The Body Shop White Musk Perfume Oil

The Body Shop White Musk Perfume Oil

4.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Parfum (Fragrance), Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde (Fragrance Ingredient), Hexyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxycitronellal (Fragrance Ingredient), Coumarin (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Isoeugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Evernia prunastri (Oakmoss Extract) (Natural Additive), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Amyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Cinnamate (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Farnesol (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient).

on 11/12/2013 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I'm wearing The Body Shop's White Musk oil now, and I've had my little clear round bottle for many years. I've always found it a little scratchy & sharp at first application (moreso than Jovan White Musk, which is softer start-to-finish). It's clean, fresh & crisp at first -- but after it has melded into skin, it becomes considerably softer & warmer -- very sensuous. It's strong -- you only need a small dab -- and it lasts and lasts.

I once smelled it on 2 other women, and I didn't recognize it as "white" musk on them -- I thought it was one of the more golden brown varieties, since it smelled warm -- but after asking, it turned out to be this one, and I was surprised.

I still remember those 2 whiffs -- one was from a young teen cashier at TJ Maxx -- and the other from a 20-something cashier at Lowes Foods. Both times, as I approached their registers, their wafts were pretty strong -- I could smell their musks from a couple feet away, as I approached -- they had a little scent cloud around them. But they both smelled *delicious* -- obviously wearing some sort of musk, but I would have guessed Coty Wild, Jovan, or something else on the ambery side, colored brown, since they smelled so warm and sensuous.

So I asked -- and they each said Body Shop White Musk -- and I was surprised in both cases to find out their musk was "white". It didn't smell crisp, sharp, or floral on them at all -- rather it was very smooth, warm, sensuous, cloudlike, and lovely. Because of its great strength & longevity, The Body Shop's White Musk oil is an excellent value, especially when they have BOGO sales on their website. Lots and lots of bang for your buck, without taking up a lot of space. A good any-time, any-occasion scent.

Launched in 1981, here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Basil, Galbanum, Musk, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes - Jasmine, Lily, Musk, Rose
Base Notes - Amber, Oakmoss, Iris, Musk, Patchouli, Peach, Vanilla, Vetiver

ADDENDUM 11/17/13: I just bought a new 1oz tall purple bottle of the perfume oil (BOGO on their site), and I like it better than my roughly 10-yr-old round clear bottle. While I said above that it was scratchy & harsh at first -- this new bottle isn't -- it's exactly the same scent but smoother and a little sweeter start-to-finish. Which is great -- I like my new bottle better. The flip side is that it doesn't last as long -- it's not as strong & concentrated as my old bottle, so I have to reapply more frequently -- but I don't mind that, since I enjoy the scent better. It's not all lightness & freshness -- it does have some earthiness about it also.

on 8/15/2013 1:09:00 PM

I used to wear this perfume oil in college all the time then it sort of slipped away from me. A few years ago I smelled it on someone passing by and realized how much I missed this scent. It is such a clean, refreshing, unique scent, but it is something that you can wear everyday and it is pretty versatile. It is musky and woodsy, and it is also a combination of sexy and sweet. Very good for wearing almost anywhere, at work, on a date, out with friends, at the gym, out shopping, etc. The price point is great and because it is an oil, it lasts a long time (unless you spill the bottle :-) ).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After slowly becoming a lover of musks, I knew I had to purchase this. And at $16, it was not really something I would worry about if I hated (I know my mom would take it!). Anyway, I tried it on in the store and didn't think much of it. It was really powdery and had a strong edge to it. I figured I would browse the store while I waited for it to calm down. I'm glad I did! Once you give it time to meld with your skin, it becomes a soft and clean scent that is just lovely. It's in no way over-the-top, and I feel like this would be the perfect scent to wear when you don't want your perfume to enter the room before you do.

Also, I love the way they package the oil (I buy the one in the small white bottle). There is a rubber-like flat stick that is attached to the lid that is absolutely perfect for applying the oil. It makes it much easier than having to tip the bottle over and risk spilling it!

