Artdeco Eyeshadow - General Review

Artdeco Eyeshadow - General Review

4.1

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have just realized that HSN is selling ARTDECO products (woo-hoo!) so I figured it might be a good idea to do a review. I have 5 colors in the refill cases. (Which are basically just black cases with clear slide-out covers....the case can be purchased on HSN as well.) I own #44 - pearly white-gold; 218 - shimmery taupe; 233 - shimmery bronze; 211 - shimmery beige; 90 - shimmery medium dark purple with hints of mauve.

Yes, they appear fairly small in size, but keep in mind they weigh in at 0.03oz net weight, and MAC weighs in at 0.04, so not as little product as you think. Also keep in mind the cost of one of these babies is $6-$7 compared to MAC's $10 for the refills. So I think you come out pretty even here.

As for the quality, I have no complaints about the colors I own. The payoff is consistently good, and the staying power is on par with MAC or UD (with UD primer potion underneath as always.)

I used to have to swap with MUAers in Europe to get my hands on these, so I am excited that you can finally get them easily in the U.S. and I'm looking forward to trying new colors!

*edit* Just noticed the ones sold on HSN are actually 0.02 oz, but mine are all 0.03. Interesting, and worth noting.

on 3/6/2010 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

The four lippies are the grade of the eyeshadows in general. Further in the review, Ill grade each shade separately (the grade will reflect their blendability, pigmentation and simply how I like the colour).
These were the first good eyeshadows that I bought. Ive heard a lot about their quality and the array of shades is great (I think there are over 50 shades), but I usually stick to neutrals. These eyeshadows are in fact refills. Each eyeshadow comes in its own pan, with transparent cover with the shade number written on it. On the bottom of the pan is a magnet which is used to sticking (attaching) the eyeshadow into a box. You dont need to buy a palette; basically you could put the eyeshadows into any metal box. The boxes (or palettes, as I like to call them) can be bought separately. There are palettes for two eyeshadows, three eyeshadows, four eyeshadows and eight eyeshadows. The palettes are usually black, with Art Deco signature sign, but you can find palettes with decorative top cover (usually 3 pans palette) which are released with every collection and are LE. I must also mention that the camouflage and blush pans are the size of 2 eyeshadow pans. Every palette has the separate part for the brush (spoonge tip applicator), but the applicators must be bought separately.
The eyeshadows have wonderful, silky texture. Lighter shades are not as pigmented as dark shades. Most of the eyeshadows have pearly finish with some shimmer, although there are some matte and some glittery eyeshadows (I dont recommend these, because you would end up with glitter all over your face, and their texture is not nearly as nice). Most of the eyeshadows I own blends well. They have pretty good staying power, especially if used with Art Deco eyeshadow base. The price of these eyeshadows is in a medium range here they cost around $6-7 for a pan. I own these shades: 218, 299, 98, 208, 05, 92, 284 and 93.
218 a medium to dark taupe brown. It has good color payoff. (4/5)
299 a peachy pink colour, with a considerably good colour payoff, considering the fact that this is a very light shade. (5/5)
98 a light greyish-purple shade. it is not very pigmented, but still has a decent colour payoff. Blends easily. (5/5)
208 a medium to dark bronzey brown. It is my favourite colour, has good pigmentation (it is a bit darker than it seems on the swatch picture). Blends easily. (5/5) 05 a light grey, medium pigmentation. Blends easily. It looks especialy good with the shade 93 (4/5)
92 very dark purple (in the pan), which on the skin turns out as a very dark brown with purple sheen. Very pigmented, but very difficult to blend and it can simply look dirty and muddy if it is applied with a light hand (other shades look good when applied lightly). (3/5)
284 light lavender. I dont know what was I thinking when purchasing these shade as it completely clashes with my skin tone. The pigmentation is pretty strong. (3/5)
93 very light pink; it is barely visible on the skin. (2/5)
When I repurchase anothes shade, I will update the review. All in all, I find these eyeshadows are pretty good and worth the money.

