Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Differin Acne Treatment Gel

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

After 10 weeks of using Differin 0.1% gel I have to say I'm pretty impressed. My skin no longer breaking out, my pores are starting to clear and I have a nice healthy glow.

I used differin 0.1% on my whole face a few times only, so I can not comment on how well or bad it's working in general, I think it makes my skin very very oily and itchy, I wanted to comment that it does help to get read of developing pimples very fast, developing, those that sit underneath the skin, not erupted ones. It does not just dry out the pimple like other treatments do, and does not leave red dry spots (it will burn your skin and make things worse if you apply it to inflamed erupted/open zit, never do it, otherwise it will take weeks for one to heal), it kills bacteria from inside and reduces the redness. This is the best spot treatment ever (please note I am talking about a couple of zits, I do not suffer from persistent acne). Update. I believe you can get used to differin. I used finacea gel for a couple of months and ended up having the worst breakouts I have ever had in my life, differin and lower strength retinoids didn't help. 0.1% a-ret gel stopped inflammation and dried cysts out quickly. I still use differin on smaller pimples because it's not as harsh as retin. Good spot treatment for me (6m later).

on 4/25/2008 10:50:00 PM

ive been using differin .1 gel for less than a year and i love it! i finally went to the derm after suffering with acne for seven years. although i cant credit differin with clearing up actual acne (i can thank my birth control for that!!) differin did help with my post acne red marks. i had TONS of them alllll over my face. it was almost as bad as having the actual pimples. my derm gave me this and within two months the red marks faded SO much! they werent completely gone but better. however at that time , that was good enough for me. i just started to pay more attention to my skin esp. with summer coming up and started to use this to fade my marks even more and hopefully have them disappear. they're super stubborn so im gonna try my best to be patient with these. but in the past differin has worked amazingly. i also only pay about 30 bucks for this which isnt bad. oh yeah - it also basically gets rid of an actual pimple like overnight -- no, seriously. put it on before bed and what could've been the biggest thing in the world- its barely there. LOVE this stuff! try it and be patient! ill def update in a few weeks.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been on this a couple weeks now. In the first few days, I experienced some peeling and itching. Now, a few weeks later, my face is oilier than ever and covered in huge cysts. Is this purging? Because I hope it goes away soon...I look HORRIBLE! I've never had so many large pimples at one time in my life, and am using bp during the daytime to try to combat the acne. SO far, Differin has not helped my skin at all- I hope that the purging will end quickly and that my skin begins to respond to treatment. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, but if this keeps up, I prbly can't continue.

on 3/30/2008 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Love this product. I have oily, sensitive skin that is easily prone to breakouts (typically whiteheads and blackheads). I have been using this consistently for about 9 months with great results-- no longer get whiteheads and blackheads around nose are gone (saw improvement after 5 days). My pores also look smaller. I didn't get the purging that others experienced. But my skin is not naive to variety of products since I was a teen, including retin-A (haven't used in >10yrs), benzamycin (use very rarely), AHA/BHA (consistent), mechanical exfoliants (consistent), microdermabrsion (not consistent), facials (not consistent). I have noticed no breakouts when I use this consistently every night and no longer feel like I need microdermabrasion/facials!! You have to use with a moisterizer afterwards (best to wait 3-5 minutes before applying to allow differin to absorb) or else will get peeling, flaking, and dry skin (and this is coming from someone who has all-around very oily skin!). And definitely use sunscreen during the day. I had to stop using differin for a couple of days b/c of flaking and brokeout the next day! Once I restarted, pimples gone by next morning. Wonderful product!

on 3/28/2008 2:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

im 13 years old, and using this at night while using (eryacne) a different product in the mornings. My GP prescribed this for my acne which i seem to have all over my face. She said it will most likely get worse before it gets better. i've been using this for awhile and it at first it got sooo bad i was embarrassed to show my face at school. few months later my acne is there. a bit of a clear up but nothing dramatic. i have to finish my prescription before i go back but i think this will do the trick if i continue for the next 4-5 months. i do recommend to try if you are an acne sufferer. best of luck

on 2/16/2008 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this was prescribed by my doctor about 5 yrs ag0 wen i was 16 and it worked wonders!!! it dus take time...so u really do havta b patient but the results r unbelievable.. haven't had breakouts ever since..(maybe jus a few wen its dat time of the month or if im a little stressed)..but over all with proper skincare habits its great...my pores are smaller..smoother..and less oily r...its prescription but i bought 1 w/o 1 online..bit pricey but..im pretty sure i'll be using this 4 years!

on 2/16/2008 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm using the 0,1% version, this is the second-third time that I have been using it. I got it from my doctor to help me with my oilyness and big pores. After washing my face at evening I put on my face. My face does get a bit dry-ish after, but nothing bad, after 10 my face is normal again. The pores does get smaller after putting it on, and my face does not get that oily. 20 min after I put on an antioxidant lotion for the night.
The differin has made my face much smoother, helping me with some of the clogged pores. My doctor said that it takes time, so I'm waiting.
I have some acne breakouts on my face and it helps with some of them, not all of them.
The redness that I have on some parts of the face is not as strong as it used to be. The skintone is more even now.
Dr. Baumann recomended using this for my skintype in her book as an antiage lotion. The retinoid helps to build new collagen or something like that. So my face is much smoother after using this for about a month now, a big plus!
The only downsides with it is that the retinoid exfoliates the skin a bit, and together with my BHA-toner my face is now to shiny and glowy. Ok that is a good thing to have a healty glow but for me with oily skin, I can't stand any extra shine. Also the area around the nose has become a bit sensitive, and the bismurth oxichloride in mineralmakeup makes the area a bit ichy, specially whent becomming wet.
Overall, I'm going to continue to use this, it helps, and that I have seen, but it takes time!
Remember to use sunscreen (15 or more), the retinoids does make your face more sensitive fore the sun!!

on 2/10/2008 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using the gel 0.1 for more than a month now. It is great. It is very gentle - no irritation even though I have very sensitive skin, but effective - only occasional pimple but generally I don't have to worry about pimple anymore. What else can you ask for?

on 2/3/2008 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

i have been using this for a few months now, and i definitely see a huge difference in my acne. i also added alpha hydrox 10% gel to my morning routine, which caused purging at first, but now things are calm, and breakouts are greatly reduced. it's a multi-faceted approach for me, including boscia clear complexion cleanser and toner (which i add tea tree oil and lavender oil to) twice a day, along with differin at night and AH in the morning. this keeps me about 70% clear. better than nothing!