Love.

on 4/16/2013 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

warm, sensual and sexy....I mix it with D&G Light Blue and OMG

on 10/13/2012 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This isn't as good as a remember. It use to really meld with my body leaving a fresh clean smell. This new formulation is more arid and harsh smelling. Unfortunately, I bought two bottles without testing it first. I've been able to save this though by mixing it with a little of The Body Shop Vanilla EDT. However, I probably wouldn't repurchase.

Do we really need another White Musk review? Probably not but you are getting one anyway. I detested this in my youth, probably because everyone wore either White Musk, Dewberry or Fuzzy Peach and every teenage disco reeked of a fruity musky melange mixed with various other hormonal teenage smells *shudder*. I, of course was difficult and a budding perfumista and wouldn't have been caught dead wearing something so 'common'.

Anyhoo, roll forward twenty years and I am given a mini White Musk set as a gift and low and behold I fall in love with the shower gel. I love the texture, the sudsiness and the subtle scent it leaves on my skin.

This experience led me to swapping for the perfume oil. While pleasant, it just does not capture my fancy quite as much as the shower gel. It has definitely been reformulated in the intervening decades (it no longer possesses the ability to suck all oxygen from the air within a six foot radius) and I believe that is a good thing. It just smells safe and tedious and I really should have trusted my initial juvenile impression.

Oh and what did I wear to the teenage discos? Paloma Picasso of course!!!

Eyes: Violet

I sought out this perfume based on all the glorious reviews here. I had always loved natural oil scents because they contain fewer chemicals. I am migraine prone so this was the choice for me. I was in love with Alyssa Ashley's White musk oil and I was hoping this would be a replacement. Sadly this fragrance smells heavy and offensive to me. It's nothing like the light white musk oil from alyssa ashley. I had to wipe and wash the sample off my wrist simply because the scent was not tolerable. This scent is not soft feminine at all. It's sharp acrid and almost pungent in heaviness. best for mature demographic or those not sensitive to strong smell. Here is how the manufacturer described this fragrant oil:

It opens with notes of ylang-ylang, galbanum and basil, followed by the heart of jasmine, rose, musk and lily,and settling at the base dominated by musk along with jasmine, rose, iris, amber, patchouli, vetiver, peach, oakmoss and vanilla

those that do not like strong musky ambery may want to stay away from this. I get migraines from amber fragrant.

on 1/27/2012 10:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Love this scent! So soft and not overpowering. And it the scent lasts for a long time. I only dab a bit in the morning and it's there all day. I bought the largest bottle and it seems like it'll last me a very long time so it's a great deal. :D Definite repurchase.

on 11/28/2011 12:43:00 PM

I adore this perfume oil. It's so much softer than the edt that makes me cough and smells too much like alcohol. This is a sexy, soft skin scent that everyone I know finds appealing. A little 15 ml bottle I've had for about 5 yeas is still going strong and you only need a tiny amount to make you smell divine. I love this and I would definately be buying again and again and again. I'm just very dissappointed that Body Shop decided to discontinue ALL perfume oils. They discontinued the lovely old vanilla perfume oil that I wore in my early teens and now the white musk that I've been wearing for 5 years. Makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the people at The Body Shop. Don't they want customers? Don't they want to make money? Then why are you discontinuing your best products? Perfume oils were the only reason that kept me going back to them, but no more.

on 1/17/2012 3:44:00 PM

Thank you to MUA folks who reviewed the Serge Lutens Clair de Musc and compared it to this. I liked the Serge Lutens frag a lot, but as I noted in my review of it, I didn't really think it was unique enough to warrant the high price tag. I snagged a bottle of this new 1oz bottle off ebay for 20$, and it's great. The staying power is AMAZING, you need so little of it and it stays all day, unlike the serge lutens perfume that faded quick even after dowsing myself in it. I guess it's discontinued or being discontinued, so I will probably stock up on another bottle soon. I expect it to last a very long time though. I bought some decanting supplies and will transfer some of this to one of the roller ball bottles so I can keep it in my purse. Yay.

Popular Fragrances