Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

Lancôme La Vie Est Belle

3.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

First of all, I want to make clear that this is my second perfume review. There are only a few notes I can actually recognize, and I really wish I could describe a perfume as detailed as many as you can... on the other hand, maybe it's a good thing that I'm no expert - because most women who buy perfumes are no experts, but they know what they like and don't like. And maybe it's a good thing that I'm not one that "can't see the woods for the trees", if you know what I mean? Anyway, here is my review.

I have never bought any Lancome perfume. They're not appealing in any way, they have always been so mediocre I never even gave them a second thought. I was surprised, because La vie est belle is very different from their other scents.

I am surprised many people here call this too sweet, that wasn't really my first thought... I tried this on, and my first thought was that it was very powdery, like Chanel's new perfume Coco Noir, that I'm not very fond of either. The notes they have in common are jasmine and patchouli... I don't like powdery scents, but I realize maybe other older women will like it - I don't mean that in a bad way, it's no secret that young women don't always like the same perfumes as more mature women.

For the rest of the day, all I could smell was this overpowering powdery vanilla scent... I didn't want to wash it off because I always wait to see if it gets better. It lingered all day, and in the evening I actually could accept it - it was still powdery and vanilla, but not at all as powdery as in the beginning. I smell vanilla and maybe a little patchouli... but that's all, as I said, I'm no expert.

What's interesting is that when it had been on my skin for a couple of hours, it really reminded me of Gucci Rush, which I love but won't wear. The notes they have in common are patchouli, vanilla and jasmin. Gucci Rush is much more patchouli and gardenia, La vie est belle is much more vanilla - and the most important detail - I love Rush, I really don't like La vie est belle.

I can see more mature women liking this - I don't even know what you all get "teenage girl, cotton candy sweet" from, actually.

on 9/16/2012 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

What's wrong with perfumery these days? Why so many new creations have to smell like candy to appeal to the customers? It might be considered fashionable/trendy I guess.
I have fallen for that too, I don't pretend to be the wise one here. I have bought princess and taj sunset and candy. All sugary sweet and so little more. But you know what? It's so monotonous and NOT feminine to smell syrupy sweet.
La vie est belle is all about sweet praline and sweet vanilla. That's it. The sweetness leaves so little space for the other notes to develop. Good silage and longevity but I've nothing more to add. I start facing it as a bad joke.

on 9/12/2012 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

One word......DELICIOUS!!! I love sweet smells (my absolute fav is Flowerbomb) I'm so glad I got this, it lasts a really long time (almost a whole work day) and fades nicely. It's sweet but not too sweet, like a grown up sexy sweet. It's similar to Flowerbomb because they both have notes of Patchouli, but that's the only hint of similarity, I wouldn't consider this a dupe for it in any way because they smell completely different on me, to me this one is a little sweeter, Flowerbomb is a little spicier :) I would def repurchase, but next time I'll get the bigger bottle!! Only thing I don't like is the little piece of ribbon wrapped around the neck of the bottle, I just don't get it :/ o well doesn't affect my rating, I'm just saying! :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I first walked up to the Lancome counter last week, this perfume was everywhere and I thought it was extremely unpleasant. When I saw the salesperson drop a sample into my bag as I made my purchases I thought, "never gonna wear it." I did give it a try it when I got home and I am so glad I did. This must be a perfume that really reacts differently to each person's chemistry. It isn't overly sweet on me, and is just a really lovely scent. It also lasts for ages. I haven't purchased a traditional perfume in years, but I think I'll head back and buy a bottle.

LOVEW this fragrance, already finished one botle and on the second, I think I like most lancome fragrances wore Miracle for years, get so many compliments on this fragrance it is wonderful, sure others have told the notes, dh got it for me at Macys and it is helping my new knee heal, I have two new knees and a lot of perfume.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really like this fragrance. Probably because it reminds me of flower bomb and not so expensive. It is slightly sweet, vanilla and chocolate seem to be present with a hint of patchouli and of course iris.

on 9/2/2012 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've already finished my big bottle of this. I absolutely love it! I get compliments on it EVERY time I wear it. Definitely not a long wearing perfume, but it stays on me for quite some time during my day. I highly recommend!

on 8/28/2012 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

love this....great warm sweet sexy scent! if you love flowerbomb, this is for u! love!

on 8/28/2012 10:04:00 PM

UPDATE: Ok, tested this again yesterday. Must knock off a couple of lippies. Did I say the initial whiff was a bit harsh? Make that, toxic. I sprayed some on my wrist at Sephora and I couldn't wait to scrub it off. And you're getting this from someone who is NOT afraid of strong scents. If you can wait for the dry-down, you might like this. For me, the initial harshness just took too long to go away. Not for me. .

I sprayed some of this stuff at Sephora today and I liked it. It is sweet, but not in a cotton candy way (like the horrid Acquolina Pink Sugar). More of a gourmand sweet. Unlike others, it's the dry-down I liked. The initial whiff was a bit harsh, but later it turned into a soft, sweet, powdery scent. I love iris, so no problem for me there. This would make a yummy cold weather scent, although I'm one of those people who wears anything anytime.

Would I buy it? I'm not sure. I need to get a sample and wear it for a couple of days before I decide. But the first impression was a good one.

on 8/23/2012 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

La Vie est Belle flaunts loads of powdery iris on top, with jasmine and orange blossom, a generous helping of praline, vanilla, and is anchored with subtle patchouli in the base. Very feminine, extremely sweet, very pretty in the later drydown but a bit overwhelming for me with iris, sweet praline and vanilla in the opening and early in the drydown. Reminds me of a mix of Coco Mademoiselle, Flowerbomb, and Prada Candy. I get several hours of longevity from La Vie Est Belle, and it's around even the next morning. The final drydown the next day is much like Shalimar Initial with the iris, jasmine, vanilla and patchouli.

Popular Fragrances