Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

Meow Cosmetics Flawless Feline Mineral Foundation

3.4

Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I feel bad givign this product a bad rating since the owners seem like honest and hardworking people.
I am dark skinned with golden undertones and did not seemed to find a match but at the time really wanted to get away from commercial foundations and decided to switch. I got an OK match in MAU (i think) and ordered the full size.
It looked ok but made my face really itchy. I do not know which ingredient is the culprit since it has no bismuth.

on 2/6/2012 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

After realizing my beloved Chanel foundation and primer were the cause of my breakouts, I began the switch to mineral foundations. I heard good things about Meow, and I wish I tried them sooner! As I have acne scarring/pitting from my teenage years I needed something with full coverage, so I passed on Purrfect Puss. Pampered Puss is nice, but I needed to build it up to get the coverage I needed and it didn't control oil at all despite using the oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder with it. Flawless Feline is *perfect* for my needs, giving full coverage yet a natural look in one thin layer. Used together with Meow's oily primer and Top Cat finishing powder my face is flawless yet natural-looking all day long. When I *do* get oily my face is dewy, not shiny. I spritz my kabuki with rosewater during application and spritz my face when done, which is probably why I'm not getting the dry, cakey look others have mentioned. I also use a HA serum and camellia oil for my moisturizer, so I imagine that if your face were bone-dry FF may not work for you. There *is* a bit of tightness when first applied (probably from the kaolin clay) but this dissipates quickly. I did have to take a lippy off as there's a major leap between Meow's medium and medium-deep shades (the 3-5 range).

On another note, I'm unsure as to why this foundation is getting such a low rating. I can understand any allergic reactions and drying effects, but those complaining about the color matching and shipping IMO need to chill and be patient. Meow is a small indie company, not a huge international conglomerate like MAC. If you want instant gratification, this isn't where you should be looking. If you want to support a small company with great products and value for the cost, you can't get much better than Meow. As for the color matching, it's easy to figure out if you're willing to be patient, do your research, and ask for help.

EDIT 5/9/12: Had to knock another lippy off and change my re-buy status to "no". My skin's gotten a lot better so I don't need as much coverage, and with the weather getting warmer FF was making my face itch and sting like crazy. Switched to Pampered Puss and I'm perfectly happy. I did find a perfect match in PP without mixing, Slinky Manx.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

After seeing this regarded as so many people's holy grail foundation, I decided to give it a try. I ordered a ton of samples, and it took almost three weeks to receive them. None of them were a spot-on match, but Inquisitive Siamese was extremely close. I liked it enough to order a full size, though going back to their website made me realize how much I dislike the cat theme. I like kitties, and I think the names of the products themselves are cute (Feliner, Pampered Puss, etc.), but carrying that over to the foundation shades is a bit ridiculous. I want to be able to go straight to what I'm looking for, not have to click on cat breeds to see which undertones they match. Anyway, after placing my order, it was about two weeks before my foundation even shipped. I understand that happens, but I'd now invested over a month just to get my correct shade of foundation.

I really like the large size jar, and I like that I can dump some into the lid and get it on my brush from there. However, the formula just doesn't work for me. I do have some beige and pink undertones, but the corresponding foundation shades had too much of them for me. The neutral provides the best coverage, but it just don't look right on me. It does cover up what I want, but it still lets my barely-there pink undertone shine through. If I want to really tone it down, I have to apply so much foundation that it starts looking chalky/grey. I have to spend a lot of time applying it just so, so that my acne scars and red skin is covered without looking like I have a pound of powder on my face. It can be done, but I can't stand in front of the mirror for half an hour most days.

Aside from the color issue, I can get some serious discomfort from this foundation. It does itch some when I first apply it, though if I've recently put on a moisturizer, it's not as bad. However, if I sweat or if it's humid outside, I itch a LOT. The skin under my eyes will actually burn enough that I have to rinse the makeup off with water to make it stop. I live in Florida, so...yeah. That happens a lot. I know Pampered Puss is supposed to negate this problem, but it simply does not have the coverage I need.

All that said, the foundation never seemed to clog my pores, and I only need minor touch ups on my nose and chin after a couples hours of wear. I don't think that outweighs the down sides, unfortunately.

As it stands right now, I will be looking for a new foundation. I'm sure if I tried, I could find another shade that matches better. Or I could spend a long time on my makeup every day, applying a ton of concealer so I could get away with a lighter coverage formula. However, that could easily take several months since just getting a batch of samples easily takes three weeks. It's very disappointing since even after four months, I've barely made a dent in the jar. I do think I will keep it around to apply with a wet brush as a concealer, though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The two biggest things I love about Meow Cosmetics are what it's made out of and how it matches my skin tone. Over the last couple of years, my skin has gone from being resistant to slightly sensitive. Since I wear makeup everyday for work, I decided to switch over to mineral makeup in an effort to cut down on breakouts. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right color with Bare Escentuals. The closest I could get was the Medium Tan, but I still ended up looking pink...and kind of off. Being of Polynesian and Asian descent, it's incredibly difficult to find a foundation and powder that really looks good - not beige, but also not entirely yellow. Neutrals such as MAC's NC line is okay, but covers over rather than match my skin if that makes any sense. I can't remember how I stumbled on to Meow Cosmetics, but I absolutely love how they have such a huge selection. Buying up a range of samples, I discovered the one that was perfect for me: Manx. It's a mix of peach (not pink or beige!) and yellow, which matched perfectly with my skin. I stick with the flawless line because I like having full coverage. The coverage is excellent; it covers up my dark spots wonderfully and blends beautifully with my skin color.

