Jean Patou 1000

Jean Patou 1000
1000

4.3

on 9/10/2008 11:05:00 PM

There are some fragrances that take a bit of getting used to, but after a full course of it, as a man you just seems to want more. Recently a lady friend has been wearing 1000 by Jean Patou all the time, the EDT from the start of the morning, the EDP at dinner unless the venue is high end. If so and always before bed a few dainty dabs of the perfume to set the mood.

I have always been inspired by fragrances, ever since I began to get ritual weekly haircuts beginning on my 11th birthday and for many years after, as I visited a classic British barber and tried out all of his hundreds of scents from limes and bay rums from the Carribean, to all the scents by Shulton, Caswell, Creed and most of the French designer fragrances. I always felt so fresh and ready for anything after those visits, right through college and into my first high powered jobs. I also appreciated the knowing glances by "older" women (somewhere over 25 years old) as they caught a hint of my scent, and sometimes were close enough that I caught a bit of theirs.

But only recently had I met a "1000 woman" thru and thru. Oddly enough for such a direct fragrance, it is very expensive and not available just anywhere. 1000 is very sophisticated and is one of the best women's fragrances when it comes to blending well with what a man wears. It blends especially well with Aramis, English Leather, Old Spice, Eau Sauvage, Fahrenheit and a quality Bay Rum or Oak Moss fragrance for men.

Indeed as a night goes on whether outdoors enjoying the sulty air or ... indoors enjoying the sultry air, there is a special sensuality about 1000 that draws a man "in" as in intimacy. Mille perfume has a special warmth that seems to draw a man closer in a gentle but persistent kind of way.

Jean Patou has always had a way of projecting femininity from a woman, out towards a man (as opposed to being like wearing a "female overcoat", or aggressive fem-machine-gun). Mille does this in a no nonsense but highly attractive kind of way. Mille it seems can work with the fresh scent of a woman instead of covering it up (maybe it's the "green-ness of it).

Not fruity or overly sweet, 1000 can be worn all day long, and the concentrated bath oil can have an extremely powerful effect on a man. It has the kind of power to make a man bury his face in the towel the woman just used and then seek her out to cradle her in his arms. It is truly an intoxicating experience for both parties.

So perhaps while Joy is all about flowers and a young lady's blossoming into a woman, 1000 is all about projecting the maximum womanliness possible. Strong modern woman seem to be best suited to using 1000 all day long, or at least women who want to be seen strong and modern might wear it for the same reason. I've seen the influence 1000 has on a woman coming to grips with the power a woman can wield, If you are spending some quality time with a man you really like and ... want, give him a message he'll understand right down to his ... soul, by wearing Mille morning noon and night. He won't ever get enough. continued >>

on 6/24/2008 10:48:00 AM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I received this as a sample, spritzed it on and admired the topnote. But within a few mins, I was convinced that one of my dogs had pooped in the adjacent living room. A quick check confirmed that both were napping, and then the source of the intensely fecal smell was discovered when I sniffed my wrist. An overpowering odor des poopies. I waited, hoping it would go away. But it did not, and I ended up scrubbing it off. I gave it a few more tries with the same result. My nose must just focus on the indoles, or the skatoles, or whatever molecule it is that can smell fecal in dilution. A bummer, but I blame my nose and not the fragrance, since anything that has been a steady seller for so many years has to be more pleasing than not.

Sophisticated, clean, yet pretty. Very wearable, subtle, and unique. Wish it wasn't so expensive. A bit powdery, but a great fragrance for work that exudes grownup confidence.

on 2/16/2008 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Less loud than most 70s scents, this is still clearly in the older style of perfumery. Slightly ripe florals over a classic base with sandalwood, civet and patchouli, it smells like it cost a lot, but I'm not sure it smells like it was worth it. It smells dated. I have nothing against a perfume that doesn't smell like modern blah-mall perfumes, but this one is just so very...vintage. Vintage in an out-of-style way, not in a 1916 retro way. It's not bad, but I sure won't be wearing it out of the house. And as it dries down more completely, I'm starting to detect that flowers-gone-off scent some of the other reviewers noted. No, I don't agree with the enthusiasts: This is not a classy, timeless, sexy scent. It's shoulder pads in a red suit and hairspray helmet hair. Gotta go scrub. EDIT: Second try, years later. It's a leathery old style chypre floral. A tiny bit reminiscent of Arpege in the tarry aldehyde and apricot feeling. A little bit soapy in the green notes. Nice enough and def black tie, but still not my kind of thing at all.

on 4/22/2008 2:50:00 PM

A strange scent that combines elegance and wildness, like finding a cluster of dainty violets in a creaky, dangerous wood. As daring as Mitsouko, but without Mitsouko's romantic aspirations and Deco-inflected artistry. Both of these classics safety-pin florals to moss, and they both do it in a way that is surreal, even given their seamlessness.

