PENHALIGON'S Lily & Spice

No Image

4.2

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

The only thing I can criticise about this beautiful fragrance is Penhaligon’s marketing of it. ‘Sensual, heady, hedonistic, carnally spiced’; rather it should be described as, ‘full-bodied, feminine, ethereal and realistic’. The lily blooms on application, and you can even smell the pollen on the stamen, which powders the skin with a haunting but very detectable dust. I think they were rather stingy with the saffron, which would have turned this into a masterpiece, but it is just about present amidst the soap. Vanilla is the most dominant note, other than the Madonna lily, and the clove can be found, though it is blended so smoothly it’s packed right down into the cream. Musk, in my opinion, doesn’t sparkle, so I don’t know what they were going on about there, but the musk is present and rather pleasing, if a little on the white side. The patchouli is very clean, and though I can detect benzoin – one of my favourite notes – it is too subtle to carry any apothecary connotations. I think the well-blended nature of Lily and Spice is its undoing; it is so perfectly soft and even, it always stays in the realm of ‘pretty’, rather than ‘edgy’ or ‘daring’, as the literature suggests. However, as a fan of Un Lys, I think this stands up as a great lily fragrance. It’s less musky, less perfumey, more realistic and equally as sweet. The other comparison, which I think Lily and Spice is superior to, is Casablanca Lily by Antica Farmacista. If I didn’t know otherwise I would swear this to be that same fragrance – which also showcases clove – and I would be confused as to why this new version blooms so realistically.
I think this deserves five lipsticks as a beautiful, sweet, white floral fragrance – the perfect partner to a white cotton sun dress. Unlike some floral notes, lily works for me, and I feel sure this has a place in my collection. I will wear it with eyeliner, as Penhaligon’s would wish, but just because I like contrast.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Acutally I loved it - the lily comes strong on my skin and takes some time to calm down. Afterwards the spices are definitely there, no vanilla at all! rather wood and incense, to stay warm, powdery on the skin. The lasting power though is pretty poor, and therefore it is too expensive. A perfect scent for a "wild" one, a beauty AND a beast, a girly during the day, a seductive vamp in the evening.

on 9/16/2008 6:05:00 PM

All Lily...no spice.Long lasting true Lily fragrance though.

on 10/30/2007 3:14:00 PM

To me, Lily & Spice is Un Lys minus the creamy vanilla. The "spice" half of its name is a bit of a misnomer, because all I can smell is the barest hint of saffron giving it a slight pollen-ish note. Overall, it's a lovely and slightly green lily fragrance that might appeal to people who find Un Lys too sweet or not natural enough.

Popular Fragrances