4.5

Formerly called Let's Make Collagen Serum.

I have been using this product for about 3 years now. I did stop for awhile and definitely noticed the change. I wish I could get buckets of this stuff and bath in it. There is no doubt I have kept wrinkles at bay with this stuff. I also use the DMAE serum they have. I use these two serums morning and night and produced a daily cream I like very much. You don't have to use their creams, you can buy something you already like and then pump it up with the actives.

I use many of the skin actives products and I have to say that I do not look 53. You have to be patient with all their products, there are no magic bullets.

on 7/1/2009 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had very specific questions because of the RX stuff I already use for rosacea, KP, and dehydrated skin; Hannah, the founder, was very clear and prompt in her responses.
PROS: thin, watery liquid, brownish, smooth, slight smell
CONS: none
Because I am a little leary of any new product, I tested it on the back of my hands first. No tingling, in fact it was absorbed rather quickly (it is water based after all). I do shake it up each time I use it - it was a little gritty when I first got it but after shaking it whatever it was went away. I began using it around my eyes and then my face and neck. Its been about 4 days now and truly, the skin structure around my eyes has subtly changed. I wish I had taken a picture before so I could share the after. I may do that now....anyway, I use this am and pm. At night I use it around my eyes, and during the day, all over including my neck. I use Avalon VItamin C renewal cream at night, alternating every few days with Retin A Micro. During the day I use Sonia Kaschuk tinted moisturizer SPF 15 with Physicians Formula light bronzer powder.
I think its well worth the $12 or so plus shipping. Very reasonable for fairly quick changes.

on 11/25/2008 10:36:00 PM

U are not going to believe this - READ Skinactives - DO NOT BUY FROM THEM

Around a month ago, I bought skinactives antinflammatory cream and it made my face tingle, so i went on her forum and this is what I posted.

I just started using the antinflamation cream for my rosacea

My skin looks a little calmer but now it is tingling, burning, itching and feels dry. It has only been 4 days. I cant wait to get home from work to wash it off. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hannah from the site emailed me and told me to stop using it so I did. I have not posted anything else on the site. All of a sudden my account gets deleted a month later. I thought it was a mistake so I emailed Hannah about it. I am still waiting for her response on why i was deleted.
I didnt think anything of it until another person that is a member on the rosacea support group stated that her account was deleted. She emailed Hannah and Hannah told her it was not a mistake that she just didnt think her skincare would work for her since her skin is so sensitive and would not let her be a member anymore because she had posted on her forum that she was sensitive to some of the ingredients in skinactives.
This is discrimination and i am completely stunned. No wonder nothing is ever stated on her forum that they dont like her products, because u say one little thing like I did and she will delete you.

on 7/1/2009 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Hmmm. Don't know what the problem was with the previous poster but I found Hannah to be very responsive to my questions on this product. I had very specific questions because of the RX stuff I already use for rosacea, KP, and dehydrated skin; she was very clear and prompt in her response.

PROS: thin, watery liquid, brownish, smooth, slight smell
CONS: none

Because I am a little leary of any new product, I tested it on the back of my hands first. No tingling, in fact it was absorbed rather quickly (it is water based after all). I do shake it up each time I use it. I began using it around my eyes and then my face and neck. Its been about 4 days now and truly, the skin structure around my eyes has subtly changed. I wish I had taken a picture before so I could share the after. I may do that now....anyway, I use this am and pm. At night I use it around my eyes, and during the day, all over including my neck. I use Avalon VItamin C renewal cream at night, alternating every few days with Retin A Micro. During the day I use Sonia Kaschuk tinted moisturizer SPF 15 with Physicians Formula light bronzer powder.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I write this after one week of product use. I had some very deep laugh lines and I was developing fine lines around the eyes and on the forehead. No big whoop, I'm over 30, it happens, right? NO. Do not go gentle into that wrinkled night. I'd tried and thrown away several creams and was wary of expensive serums (and that brown Estee Lauder stuff did nothing for me), when an Internet search turned up Skin Actives, an outfit that caters to the DIY skincare crowd. Their ready-mixed collagen serum, which I keep in the fridge per directions, has caused the aforementioned lines to vanish. I apply five drops to face and neck in the evenings after a gentle cream cleanser (by UK brand Simple) and follow with Oil of Olay cream for sensitive skin plus a few drops of jojoba oil. I look 25 again. HALLELUJAH. It is $12.50 for one ounce and contains the following: Distilled Water, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Sodium PCA, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pomegranate Extract, Natural Active Peptides, Hyaluronic Acid, L-Carnosine, Boswellia Serrata, Niacinamide, N-Acetyl Glucosamine, Centella Asiatica, Horse Chestnut Extract, Betulinic Acid, Green Tea EGCG, Epidermal Growth Factor BT, Germaben II. I'm just hoping that EGF doesn't turn out to be a tumor-generator, as Paula Begoun seems to think it might.

on 5/13/2009 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This stuff is amazing. I've been on a quest to repair the damage done to my skin by years of benzoyl peroxide use, which left my face red, irritated, tired-looking, and showing proto-wrinkles. I'm 26; wrinkles should not be in the picture yet! I'm not trying to look ten years younger or anything like that -- I just want to look like a normal mid-twenties woman!

