Denman Grooming Brush

4.8

on 8/23/2013 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I was first introduced to quality brushes with the Mason Pearson years ago which I have always loved. while looking for a less expensive alternative, I found the Denman brand, also produced in England. Years later, I own nearly all of them and there is nothing like it. They are inexpensive (under $20), last a VERY long time, and make such a difference in protecting your hair and promoting shine, softness, and detangling. Wonderful scalp reach, detangling without breakage, softness/shine. My favorite combs are stlll Cricket and the Conair Shower Detangler though. :)

EDIT...Update :
Denman D81 Grooming brush Review :
I absolutely loved this brush. Brushing my hair isnt a painful task anymore !!! yayy ! I've been using plastic hair brush my entire life so you can imgaine how this has taken me by surprise.

Also this made my hair a lot more healthy, less frizzy over the days. It distributes natural oils of the hair root to tip - so my hair looks a lot more healthy

This is a mixed nylon-boar bristle brush. The nylon bristle helps penetrate the hair, while the boar bristles tame my hair. I am told this is the best brush if you have thick, coarse hair. Boar bristles alone cant penetrate well if you have thick hair.

It is great for heat styling. I kinda run my little test- One side I blowdryed using my nylon bristle round brush and the opposite side I blow dryed using denman brush.

On the side I used nylon bristle one - good volume, a bit frizzy, a bit coarser to touch. Looked dry too.

On the side I used my denman - no volume (not a round brush,so), smooth to touch and super sleek !!

I am falling in love with all of these brushes :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I own one denman and I put an order for other one , I wanted to review both of these at once but I cant contain my excitement lol. I am soo impressed by the one I used so far.

The denman grooming brush that I used was :

Denman D91 Dressing Out Brush :
I am looking for a good quality teasing brush and we dont have sallys beauty supply in India so I was looking for boar bristle teasing brush. When I found this at local store it seemed identical- it essentially had the same design - three rows but 'Nylon' bristles. I couldn't seemed find a boar bristle brush so I ended up getting this. Plus it looked pretty in the purple color. So i got this for $4.99.

For Teasing - excellent,period. I mean I used to tease with my ordinary rat tail comb and I lose volume after 1 hour but with this one , the volume stayed out the entire evening.

For Taming Baby hair and flyaways - This part of it just blew me away. I have a lot of baby hairs - a lot of them really. I used the hairspray + toothbrush thing but that just felt icky and my scalp became oily very soon :(
This brush is awesome for taming the flyaways. I didnt even need hairspray. I just smooth out my baby hairs with this brush and they stay put. Without hairspray, it helps taming my baby hair for like a couple of hours. I think it would probably hold much longer if I used a hair spray.

I am so impressed with the quality that I ordered another brush from the same lime . Denman D81. I'll post a review as soon as it arrives.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

WOW! My first experience with a boar bristle brush and I am not looking back!!!!!!!! :) $20 seemed like a lot but it was the best purchase ever! Can't believe I wasted so many years tearing my hair out!!!!

on 10/7/2012 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I bought the Denman with 100% natural boar's bristle. I love this brush. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. It feels great on my scalp and brings the natural oils to the ends of my hair. I have a round 100% boar's bristle for styling, and these brushes have made such a difference that I won't use anything else.

My hair is long, fine, thick & wavy. I understand it doesn't work as well for coarse hair.

on 6/2/2012 11:46:00 PM

so i'm a hairstylist that LOVES his tools and gadgets. seriously, i want to try everything! i'm also a stylist that believes in only using the best tools. best DOES not mean the most expensive.

after cosmetology school, i moved on to a big fancy salon apprenticeship, and they required us to buy a $200 blow dryer and a bunch of different round brushes which were ~$40 a piece, then finally, a Mason Pearson Brush, which if you know about them they are $170 ...

we also sold all these brushes and tools, and the idea behind it was that the clients need to know how expensive these items are and they will equate them with being the best. also, they can buy them so they can *think* they could get a blowout/style as good as when we did them.

