5/7/2012 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

been using the product for about a month to trat skin infections and it if great .

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 9/8/2011 3:36:00 PM

I started using this as a last resort. I have been getting staph infections on my face for about 3 years now. I've seen numerous derms and they have really not done a thing for me. My last derm even joked about me being his patient for life. Needless to say, I was pretty desperate. I read online that Hibiclens could help with skin issues, including acne, which I can say has pretty much ceased since using this, even though that was not my main goal. (Not complaining!)
BOTTOM LINE: My skin is soft, clear, and healing from my last infection. I usually would have another one by now, but my skin is clear. I'll update eventually.

on 7/22/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. It's a miracle product for me in fact.

I've tried every over the counter acne treatment and every drugstore cleanser, lotion, cream etc. I was also on a fairly strong anti-biotic for acne for a couple of years. Those worked at the time but I wasn't able to continue them.
My acne flared up again and it was getting to the point where I was waking up to a new patches of very sore spots and painful cystic spots, everyday. It started to really get me down.

I came across Hibiclens, (Hibiscrub in the UK), whilst desperately googling for something new to try. I got hold of some straight away and started using it twice a day. The very next day my skin had started to clear up. In 5 days it was 80% clear and in 2 weeks every single spot had gone. I still had a few reddish marks where they had been but within 2 months all those had gone too. It's been 4 months now and I don't have acne anymore. I get the odd 'normal' looking spot just before my period but it goes in a couple of days.

I have normal skin for the first time in 15 years and I put that down to using Hibiclens.

I use twice a day.I always wash my make up off first with a paraben free, oil free gel cleanser, then palm some of the red liquid and apply carefully with my fingers. I work it into a white creamy lather on my skin before adding a little water to foam it up slightly. Then finally squeeze eyes and mouth shut and rinse my cheeks with hot water, making sure to get it all off. As it continues to work over some hours, I don't moisturise at night so nothing can interfer with the process.

It is not made as a facial skin product so use with some caution. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes (screw them up tight and rinse very carefully), or your mouth and nose. It's very runny so you may find it easier to apply with a cotton pad depending on where you want it to go. The bottle can be awkward but easily dispensed into a little travel bottle with a pump if you like.

I would never be without it now. I wish I'd found it years ago.