L'Oreal HIP Flawless Liquid Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

L'Oreal HIP Flawless Liquid Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

3.6

Ingredients Water Isododecane Cyclopentasiloxane Glycerin Cyclohexasiloxane PEG-10 Dimethicone Poly(methyl Methacrylate) Butylene Glycol Dimethicone Isoeicosane Disteardimonium Hectorite Cetyl Peg/PPG-10/ 1 Dimethicone Sodium Chloride C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphates POLYGLYCERYL-4 Isostearate Hexyl Laureate Isostearyl Neopentanoate Diazolidinylurea Methyl Paraben Propyl Paraben Vitamin E Panthenol Aluminum Oxide Iron Oxide Mica Titanium Dioxide

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use shade #802 "Sand." It is a very light, cool, beige that - wonder of wonders - is not pink!

I use it to tone down the rosiness of Age Rewind, whose "coolest" shades are still a bit pink for my skin, and if it only had that Age Rewind luminescence or light refraction or whatever it is that causes one's age to rewind, I would gleefully use undiluted Sand most of the year.

The formula I got says it is oil free, and I have had no problems with "unsightly blemishes," on the contrary, I think that its oil-free-hood is a good way to "cut" or balance out the moisturizing nature of Age Rewind, which as an oily skin owner, I don't really need.

It was only on here that I learned that the HIP line is supposed to be targeted toward we ladies of flava, I thought it was targeted toward younger people, and was just about having more pigment in the products, and looking over their color range, it seems to me there is something for just about everybody there, with the possible exception of the rose-dipped-in-milk (with props to Kate Douglas Wiggin) and the Nicole Kidman-Alexis Bledel-grade alabaster factions, but everybody else should be pretty well covered.

And I mean that literally, too, because the product does provide pretty good coverage, much better than I expected for something that says "oil-free" and whose ads appear strongly skewed toward consumers young enough to be my um, younger sisters.

I do agree with other reviewers that the packaging sucks. I invariably get more out than I would need if I had three faces. Or one really giant one.

Thanks to JustMeas for the heads up, I do hope she is wrong though and that they will not discontinue this stuff, it is a staple of my daily beauty regimen, and just in case, I am going to grab all the Sand off the CVS shelf on Monday and hoard the stuff!

on 4/2/2008 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The represented colors here look great, and will compliment a very diverse array of lovely ethnic skin tones, but be careful because the colors tend to dry a shade or two darker than what is seen through the bottle. I bought SAND and, although it's a gorgeous color, it dried to a deep brown shade of sorts and continued to darken later into the day; it didn't retain it's original creamy yellow beige color. Very disappointing.

It's quite similar to a tinted moisturizer, but with more coverage. Thanks to it's iridescent properties, it looks fresh and natural and "glowy" on the skin (for at least an hour). Nevertheless, this foundation oxidizes quickly, gets greasy after awhile, and turns a bit muddy on the skin and doesn't look "just applied" as the day goes by. It is also not transfer-resistant and will rub off on clothes easily.

Had this formula been more matte and hadn't oxidized so rapidly, then it would be worth re-purchasing.

I believe it's been discontinued. Hopefully, L'Oreal is reformulating this line and making it more effective. It would be a shame if they canned the foundations for this line because the initial colors are gorgeous and rival shades made by MAC.

on 1/31/2008 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

loooove this stuff...i use terra....it covers and blends in perfectly...at first i thought it was too red but no....and the bottle lasts forevever:)

on 12/31/2007 5:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

I have a dark complexion and always find that foundations are either too orange or too pale/ashy. I started using HIP Liquid in Earthen 826, someone say LOVE... I'd trade my hubby for a lot of this magic potion! :p)) Just kidding. I have very oily skin and the foundation does hold up well for hours on end. I do blot with oil-absorbing tissues and reapply a pressed powder, it's great make-up, but not a miracle. I'd recommend it to any woman of color who's had a hard time finding a foundation to match her complexion. I recently tried the shadows and they're freakin awesome too, I'll be picking up a few more colors soon. I read the good reviews on the eyeshadows and blush and they sound great as well. Walgreens, here I come!!

