Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Can I start by calling this BAE :) Such a good product and the fragrance is perfect for when it's time to go out at night. I LOVE this fragrance!

I clearly remember smelling this perfume when I was in my early 20s. Back then I thought, "what the heck is so great about it that makes it so pricey". I guess complex perfume is also an acquired taste.

There are different versions of the Chanel No.5 perfume, and this review is specifically about the classic EAU DE PARFUM version. I smelled all versions in the shop. Only this one captured me.

It's hard to put my hands on what exactly this perfume smells like. By that I mean, it hard for one to describe what are the ingredients inside this perfume. The whole smell forms one compound, which might have something to do with one of the main ingredients--aldehydes--being completely synthetic.

The smell to me is feminine, classic, elegant and clean at the same time. To some people, it might be too "old school" (Smell is a highly individualistic thing. It really depends on what you like.). The smell of this perfume reminds me of a lady, not just someone with a mild mannerism, but also someone with independent thoughts and have had adventurous endeavors in her life. (Think about Madame Coco Chanel duh.)

What I like about the smell the most is that it's not too sharp or overpowering. We've all encountered people who would walk into an elevator and by the time all people get out of the elevator, everyone takes away a bit of that person's perfume. To me, that is too intrusive. This perfume does not do that. It's tasteful and unobtrusive.

Regarding longevity, I've found that it stays longer on fabric than on my skin. So I always spray once or twice on my clothes every morning. By the end of the day, it will fade to something more subtle.

I bought the perfume in the travel-friendly packaging. It comes with a beautiful sleek bottle with a twist-up cap, which already houses 20ml of the product. The set also comes with another two 20ml refills. So in total you will get 60ml of the product and a bottle. I think I like this convenient and slightly modern packaging better than the classic glass bottle.

Sorry for writing a pretty disorganized review. I realized that a review of a perfume was never going to be as helpful as a review of a makeup product, because all I can do is throwing subjective descriptions of the smell...OK I just wanted to rave about this perfume I guess. If you are looking for something classic, lady-like and elegant, give this a sniff. You might be mesmerized like I was.

on 2/7/2016 8:21:00 PM

Am I the only one who likes this after the re-formulation? I used to really dislike this, thought it smelled too heavy and old school in the tropical climate where I live in. Re-visited this recently when I was shopping for perfumes and I was blown over by it. I tried the EDP version and the smell lasted whole day. I love smelling like I just stepped out from a shower. It smells fresh and yet sensual. My husband love this as well.

For reference, I like perfumes such as Issey Miyake, Calvin Klein's Escape, Estee's Pleasures, Coco Mademoiselle, Penhaligon's Vara and Empress.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I just purchased the Chanel No.5 body oil and I am in loooove!! I'm sad that it's limited edition thou because I would love to be able to repurchase when I run out of this bottle. Here is my video that includes this lovely product:

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this at first, now it's a bit too synthetic for my liking :( it's got a powdery smell that I got over pretty quickly

on 5/12/2016 11:31:00 AM

Purchased a 3.4 oz EDP for myself, as I turned 56 today - - splurge, yes, but best ever. It's a timeless classic with a fragrance that lingers all day. The dry down is phenomenol. I only sprayed on 2 different pulse points and wow, this bottle will last a long time! No wonder it's all Marilyn Monroe wore to bed!

on 1/29/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

It is impossible to not give this perfume a five star rating, and I also think it's impossible to be objective about it, given its legendary status. When I turned 26, I asked my father for a bottle of this as a birthday present, and he got me a whopping 100ml bottle of the EDP (I love my dad). I figured it was time - time to embrace myself as a woman and declare it boldly - I am no shrinking violet! What I like about the EDP is that it is not as aldehydic as the other formulations, even though I have actually grown to like aldehydes through appreciating this fragrance. But my absolute favourite part of this perfume is the heart notes of lush jasmine and rose that just remind me of liquid gold, heavy and substantial and ultrafeminine. I actually think this is best worn with jeans and a t-shirt, upending the conventions of it being a dressed up perfume, and with a bit of a rock and roll attitude. I definitely reach for it more in the winter when heavier scents are comforting, and also when I need a boost of confidence. When I need to feel like I am a real woman- with a woman's scent.

I have definitely gotten compliments on this perfume, and I love the scent of it on sheets or warm winter jumpers...

on 12/27/2015 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my absolute HG fragrance. There is nothing lovelier on the market. I tried this fragrance in my 20's and it didn't really appeal to me. I recently tried it again, now 40, and I want to kick myself for not trying it sooner. It epitomizes femininity and sophiatication. It is fresh aND clean. I have also tried the edt and eau premiere, but the eau de parfum is my absolute favorite, by far and works best with my body chemistry.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Smelling vintage No. 5 is like sniffing a fine wine to me. I'm not a fan of aldehydes and never have been, we don't get along too well, nor am I particularly fond of a perfume that is too heavy on the florals. But sniffing No. 5 is a whole new ballgame.
I was introduced to it as a child by my mother, and it wasn't my favorite. As a young adult, I was gifted it, and again, I just put it aside, not really appreciating it. I just have always leaned towards the oriental or gourmand side. I knew this was a hugely popular perfume and there had to be something to it, so why didn't I enjoy it?
A few years ago, a neighbor's mother passed away. She was in her 80's. One day, he handed me a carton of her perfumes, telling me he didn't know what to do with them. I took them, thanking him, not knowing what I would find in the box. After all, his mom was an older woman, so I knew there would be some interesting choices in there.
Lo and behold, there it was. Chanel No. 5, staring me in the face. Again. Daring me to pick it up and smell it. But this time, when I uncapped the Edt, something miraculous happened. The vintage inside that I swirled around was captivating. It had matured like a fine wine. It had such a heady aroma, I couldn't stop sniffing. This stuff smelled good.
The aldehydes have muted somewhat, allowing the civet to come to the forefront along with the vetiver. There's more earthiness to it that wraps around the florals too, but those florals will always be strong. There's also a muskiness that seems to overwrap the whole perfume. The woods come into play in the last phases along with a mild vanilla that surprises. It's strong with the real civet. And, you have to be a civet lover to understand the beauty of it.
It's not a perfume to be taken lightly, it's one to be revered and worn at the pulse points. It's not a body spray or a fragrance mist. Chanel No. 5 is a mature perfume that warrants a mature nose that appreciates it.
How does it compare to today's? If anyone has sampled the formulations of today, they know it is a far cry from the vintage. More like an empty room missing pieces of its furniture.
If you're not an aldehydes or floral fan, this one's not for you. Pass go, keep your $200 and buy something else. There are plenty of perfumes in our world to sample and enjoy. But most definitely, if you do want to try it, stick to the vintage.

What can I say, I've sampled this fragrance in different versions for years and the verdict is in. The vintage eau de cologne is the absolute best! I am totally seduced by this fragrance, It's 5 star for sure. This is what the hype was all about! It has been discontinued unfortunately. The modern No. 5 is a about a 3 star. I have an edp from 06 or 07 and in all honestly, I tried to like it and used it a few times and every time I end up not happy with the end result. I really don't care for it much in this formulation, it's too bitter and chemical and doesn't seem to warm up to my skin, this one doesn't work for me. They are all different scents in each one you know, No. 5. The edt and modern parfum are nice, but I need a vintage perfume because I know it will be marvelous and of course as much edc I can find. I will settle for a vintage edt to lol! For those who think the perfumes are too strong you may like the bath soaps and lotions, they are wonderful. The scent is not for everyone, Thank God!

Popular Fragrances