Urban Decay NAKED

Urban Decay NAKED

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Pictures and swatches at the end of this review.The ever so wonderful Urban Decay Naked Palette! If your'e familiar with Urban Decay eyeshadows, then you either love 'em or hate 'em for their glitter. I love their Deluxe shadows and wish that some of their glittery eyeshadows didn't have any glitter because the color underneath is perfect! Which is what intrigued me when I first heard about an Urban Decay palette that wasn't going to be a glitter bomb!If you like glitter, that's your thing, but not my cup of tea. Not only that, Urban Decay is sort of known for putting several of the same eyeshadows into their different palettes and books of shadows. This one I'm proud to say has 4 new shades in it. Plus, I've found their eyeshadows to be pigmented, super smooth and easy to work with. Except for that glitter fallout throughout the day!But here UD has not only maintained their wonderful texture and pigmentation here, they did it without glitter! Well, mostly. If anything this palette is full of neutrals and for those of you who think, boring, then this might not be for you. But for those of us who love and use neutrals a lot, even if you have a lot of neutrals or if you have none, this palette is convenient and adds a lot of options to your already existing or non existing selection!The palette measures (while closed) approximately 7 7/8" X 2 1/2". The palette is brown velvet with gold letters. It looks sleek and pretty! Plus, if you notice the weight on the eyeshadows, you'll see that each pan is the equivalent of a regular full sized UD eyeshadow. So you're getting 12 FS eyeshadows for $44! It's a wonderful bargain. But enough chit chat. Here are a few pictures of the palette itself with a few swatches of the colors on my NC40 skin. None of the pictures are with flash.Here are the eyeliners
Here are the first four eyeshadows:

Here are the middle 4 shadows:

And the last 4 shadows:

Now the palette itself:

continued >>

This is probably the most useful palette I have ever bought. I love that it contains a little of everything. Light to dark colors, matte to shimmery. I've worn this palette everyday for the past week. I've done the more matte lighter eye for work and over the weekend I did bronzey smokey eyes. It's a very versatile palette. BTW, I'm an NC35ish and have found all the shades to be very wearable. I also found the eyeshadows to be very pigmented and blendable. I love the dual ended eyeliners which really do last all day. On the negative side, I did experience some fallout with certain shades especially Sidecar. Looked like I had sprinkled silver glitter all over my cheekbones. Needless to say, I had to wipe this off and start over. Also, I forgot to use the primer potion one day and found the eyeshadows to crease badly and fade throughout the day. So for me, using the primer is a must. I usually use primer anyway so this isn't a big deal for me. Overall, it really is a fantastic neutral palette and the price can't be beat for what you get. Will most likely buy a back up as soon as it's in stock again.

on 7/13/2010 10:06:00 AM

This is an awesome palette! I've been using it every day since I got it, and I like that you can do so many different looks, from neutral daytime-appropriate to more sultry or smoky night looks or bronzey summery looks or cooler-toned greys. I think the quality is right on par with the UD single eyeshadows. With 12 full size shadows, a double-ended eyeliner, and a mini Primer Potion, this is an incredible value (I bought mine for $44). These shades are shimmery, sometimes frosty, satiny, or matte. There's some very finely milled glitter, but it swatches as more of a sheen on my skin. I have a little fallout when applying these colors, but I get that with any eyeshadow brand. I will also note that most of the swatches I've seen online appear warmer (to me) than the palette in real life. Here's more information on the shades themselves.

Virgin - new shade - A satiny mostly matte ivory shade. Very pretty and works for me all over lid or as a highlight. Very smooth texture. Not chalky.

Sin - permanent - Super shimmery (maybe a little frosty) champagne shade with super soft texture.

Naked - permanent - A matte nude/buff shade that works all over lid or as highlight for darker skintones, or in crease for fairer skintones. The mattes in this palette are very easy to blend.

Sidecar - new shade - A shimmery (not frosty) taupey brown. This one has some fall-out glitter.

Buck - new shade - Matte medium brown. Super soft and very pigmented. I like to wear this in the crease for my day time look (with Virgin all over lid). My favorite color in the palette. I think this would be similar to MAC Cork or Wedge.

Half Baked - permanent - Goldish coppery bronze shade, very shimmery and slightly frosty (like Sin). I actually think this shade is sort of out of place in this palette.

Smog - permanent - This is a satiny dark bronze, very pretty. This shade really flatters brown eyes. I like to wear it as liner or in the outer V.

Darkhorse - new shade - Very dark brown with a bit of shimmer. It looks more chocolatey in the pan, but I swatched it next to Bobbi Brown Espresso and it was almost as dark (but with shimmer). I really like this as a liner shade.

Toasted - permanent - This is a satiny sort-of-plummy and sort-of-coppery brown. Reminds me of the lighter shade in Nars Kalahari. I wear it all over the lids for a simple sheen.

Hustle - new shade - This looks like a darkened plum brown, but it just swatches as plain brown on me. Very light shimmer. Good for lining or possibly in crease.

Creep - new shade - This is a shimmery black with a tiny bit of blue undertone (not very noticeable on me). It reminds me of MAC Black Tied.

Gunmetal - permanent - A really pretty shimmery gray with a silver sheen.

The liners are Zero (black) and Whiskey (dark brown), both matte and very long lasting.

I highly recommend this palette. The price is awesome, and it's just a versatile piece to have in your makeup arsenal.

on 7/14/2010 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is, without a doubt, the best palette ever to grace the Earth. No palette will ever be this amazing. Does this sound like hyperbole to you? Well, it's not. Okay, if you don't like neutrals, this isn't for you. For the rest of us? This is the best thing EVER. Twelve full-size UD shadows, every bit as amazing as their 17 dollar a pop counterparts. I love how smooth and creamy the mattes are. I have a feeling Naked and Buck are gonna be gone before anything else in my palette. There is a color for every purpose, and I found the gunmetal shade a nice touch. For 44 dollars USD, this is a crazy deal. I had shied away from buying UD shadows because I felt 17 bucks per was too much, and I thought part of the price went into their horrendously gaudy packaging-- which brings me to another point: the package. It's flocked velvet/felt brown with gold lettering. It's very chic, kind of like Urban Decay for adults. Usually, UD caters to almost clown makeup, so I'm super happy to see them tap into a more subdued demographic. Before you factor in the dual-ended eyeliner and the UDPP, this is a great deal. When you factor in the whole thing, it is a tremendous deal. If you can get your hands on one, buy it. The versatility is great.

on 7/10/2010 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I saw this on xparkage's imats haul video and she raved about this product. I did some more research and saw that temptalia gave it a A+ on her blog! I dont think I've ever seen her give an A PLUS before...since neutrals are a must have and i am a sucker for them of course I had to get it. It was sold out on UD site 2 days after it released! Sephora/Ulta is selling it starting august 1st. I managed to get one from Amazon and recieved my pkg yesterday. WOW. For $44 its SUCH A GOOD DEAL! This is the ideal nude palette. It has a mix of light to dark shades as well as matt to shimmery finishes. the packaging is slick, practical and easy to travel with. Comes with black and brown dual 24/7 eyeliners and a mini udpp. EXTREMELY happy with this purchase. My fav UD palette to date.

Video Reviews & Tutorials