Differin Gel

Differin Gel

during highschool i struggled with acne. i had many unsuccesful experiments with over-the-counter products: Clean and Clear, L'Oreal crap, Neutrogena crap, etc. i finally went to the derm and he prescribed Differin with Duac. I wash my face with LUSH fresh farmacy twice a day and apply Differin or Duac every other night for 5X a week. the duac smells like onions after a couple of weeks, and I have to throw it out. but the differin is different. indeed. it's colorless, absorbs easily, and scentless. it's been my skin savior for at least 1 year. i don't feel that i need other acne-products.

if i took better care of my skin (read: drank more water, exercised, stopped picking pimples, ate properly, stopped stressing myself with school, slept HAH -nothappening), then my acne could disappear altogether. but until then, i will depend on differin.

like most acne products, it does dry your skin out. so you should use moisturizer with SPF during the day.

on 12/6/2007 1:56:00 PM

OMG. This is a life saver for me, no doubt! I had an adult acne problem starting at the end of college, and it got really really bad, with cystic acne. Somedays I didn't want to leave the house, for real. I couldn't find foundation to cover it. My family and friends didn't recognize me. Proactiv was horrible for me. But my derm recommended this and although my skin got a little worse for a few weeks, it cleared up my skin and made it soft and smooth. I am so grateful for this and Cetaphil, I can't say enough.

on 9/16/2007 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was prescribed Differin by my derm to clear some mild, non-inflamed acne (and occasional inflamed chin pimples). It made my skin 10x worse within the first two weeks. It gave me inflamed red bumps all over my chin, which never went away for the entire 2 months I was using Differin. I didn't start to improve until I went off Differin and started going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. I hated this stuff!!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Skintype: DSPW
I used Differin mostly for anti-age. Although I use Taz all over my face, my nose doesn't seem to like it. So I thought as Differin is milder, might give it a try. The first few days I noticed improvement: less blackheads, clearer skin, even colour. But later on my nose seem to look more red than usual. So I stopped. I give it 3 lippes because overall this was a good product but it just didn't seem to suit me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

differin gel, I love you. You've never irritated my skin, you're colorless, odorless, and practically weightless and dry quickly without feeling heavy or greasy. And after a few months of nightly use, you've cleared up my skin perfectly. My HG retinoid. And I only need a pea size amount. (Ok, a big pea, but still a pea). $30 a tube at inhousepharmacy.com with shipping included, name brand Galderma product. Also at alldaychemist.com under a different name but still by Galderma for $5 per tube, but for a tube half the size, but you pay $25 for flat rate shipping.***********update 12/16/07********* I have since tried other retinoids - diacneal, high potency retinols, retin A gel and cream, and tazorac cream, and nothing is as effective and as gentle as differin gel!! I now know better than to stray from using this. there was an initial purging so be warned. but the results afterwards are so worth it - clear smooth skin. And definitely a decrease in blackheads on my nose! nothing else has ever done that before. The only thing that I dont particularly like is, when I put it and and it dries, it makes my face feel tight. But after an hour or two that feeling goes away. It also goes away if I use a moisturizer, although I dont want to buffer any of the effects, so I usually wait a few hours for that. but its worth it.

on 10/14/2007 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After 2 years of using this product I realized that I never reviewed it. My skin is super sensitive and I was concerned about using Differin gel. Generally I use it once a twice a week and a little more often in the summer months when I am oiler. It works great for my skin and helps keep it clearer and the pores look smaller. I do notice that my face looks red in the morning after using it but usually calms down. Just recently I learned on the boards about waiting before putting on moisturizer so that I don't dilute it and it works much better if I don't dilute it but I do get a little drier and more red. I just ordered my second container and am using it for maintenance. People talk about purging but I never noticed it happening to me. And I am using the .1 strength and now the is a .3. Since I am so sensitive, I will stick with the ..1

on 2/1/2007 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

DD just started using this wonderful gel about two weeks ago. She's having some minor purging but since she's now at nightly applications, hopefully this stage will pass quickly. I have also restarted using it since my recent and awful reaction to Tazorac cream, .05%. We are both quite pleased.
DD and I are quite sensitive, breakout and dermatitis-prone.

DESCRIPTION: DIFFERIN Gel, containing adapalene, is used for the topical treatment of acne vulgaris. Each gram of DIFFERIN Gel contains adapalene 0.1% (1 mg) in a vehicle consisting of carbomer 940, poloxamer 182, edetate disodium, methylparaben, sodium carbomer 940, edentate disodium, methylparaben poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide. May contain hydrochloric acid to adjust pH.

continued >>

on 2/1/2007 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I originally posted this review under Treatments -> Unlisted Brand -> Differin.

If you have fairly uncomplicated adult (or teen) acne, this may be the right thing for you. In my teenage years, this didn't do much for my skin. (To be fair, I did finally go on Accutane, so my acne at that point was fairly bad.) However, Differin does seem to be keeping my current minor flareups at bay and helps get rid of whatever does pop up. It's also fairly mild, compared to Retin-A formulas, so this could be a good first step into prescription acne medication. In fact, I really wish this was available over the counter. I've used treatments that are over the counter and are much more harsh than this!

I use Differin at night over my entire face perhaps three or four times a week. It doesn't sting my eye area, but I don't get extremely close to that area to begin with. Differin doesn't seem to dry out my face - my face is the same dryness with or without using Differin - or make it more oily. I do find that using a gentle cleanser to remove this works best. If I use Cetaphil (made by Galderma, the same company that makes Differin!) to remove Differin in the morning, it's not very drying. However, if I use Clinique's oily skin liquid cleanser, my face becomes very dry. That is mostly due to the Clinique cleanser, which can be stripping.

I do recommend that if you use Differin, you spread it over your entire face unless you're very sensitive to it. That way you're actually using this product as an acne preventor, as opposed to something that clears up current acne. Differin works OK as a spot treatment, but if you only use it over the same small area night after night, you might experience peeling in that area, causing it to look different from the rest of your face.

Over time, the tube may become brittle. My tube actually popped a hole on one of the creases, so I turned to man's best friend. No, not dogs - duct tape! I'm sure this isn't entirely good for the medication itself, but it certainly did prevent any more loss of this product. I would recommend a different tape or moving the medication to another NON-TRANSPARENT container if this happens to you. continued >>

I was prescribed this for my mild acne. It's supposed to make your skin worse before it gets better, but mine just never got better, even after a month or two. I guess this just isn't for me. UPDATE: I actually just started using this again, and it seems to be working better than last time. I didn't really go through much of a purging period, but I'm on week 3, so maybe it will still come.