1000 is even stranger than Mitsouko. Despite its fragility, violet (as a scent note) is never easy to tame. It's always too sweet, too Victorian, perhaps even too simplistic to do more than to announce itself and then coyly retire. In 1000, the violet feels organic as it slowly disappears into decay, becoming mulchy and then dry, as if it has acquiesed to nature and the natural cycle of birth and death, decomposition and decay.

This makes 1000 difficult to wear. It's rooty and unpretty in its base notes, yet it is gay enough to give the appearance of freshness at the top. It is nothing like Joy, although the sense of briars continues from one Patou to the other. It's just that Joy doesn't scratch and 1000 does. Those expecting a floral bouquet will be disappointed; 1000 is too gothic for that, or perhaps too literary. It's the Edgar Allan Poe of the classic florals, juxtaposing a simple event with a much darker, possibly ominous one.

on 2/20/2008 10:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

1000 to me is a nice green chypre in the same vein as Chanel 19. On my skin, the two are similar, replacing the iris of 19 with an earthy violet in 1000. It is so similar to 19 to me that I wouldn't buy a full bottle, but the lovley violet note is nice enough that I might keep a decant of this around for spring.

on 12/29/2006 10:23:00 AM

Elegant, classic, classy, sophisticated, rich, unique, timeless; I can't think of enough adjectives to describe this Beauty!!!!

Deep, dark, gorgeous. Defies categorization. This is a "rich" floral, but where are the bright, fresh flowers. The answer: this perfume uses some of the world's most expensive natural ingredients, such as Grasse jasmine, damascena and centifolia rose, Indonesian patchouli, and Mysore sandalwood. As such, it smells more woody than the synthetics to which we have grown accustomed. As such, it smells vintage, even though it is new.
Imagine going back to a time when a perfumer was told, "Forget cost. Forget mass production. Just make it great." This is the spirit of Jean Patou (Mille) 1000.
Perfumery, like cuisine, is all about ingredients. Hence the high price for this fragrance. Is it worth it? Yes, especially if you do not wear today's fruity florals, chocolate candies, and simple, clean scents. A good candidate would be someone who loves chypres and serious, complex, mysterious fragrances.
This perfume will draw you in. Most florals expand outward, diffusing sweetness. Hence, they risk becoming piercingly sweet and cloying. Mille seems to concentrate the scent of a thousand flowers in one, small space. That one place where it is applied acts like a gravitational force, a black hole, a dark star of fragrance.
Knowing nothing about this perfume, my first reaction was, "Is this a patchouli fragrance?"
"No," said the salesman. "It is osmanthus and other flowers."
Indeed it was. All of them were well-blended, smooth and strong, but dark and focused, with an edge, and enveloped in aromatic vapor. Individual notes escaped in nanosecond bursts from this compressed richness. I have never smelled anything like this before.
The sun shone down on my skin, night fell, and a sexual, intimate human note appeared. It was naughty. I was transfixed.
This sophisitcated perfume will not please everybody, but popular taste is not necessarily good taste.
It is best to try Jean Patou (Mille) 1000 at an authorized distributor, such as Nordstrom's or Neiman Marcus because their supply is fresh. They tell me that they often run out because production is limited. That is good, because natural products have a shelf life. A discount bottle from the Internet might be good enough for a first try, but if you like it, buy the best you can afford.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Finally tried Jean Patou's 1000... It's bold, pretty and grounded. In my mind, 1000 conjures up pictures of an impeccably dressed woman in a Chanel suit, chauffeured around New York City to take care of business whether social or professional. This to me is a power fragrance -- pure and simple. Actually, I didn't expect to like 1000, but I reallydo. What a surprise...

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I wish I could type this in really tiny font. I think this is pretty, I think I could wear this often. I've wanted to gag after A La Nuit, less so from Carnal Flower... I didn't think much of Joy. But I really want a rich floral to love. Maybe its the Osmanthus, and I smell something green like coriander. This is special. The sillage is just right, not too aldeyhidey to bother my nose. I hope it doesn't smell too similar to other cheaper alternatives. I'd hate to fall in love and have to spend this much on a regular basis.

Popular Fragrances