bottom line, you can do anything with any kind of brush if you know what you're doing. that being said, i love the Denman Grooming Brush. i've used many, many smoothing type brushes that look like it from the Mason Pearson to $60 variants (there's a Japanese brand called Y.S. Park known for having THE best tools in the industry) to the Sonia Kashuk and the Denman Grooming brush works just as good if not better than others. actually, better than all of the ones i just listed.

i had a Mason Pearson and my biggest gripe was that you couldn't use it to blow out hair straight, bc the brush wasn't resistant to the heat of my blow dryer. it basically melted into this sad warped piece of crap ... enter the Denman Grooming Brush. not only can the Denman withstand the heat, but it also has more boar bristles surrounding the nylon pins, thus giving you more smoothing ability. the more bristles the hair has to go through, the more stretch you can get out of the hair thus getting a smoother, frizzless blowout. the other thing is that the nylon pins on my Denman are a bit longer so you get better "grip" as you're brushing.

that being said, get this ... my Denman costs me less than $20 on folica.com

i've gone through 2 Denmans in maybe 5 years as a hairstylist. i killed my Mason Pearson in the first 5 months. let's do a cost analysis here ...

so there you go, a hairstylists view of the Denman Grooming Brush. continued >>

on 2/27/2012 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair gets tangled easily because I am trying to grow it out. It is the longest it has ever been! My Rusk paddle brush was just pulling out my hair and the knots and I ended up losing more hair than I was growing it. I heard that boar bristle hair brushes are the best for hair and the ones with nylons quills are the best for my hair type (thick, wavy and frizzy). I was trying to debate on whether to fork out $200 for a Mason Pearson or $20 for a Denman. I ended up picking the Denman and figured if I liked it enough, I could get a Mason Pearson later on. This brush was only $20 at Peninsula Beauty. The only size they had was the medium which is good for my hair but I think the large size would have had a bigger handle, which is what I originally wanted. This brush is great! It made my hair very static-y at first but now it seems to have gotten used to it. It detangles my hair very easily and I feel like I can actually groom my hair now. This Denman brush is only for grooming and not really styling but I don't really style my hair anyways so it works for me. The boar bristles are supposed to help distribute the natural oils in your hair to the ends and help promote shine. I have noticed my hair does seem to look healthier but I really just love how easily this brush glides through my hair especially when it's tangled! A very good and cheaper alternative for a Mason Pearson!

Amazing! Love this brush. I have fine thin hair which gets very messy. I'd been using all kinds of products to achieve sleek glossy hair but this brush has literally done more than all the others things combined. After I brush my hair it feels so smooth and looks shiny. Compared to a Mason Pearson brush, this is a steal and isn't much more expensive than other brushes. I would definitely recommend that people spend a little bit more and buy this brush!

on 7/19/2011 10:57:00 AM

I got this hoping to dupe the $150 Mason Pearson, and while this is also not super cheap at $19 or so, it's certainly more in my price range.

I have long, fine hair, and lots of it, and while it's straight it has a tendency to wave a little and get VERY frizzy, especially in the summer. This brush does what countless anti-frizz serums have failed to do for me, and that is to take all that frizz down. I haven't been using it for long enough to say whether the natural bristles take the oil through, making the scalp less oily and the ends more moisturized, as is the claim, but I really like the effect it has on my hair. I don't own a straightener but the results are similar to when I've had it straightened.

I would imagine that if your hair is super curly and thick the brush wouldn't be able to get through it (the bristles are short and not as rigid as the plastic in a paddle brush), but for any other hair type I'd give it a try. :)

on 9/17/2010 10:22:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

ok. i don't even know where to begin b/c i'm overwhelmed with how great this brush styles my hair. i took a chance and purchased (although a bit pricey) due to the rave reviews, and it smooths my hair like a dream. the boar bristles seem to be perfect for getting down to my scalp and really giving me a massage while detangling. i couldn't ask for more and would buy again despite the price tag.

on 9/11/2010 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I own the D3 brush and it makes my 3c/4a curls clump like nothing else I've ever tried. I use it when I'm wearing wash and gos, slick ponytails, or while setting it in a braid-out. Results in some shrinkage but eliminates frizz. A good find and the only brush I will use on my hair now.

Popular Hair Styling Tools