on 7/1/2009 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I just purchased my first Artdeco eyeshadow and Im in love already. I bought # 34, which is a golden shimmery brown. I bought the Beauty Box Quattro to store it in, which can fit up to four eyeshadows or one eyeshadow and one blush and I ended up getting the # 11 blush to go with it. I have already become a huge fan of the eyeshadows and absolutely cannot wait until my next purchase. I also use the Artdeco eyeshadow base which makes all my eyeshadows, no matter what the brand, stay on until its washed off ;)

on 8/2/2009 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Artdeco is my favorite med-to-low end brand. If I don't want to splurge on a high end product, Artdeco is always the first brand I turn to. Their star products are the eyeshadows, the eyeshadow base (which many find comparable or even superior to UDPP and Too Faced SI), All in One mascara and the Glossy Lip Care, which is almost identical to MAC's Slimshines.
The eyeshadows are always sold individually and come in small rectangular pans, which are magnetized and are meant to be inserted into Artdeco's palettes. They call this ''Systeme Mosaique'' (similar to Bobbi Brown's customized palettes) and the palettes can also be used for blush, concealer or any combination of the three. The palettes themselves are cute and sleek and well made, but aren't exactly cheap considering you're basically buying a piece of plastic (about 7-15 EUR, depending on size) . They are convenient, but aren't necessary. Actually, you can use any metal case you happen to have (such as a cigarette or pencil case). The magnet is strong enough to hold the pans and they won't fall out.
I currently have about 10 of these and two palettes, a small duo for travel and a large one which can house up to 8 eyeshadow pans or a blush and 5 eyeshadows. (The blush takes up the space of three e/s pans, and the concealer two.)
The eyeshadows are very smooth, silky, blendable and quite pigmented, although some are more pigmented than others. The colour selection is quite large, but doesn't feature many unusual shades. Since I'm mostly into neutrals, I've always been able to find what I need, but I do find some shades a bit dull and/or flat. Artdeco makes 4 types of shadows - pearl (that's actually satin), matte, duochrome and glamour (glittery). I like the pearls and mattes, but the other two tend to be gritty and chunky, and don't blend as well. Still, for that price (4-5 EUR per pan) you can't really go wrong. They stay on and don't crease too much on me, but then I have dry lids. If worn with the base, they'll stay on pretty much all day.
Overall, Artdeco eyeshadows are far superior in quality and pigmentation to any other lower-end brand I've tried. I really appreciate that they offer quality products at reasonable prices - I can't always splurge on, say, Chanel duos, but still want a decent product. Artdeco's stuff fits the bill perfectly.

I got three of these. An orange one, a light blue one and a green one. The colors and finishes were all very pretty but these colors simply. won't. stay. They crease like mad and flat-out disappear on me, even when applied on top of a cream shadow like MAC's Paint Pots (I use "Painterly"). Cute idea, cute colors, meh quality :\

I have five of these, #36 wich is a deep golden brown, #02 which is a light steel grey, #04 which is a darker slate grey, #249 which is a very light, fresh green and #262 which is a beautiful blue green color (but sadly clashes with my own eye color).
I love these eye shadows, they are very cheap when you look at the quality, and you can buy cases to put them in as well, very original and unlike any other brand!

on 11/18/2006 5:39:00 AM

these eyeshadows come in single pan refils so they're small and tiny and easily misplaced, but they're magnetised so you just need to buy yourself the palette - and they all fit in nicely. the magnets are pretty strong, so you can turn the palette upside down and it wont fall out.

these i think are available generally in europe only - but they're really reasonably priced (ie. cheap) and the quality is pretty good. they're soft and nicely pigmented and have rather good lasting power. continued >>

I am a huge fan of these eye shadows.
At the moment, I own four of them.
I like them a lot out of following reasons: there are many colors to chose from, the color pay off is excellent, they are not expensive - but I don't like the package.
I recommend you to buy their empty palettes and put the eye shadows in there - these eye shadows are breaking quite easily.
My personal favorite is 262 - for me it's the most beautiful turquoise color ever!