Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Very surprisingly impressed with this. The shades are beautiful with brown eyes, I applied it exactly how it's labeled (lid, crease, brow, outer corner) and it looks so beautiful! It reminds me of a Chanel quad. Makes a beautiful, smokey eye that is not over the top. Very office friendly, or you can darken it up for a night out. Way to go, Maybelline.

on 8/16/2009 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

WOW! I am so impressed with this quad, specially since I only wear Lancome makeup and the eyeliner from Clinique. I am particular in love with the crease shade, which is a medium chocolate, shimmery brown with no red undertones. I would not called this a copper color at all. The lid color is a gorgeous, taupey brown, I wore this color by itself, with mascara, black/brown eyeliner and completely brightened my brown eyes. The brow bone color reminds me of lancome latte. The darkest color is perfect for creating a dramatic look for night. It is not a black or gray it is like a black/brown. I have light olive skin and the neutrality of this quad complements my skin very well. Brown eyes girls, go buy this quad!
Update:8/23/09 - I had to take off 2 lippies since the lid color has a lot of fall out. and my eyes are becoming too itchy. Oh, well, I will try to duplicate colors with Lancome.

OMGosh!! I can't believe Maybelline has eyeshadow that is no longer limited to kids and makeup novices!
These are great! The darker matte shade in this palette is super silky like MAC quality. The silver-y taupe shade isn't quite as pigmented (although I haven't used this wet, yet) and the light highlight shade is nice and the copper-y color is awesome.....gonna have to try all of the other Smokes quads!!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I love love love this eyeshadow palette. Out of all the Maybelline smokes quads this is my favorite. I can use this in two ways. One to create a work appropriate look and one is a more dramatic nighttime look. I always carry this with me because it takes me from day to night with my makeup. My work appropriate look consists of the color labeled brow bone all over the lid and the crease color in the crease. I don't like dramatic looks for work and want something that just gives my eyes a little definition. This does it perfectly. My nighttime look is using the quad just as it is labeled for lid, highlight, outer v, and crease. It gives a dark smokey brown look that is a gorgeous take on a smokey eye. I have never hit pan on an eyeshadow but I see myself hitting pan on this. These eyeshadows blend so nicely and they are not too shimmery. I have used it everyday since I bought this. To get more bang for your buck I suggest buying when the drugstores have BOGO Maybelline sales. Then this will only be 3 dollars! I definitely recommend this quad. It is so versatile you won't regret it.

on 8/11/2009 12:07:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The only color that I don't use out of this quad is the light silver-taupe because it has a lot of fallout, so I end up with a glittery face. The other colors are great!!

on 8/12/2009 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I really like this quad. The colors are great, not too shimmery, not too matte, and it STAYS PUT! I can wear it from morning to night and I don't have to touch up or anything. I like wetting it a little bit so it would go on slightly darker. It creates a beautiful smokey look. A definite re buy!

on 6/13/2009 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Purchased for $4.98 @ Walmart..I wondered why I loved this quad so much when I first saw it.. I realized it's because it looks like it could be MAC Smoking Eye quad's faternal twin..the lightest shade or Brow Bone shade is nearly identical to MAC Next to Nothing, though it doesn't have the slight irridescent sheen that Next to Nothing has. not really a highlighter per se, but it lightens, and evens out my lid color(NC15) it is slightly chalky but it's not too bad.. the next shade is the Lid color and it's the Satin Taupe of the quad..slightly lighter and it has some slight sparkle to it..not nearly as nice as ST but it pairs well with the other shades. The Outer Corner shade which is the darkest of the shadows is a nice , pigmented deep chocolatey shade..very much like Showstopper in the Smoking eyes quad..Finally there's the crease shade which is a deep bronzey brown..Not really a dupe for anything in the Smoking quad but again, it pairs well with the rest of the shades..All the shades are for the most part well pigmented for the price and for being drugstore shadows..I will definitely be getting more quads from this collection

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

This is sooooooooooooo gorgeous! Taupe lovers, you need to go buy this. While the other three Smokes palettes are more shimmery and showy, the Natural Smokes palette is perfect for work but can certainly be applied and worn dramatically! The shades compliment each other perfectly, are completely neutral (I was worried that the crease shade - a bronzey brown - would be too orangy but it's not at all once applied) and very, very nicely pigmented. Applying the shades as labeled, with the addition of black liner and mascara, this palette makes my dark brown eyes look so soft and naturally beautiful; I had to keep looking at them all day today! Tomorrow morning I'm going to experiment with a smokey look and I cannot wait to see how these shades do. And...I'm going to buy a back-up since I don't know if these palettes are LE or not. At 40% off (Rite Aid) they're $3.59 each! Read Aligirl's reviews on the other palette shades and go hunt them down!!! The Emerald and the Charcoal are especially stunning.

Natural Smokes is one of four newly released "Expert Wear Eyeshadow Quads" in the "Stylish Smokes" collection.

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with Maybelline's eyeshadow quads as they have been reformulated over the last couple of years and are pretty good for drugstore eyeshadows.

Natural Smokes comes in 4 colors - (1) a cream colored, satin textured shade that is designated for the brow bone; (2) a cool-toned, medium taupe that has a shimmery texture that is designed for the eyelid; (3) a dark brown shade with a shimmery texture that is designated for the crease; and (4) a cool-toned, dark, smokey brown with a matte texture that is designated for outer corner. This shade reminds me of MAC Brun or MAC Dark Edge (LE).

I love this quad because the browns are all neutral to cool-toned and don't have any red undertones (especially because I have noticed that a lot of brown colored drugstore eyeshadows tend to have red undertones).

The quad packaging is similar to the usual Expert Wear eyeshadow packaging except it comes with a black colored base (as opposed to the typical blue colored base). It comes with 2 sponge applicators. Even if you don't like sponge applicators, I recommend that you keep them and use them because when I use an eyeshadow brush to apply these eyeshadows, it doesn't pick up as much of eyeshadows. The sponge tip applicators, on the other hand, do a great job of picking up and depositing the colors so the eyeshadows appear more pigmented.

I was torn about whether to award this quad 4 lipsticks or 5 lipsticks - if I could I would give it 4.5 lipsticks only because the darkest shade isn't as easy to blend as I would like it to be (in that way, it is very similar to MAC Brun and MAC Dark Edge because those weren't as easy to blend as well, in my experience). Nevertheless, I gave it a 5 because overall, Natural Smokes is still an impressive quad considering that is a drugstore product.

I am not sure if this is LE or permanent but I bought a back up just in case.

For a picture of the Natural Smokes Quad, please see the link to "The Pink Train Case blog" (not my blog). She has pictures of all the quads of from the Stylish Smokes collection.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

WOW! I am blown away by the quality of these eyeshadows, and for only $5! I actually prefer this quad to my MAC smokey eyes palette; as a whole the shadows in the Maybelline quad are better quality and more pigmented - my MAC palette has some chalky shades mixed in with the decent ones, and I also find that I need a base for the MAC colors to show up really dark and smokey, whereas I don't with these. Unlike one of the reviewers below, I didn't have any trouble at all getting the shadows to show up using my MAC 239 and 217 brushes, so I tossed the useless sponge applicators.