This serum is a thin, unsticky light beige liquid that applies smoothly and dries to a semi-drying finish. It definitely needs moisturizer or sunscreen over it.

After three days of use, the dry, crepey skin under my eyes has smoothed out and the lightly etched laugh lines around my mouth are significantly shallower. I look fresher and more my own age.

The packaging is less than ideal -- a little glass bottle with a wide-gauge eye dropper. It's just a matter of time before I drop and shatter the bottle, so I'm looking for better packaging.

Skin Actives also offers a lip collagen serum, applied with a lip gloss brush. Same amazing results; my lip lines are smoothing out and my lips are plumper and pinker.

I foresee this becoming a staple in my arsenal. I'm also buying some for my mom, who at 56 is just starting to wrinkle around her lips and eyes. I'll update in a couple months with my results and hers.

**ETA March 2010** I have moved on to other products to better deal with my acne, but I would still highly recommend this. I used it for about 4 or 5 months and it did a great job at repairing the BP damage. I will probably come back to it later in life, assuming it's still around. Just doesn't fit my needs at this exact moment.

on 7/6/2008 12:16:00 AM

This is similar to the CHAS serum which I use during the day under sunscreen and this one at night or when I'm just hanging around the house. I know I like these because when the bottle runs low, I start coveting them and planning my reorder so I'm never without. They both smell like crushed up vitamins and have a somewhat gritty texture that actually absorbs very well into the skin. You can easily incorporate these under your regular creams/sunscreens because they don't really add a layer to your regimin as they are so light and water solulable. Too many serums have goop in them that makes combining with other products difficult. The whole point of these serums is to get the beneficial actives onto your face without a lot of fanfare. As a result, you get great antioxidant benefits at a super price (I don't recall paying 28 dollars -- I paid about half that for one ounce). Check out SkinActives' website, apparently they are updating it.

on 9/12/2008 3:34:00 PM

Skin Actives Scientific Website: www.SkinActives.com
I love this website! It sells most of the cutting-edge antiaging cosmeceutical ingredients to the mass public at LOW cost so that you can actually customize your own skincare products to suit your specific needs.
In addition to selling individual key additives, Skin Actives also offers a section of ready-made ready-to-use products & formulas at low cost.
This review is for the ready-made "Let's Make Collagen" serum which is designed to improve & stimulate collagen growth for younger looking skin.
It's available for $12.50 in 1oz, or at even lower overall cost in a larger 4oz dark blue plastic push-top bottle $42.50 (15% discount).
The serum is brown with some white gritty specks throughout & smells a little bit unpleasant but the odor dissipates as the serum quickly sinks into the skin. Feels a little sticky upon application but doesn't feel sticky after it dries. A little goes a long way, so apply just enough to barely smooth over the skin. I find this formula to be very gentle & non-irritating.
Copied from website description of this product -
Properties: Collagen Promotion
Ingredients: Distilled water, Sea kelp bioferment, sodium PCA, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, pomegranate extract, natural active peptides, hyaluronic acid, L-carnosine, Boswellia serrata, niacinamide, N-acetyl glucosamine, Centella asiatica, Horse chestnut extract, hyaluronic acid, betulinic acid, green tea EGCG, epidermal growth factor BT, Germaben II.
Look at all those yummy (a/k/a good for your skin) ingredients! Antiaging skin serum with EGF (epidermal growth factor) for only $12.50 per ounce, that's unheard of! Sounds too good to be true except it is true because Skin Actives is a reliable, dependable, trustworthy company. Very happy to purchase from them. I discovered them when I was searching for the latest growth factor skin serums. They have a comprehensive A-Z online catalog of all the products & additives they offer for all types of skincare needs - dry skin, wrinkles, oily skin, acne, sensitive skin, spider veins, hair loss, rosacea, dermatitis, inflammation, discolorations, other skin conditions, etc.

--- UPDT 12/3/08 ---
I took off 1 point because the odor & grittiness in the texture of this serum discourage me from using it consistently. Good product, but it can use an aesthetic improvement.