Some of the downers, though, is that it can be pretty expensive to get the concealer, the primer, the finishing powder, as well as the foundation. Also, it always takes a while for my order to ship, sometimes two weeks even with paying for priority mail delivery. The latter is a bit annoying, but that's only because I tend not to plan early enough so when I order, it's cause I really need it. :) And like with any mineral cosmetics line, the whole loose powder deal is a bit inconvenient (I used to be a compact powder gal) when wanting to do touch-ups to, say, go from work to a night out. Still, it's small stuff compared to it's perfect color matching and non-irritating ingredients. I'll take that over a little inconvenience any day!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

First and foremost, this foundation made my face itch, which is never a good sign. It does have decent coverage, but not "flawless" coverage. I'd say it's better than most MMU, but is far from full coverage. You still need to layer it on to cover trouble spots.

The main deterrent for me is the fact that they have SO MANY colors to choose from that it's ridiculous trying to find a match. Rather than making it easy and having cool tones, neutral tones, neutral with yellow, yellow, olive, and peach, etc., they make it so freaking complicated! And meanwhile, I've found so many matches for my skin with other MMU brands, but not a single match with meow cosmetics!

The other frustrating aspect is the fact that their "depths" don't match up. So, I placed an order with about 12 foundation samples in the "sleek" depth and some were way darker than others, while others were so much lighter. It also took 2 weeks to get my order and I'm in the U.S., so if I wanted to order more samples to try to figure out what my color is in the other "depths", it would take at least a month and a half of trying foundation shades only to be disappointed in the end.

Waste of money and the pictures on the site do not accurately depict colors, so my blush samples were a waste of money. The whole purchase was a waste of money, but we have to try to figure it out.

I've since found Lauress Ethereal and that's HG for me, for now. I've reviewed that separately.

on 2/27/2011 11:59:00 PM

I normally use Meow Cosmetics Pampered Puss in Inquisitive Korat but I was starting to run out and wanted to see how well the Flawless Feline provided coverage, so I ordered a sample of it to try out. No matter how well I prepped my skin (exfoliation, letting moisturizer sink in, using/not using primer, using VERY little, etc.) I could not get this to consistently work well. The coverage is really quite good/heavy, however the problem is that it either ends up looking cakey, accentuates ANY dry skin and migrates when I start to sweat. I knew I looked bad when my husband saw me outside and asked me if I was feeling okay because I looked so much paler than normal; although I ordered the same color as in Pampered Puss, the extra coverage made me look like a ghost. I really like Meow Cosmetics products, but this is a definite no-go for me.

on 10/27/2008 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

If you want heavy coverage here it is. If you want a natural look this ain't it. Very chalky especially in daylight and not at all flattering for pictures. I gave it an average rating because it is a line that has other options that are good bargains and they do offer a wide selection of colors for women of every shade.

on 9/17/2008 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am 29 years old South East Asian Girl. I'm considering my self having a golden medium skin. In EM, I using Olive Golden Medium. I'm not sure about my NC in MAC, but probably about NC 35. I only tried Korat Frisky and Naughty since it was meant for ethic girl. I think Korat Naughty is the best for me, although now I want to try something else... hehehe...

I ordered in Flawless Feline, so I can't compare to other coverage. But I like it. It covered my face well without feeling to heavy or something like that. I didn't use concealer, so there are still some dark spot left uncovered in my face. But I'll try again after my concealer sample arrive.

on 8/5/2008 12:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've sampled this line consistently now for a solid year. My goal was two-fold.
1.To find a compatible foundation color match
2.To find a foundation in this raved line that agreed with my skin type - didn't cause me to itch.
After 1 year of sampling I've come to two conclusions.
1.This company has great products- I love their bronzers and several blushes - but
2.This company simply doesn't have a foundation that will work for me. I have bags and bags of Meow foundation samples in several color families as well as in all 3 formulas that I simply cannot use.

I have been using the Flawless Feline foundation for a few months now, and am very pleased. They have a great selection of colors and I found a match quite easily. The coverage is great too. I have large pores and scarring and it really does a great job covering them up. I do tend to get a little shiney during the day, but it is very minimal compared to the shine I experienced with another mmu brand. The color also tends to stay the same on me throughout the day which is a GREAT thing.

The packaging is basic, but honestly does it really matter? It doesn't leak and it feels quite sturdy.

For now, this is my favorite mmu foundation.