on 1/19/2008 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

Me thinks this line is being discontinued because I found it (drum roll) at the .99 store.
The foundation went on smoothly and easily blended. Unfortunately, the color was a tad too dark for my skin tone. Also, not at all pleasing was the dispensing. When are execs going to get it that we prefer products for use on the body on a near daily basis that dispense in a more hygienic fashion?
My No Waste Policy forced me to pour this product into an old foundation bottle with a pump dispenser and mix with left over lighter tones from my revlon line.
Would not repurchase at retail price.

on 3/3/2008 9:55:00 AM

I read mixed reviews before purchasing this but I decided to give it a try. I am using 806 Honey and it's great. It blends smoothly, I don't break out from using it and as far as what people on here are saying that it looks orange/yellow or it 'melts' off your face, I don't notice that happen to me at all. The only thing I hate about it is that it comes in a bottle so it's hard for me to get the right amount I need without spilling or pouring too much on my hands. I got this bottle on clearance though so maybe they will be coming out with a new packaging of this product?

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Wow! Talk about a good product that is definitely a great alternative to MAC or to someother Highend foundation. I use this foundation with my shiseido primer and shiseido powdery foundation and it just gives me a great look.

I use only a little to make my face more even and more smooth.

Good color, good price and good feel.

I love this! My color is sand.

on 10/27/2007 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

This is my HG foundation! It blends easily and beautifully and matches my skintone perfectly. I currently use it in SAND w/yellow undertones. It makes my skin look flawless and radiant! However, you can't use much under your eyes near fine lines or else it will settle in them as the day wears on. But this is a minor gripe as i only need powder for undereye coverage. This is usually $13 at CVS, but I was lucky enough to get free coupons for them! I also like how it has sn SPF 15 to protect my skin. My only gripe is that I had a hard time looking for my right color, but once I found it, I have discovered that I love it! For reference, I am NC35, olive-tan complexion, black hair. I have included a pic of how it makes my skin look:
continued >>

on 9/25/2007 1:07:00 PM

I don't understand the negative reviews for this product. OK, I'm in my 50s and my skin isn't prone to breakouts so I haven't had the problems some other users have had. I tried this because I like the HIP pigments. The foundation goes on smoothly and it's a nice feel. It give me just enough coverage-- my skin is fairly good and I just need something to even out the color. I wear a lot of bright gold, orange and green and the honey shade looks great on my skin. I got unsolicited wows from my daughter's friend who is a MAC maven.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this product, and I wish I had tried it months ago. I would have saved lots of money.

I've been reading lots of mixed reviews on this product, and the thing is, every product will work differently on everyone, becuase everyone is different. Of course, you already know that, but I feel like many women are making misguided choices in finding makeup that is best suited to their skin.

Quite a few women have said that this product didnt work for them. From their descriptions of their own skin and the adverse effects it had on them, I can draw a few conclusions about the specificity of this product and how it works:
If you are Caucasian, or Asian, it is very unlikely this product will work well for you. Though L'oreal has added some new shades to the pallette, this product is geared more towards women of color, i.e. African Americans, Native Americans, Hispanic, Mediterranean, and Western Asian women. Also, due to the extremely emollient texture of the formula, it will likely aggravate oily skin and skin prone to breakouts. !!!ATTENTION!!! If you have sensitive skin, this product is most definitely NOT for you. This, unfortunately, is not makeup of a pure formula, so it does contain preservatives and chemicals that with affect those with sensitive skin. Also, the coverage offered by this product is quite light. Granted, it does cover quite well if you have slight imperfections. But if you have greater coverage needs, I would opt for a different product. The makeup is GREAT for dry skin, which I have, and it leaves a dewy, glowing finish. If you don't like the look of slight shine, then this product isnt for you. The color i wear, Tawny, is a bit dark for me, so i follow it with a light dusting of Revlon New Complexion Powder in Natural Tan. This product sets to a nice, natural finish on its own, and looks as fresh as I first put it on when I wash it off at night.

I'd have to conclude that this product is best for women of color with drier skin types with little to no skin imperfections, and minimal skin sensitivity. This product is great, if your skin type agrees with it.