Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder

LM secret brightening powder / undercover duoLaura Mercier Secret Brightener #2

4.2

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Normally I stay away from loose powders because I am not a fan of cakey, matte skin. But having moved recently to a hot and humid climate I needed to add one to keep my foundation from sliding off.

Reference point: MAC NC 30-35, NARS Barcelona, Armani #7, tan and normal (occasionally slightly dry) skin. - I use the #2 powder.

I use this after my primer, foundation and concealer have been applied. I take my loose powder brush, something big and fluffy (NARS #1 or the Botan Kabuki) and dust a bit of the loose powder on my forehead, nose, and chin (areas that get shiny for me). Depending on what I'm doing that day, I may dust it all over my face. It does make my foundation last longer and I avoid the oily oxidizing t zone areas. However, while this is a luminous product I still have to use a light hand because it can get a like cakey looking. Honestly though, the difference between the days I skip the powder and the days I use it is pretty small. It's not a miracle face powder.

It's also AMAZING for setting under eye concealer! That's where this powder really shines for me. I love a bright under eye area. A heavy coverage concealer, while effectively covering circles tends to leave my under eye area looking cakey and matte. I use a concealer, a dab of YSL Touché Éclat for luminosity and brightening, then set it for longevity using a fluffy eyeshadow brush with the Laura Mercier powder. Ta Da! Beautiful, natural, bright under eyes. And the effect lasts all day.

In terms of packaging, loose powder has always been messy for me. It's not a purse friendly product.

Overall, I see this lasting a long time, and I may repurchase (although I want to try the NARS loose powder). I love this for setting my under eye concealer and like it for the rest of my face.

on 6/21/2013 10:15:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Does a good job of setting my under eye concealer without drying out my skin. The shimmer is subtle. Can't say it makes THAT much of a difference, but it does what it's supposed to. I apply it with a fluffy blending brush. I can't imagine ever running out but if I do, I will repurchase.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I like this, but it's definitely nothing spectacular. It really does give a noticeable brightening effect when I use it under my eyes, but I only notice it in the first minute after I put it on and after that I forget about it forever. I never notice my Bobbi Brown corrector creasing, so I suppose I can attribute that to using this product, but I can't be sure (maybe I'll try wearing it under one eye and the other without it and do a comparison at the end of the day). I also don't like that it stains my makeup brush a white color, although that's just a minor complaint because it washes out. All in all, this product is alright... expensive, but it does something that none of my other products will do (brighten) so I'll probably continue to buy it. I think this one jar will probably last FOREVER though since you need so little of it. Definitely give it a try though. :)

UPDATE 4/21 - I just wanted to update that I've now switched over completely to using Benefit's Powderflage instead of the Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. I find that the #1 thing I like better about the Powderflage is that it has less of a WHITE look after you put it on. Maybe that sounds weird, but what I mean is that it still lightens and brightens up the under eye area just as well as the Laura Mercier, but since the powder is pink (instead of white) it has more of a natural brightening effect and just doesn't have that white tone to it. I also think it doesn't settle into fine lines quite so much as the Laura Mercier powder. When I use the Powderflage, I see a noticeable difference every time and it's always pleasing. I will most likely swap the Secret Brightening Powder and I will definitely continue using the Powderflage instead.

UPDATE 12/21/13 - Still using the Powderflage regularly as part of my makeup routine and I like it much better than the Laura Mercier brightening powder. Would highly recommend the Benefit Powderflage for this type of product!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is one of my all time favorite makeup products. If you love under eye brightening then you will die over this.

Laura Mercier makes a partner product with this which is the secret under eye brightening pen.

The idea is that you use the pen first, which is clickable - which then disperses product onto a brush applicator. I will do a separate review on this, but basically I'm not the hugest fan. I hate those applicators, I think they eat product - but you can read my full review on that product elsewhere.

The brightening powder is unlike any other. If you LOVE the under eye brightening you see on the red carpet and in photo shoots, I gauruntee this is the product the MUA is using. It photographs beautifully and just looks amazing.

It's a loose powder, so tricky packaging. I'm not sure what it is about the packaging, but my lid never sits tight enough so I know I've lost product from that - also be careful about laying it on it's side, I definitely get fallout on the rest of my product. Saying this, the longevity of this product is AMAZING! I've easily had mine for a year and a half, use it about 2-3 times a week, and I still have so much left over. I predict I'll need to purchase a new one in maybe 6 more months. So 2 years lifespan on a product is amazing!! The price - whatever it is, I don't remember is totally worth it.

I recommend this product to all my friends and family - it's my secret weapon!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Amazing. It should make wrinkles look more prominent, but it doesn't! And what a dif in how long my concealer lasts on, at least three times as long. This is a gem, if you have serious problems with dark undereyes, invest in this.

on 9/26/2011 5:24:00 PM

I don't know how this works but it does. After concealing my mild dark circles, a light sweep of this under my eyes with the Laura Mercier mini-fan brush just brightens up the face. I use the #2 as I am a NC30/C4 light tan Asian gal. For the rest of my face (usually just T-zone) I dust with her Invisible Setting Powder or my MUFE HD Powder. But for under the eyes? I ONLY use this Brightening Powder. I am a believer; it really makes a difference and makes me look awake and vibrant!

on 7/6/2011 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Why o why can't they make a face powder like this? It brightens, neutralizes, sets whatever's underneath, without creasing, caking, drying and I have dry skin, alternating AHA with high % of Vitamin C. Of course I can dust this all over the face before or after mineral powder, over fdn to set, but the little container's product will run out very soon. I am sure its not much more to make than regular face powder, but since its meant for the eye area, they simply charge more & give less. That's why I am never never loyal to a particular brand.

on 7/6/2011 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have very clear skin so I rarely find myself wearing more than a tinted moisturizer. Anyways. I found that on those hot sweaty days my tinted moisturizer was starting to come off during the day due to just wear and tear and of course time! I bought this powder on a whim as I love the brand Laura Mercier and Thought id give it a try. It does not give any coverage nor colour, but it does something so much more amazing. when you put it on its kind of like a white powdery colour ( I use a MAC 224 to apply it, A fluffly crease blush) then i just kind of swipe over it with my blush and it almost melts into my skin. It litterally looks like you are applying a brand new flawless layer of skin when you put this on but it doesnt even have colour to it! but its basically like it does! i feel like this does so much for my skin and is defenitly a must have for anyone whos looking for a translucent powder!!!!!

on 4/16/2011 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a great product. When applied lightly under the eyes over concealer it prevents creasing and subtly but effectively brightens the whole undereye area. I use my MAC 225 brush or the EDM Eye Kabuki, swirl around in the residue of the lid and buff gently around the eye. It gives a beautifully fresh effect.

The packaging isn't great, once you peel the sticker back a bit the powder just spills out into the lid. I would recommend NOT removing the sticker, just peel it back the tinest bit and believe me, enough product will come out for you to use. You won't actually have to tip any powder out, whatever collects in the lid as a fine layer is more than enough. You just need a very tiny amount around your eye, this definitely does not need patted on.

Fairly expensive but totally worth it as I can't see me running out of this for at least a couple of years, even with daily use. Worth investing in, it makes a real difference.

on 12/22/2010 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't know if I don't get it or if this just don't suit me...? If I put it lightly over my face or cheekbones I look sparkling/glittery...and if i put it around my eyes/under eyes it does not hide more than a light concealer + shadow.... I don't know if I use it in the wrong way, but this is nothing special....

Beside all this I don't like glitter in my face cause it easely looks "too much" on acne-prone skin... I "light reflecting" concealer is something else, but this contains glitter/sparkle...

The price is also very high.

So until I really learn how to use this or if it suits me, i won't repurchase...