Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

Avon Timeless Spray Cologne

3.7

on 6/27/2012 1:55:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

The Timeless I am reviewing is from a vintage bottle. I bought a small cute Avon bottle at Goodwill, thinking I would dump the contents and use it to hold rosewater on my bathroom rack. But I tried a dab of it on my wrist first, and I thanked my lucky stars I hadn't poured away this treasure that only cost me 99 cents!

Chanel no. 19, my favorite scent, came out in 1972 and Timeless only a few years later IIRC. I expect chypres were in at the time due to no. 19, and the two scents definitely share a mossy, leathery kinship. Where No 19 tops the darker, leathery notes with white rose and crisp greens, Timeless goes in a richer more Oriental direction with amber, vanilla, resinous incense and warm musk.

My bottle of Timeless is clearly the worse for age, and no wonder because it's been exposed to light for who knows how many years. It has an obvious initial smell of staleness and damaged topnotes. But it's still worth wearing, because in 20 minutes the heart ad basenotes really take over and all its lovely complexity comes to the fore. Real oakmoss, yum.

on 5/3/2012 1:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Gorgeous, soft, classic and elegant. Shockingly affordable and long lasting. Distinctive but not loud. Timeless is a wonderful fragrance. It's easy to wear in the office because it's not too strong and it's got a wonderful classic feel to it. If you're considering this but not ready to go with a full bottle yet, Avon also has the Timeless fragrance in a body powder.

on 12/17/2011 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

A classic, leather-chypre, rather nice and warm in the old style. It's a bit masculine, but the warm leather is cozy and it's a wonderful almost skin scent once it dries down from the initial blasting onset of LOUD. This one actually does deserve to be timeless. Very nice. Definitely won't appeal to the fruityfloral crowd.

I've used this off and on for many years. I've started using again and am back in love. It is so soft and romantic. I enjoy powdery scents and this is one. Wish they still made the shower gel to go with. I do like the softener as well. This lasts on me all day with no problem. Bottle is easy to hold and is different from my others.

I like this, NOT love it. It is a mature scent, notice, I didn't say an old lady scent, that is powdery(A LOT, to me, anyway!), a bit strong and harsh in its opening. It is a warm, spicy, oriental-floral. I get a bit of an ambery incense, as well. It seems as if I hear a lot of, "All Avon perfumes smell alike." Well, NOT so with Timeless! It is different from others in Avon's lineup, as is Candid and Odyssey. I seem to prefer Avon's "oldies" to their newer offerings. From a catalog, it says it has notes of fresh greens, sheer florals, jasmine, patchouli, vetiver,
amber(ah, so it is in there!), oakmoss, musk. A unique offering from Avon. Prefer it on the drydown.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I like Timeless, I do...but only after it dries down and settles. When I first spray it I feel like I've been run down by a group of ladies on the way to Bingo! It's incredibly strong for the first several minutes...then once it dries down, it's lovely. It's a warm sensual smell that begs to be cuddled. Even my husband will snuggle up and take a deep sniff and say "Ooh you smell nice." And he never notices anything!

UPDATE: I find I grab for this more than just about anything on my vanity. Reason? Everytime I wear it, someone, somewhere says, "Ooh that's nice? Is that Shalimar?" So for under $10, I smell like $80...not bad. It must work well with my chemistry because I've never gotten a complaint and in my office, trust me, the ladies tell you if they don't like your fragrance! LOL! I gave it an extra lippie because I'm using it so often!

on 2/24/2011 11:32:00 PM

I just didn't like this scent, I found it musty, strong and it gave me a headache

on 2/22/2011 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I started wearing Timeless in high school and all through college. I always got compliments and one male friend of mine would request that I wear it if we were going to the same social function. For whatever reason, I moved on and have tried so many over the years. I recently stumbled across a brand new, in the box bottle at a thrift store for fifty cents and I've worn it everyday since. I get so many compliments everyday from both men and women. I forgot how much I like it. It's definitely one of my favs.

on 2/10/2011 6:02:00 PM

Revised March 2011: Timeless starts out very much like the heart of a classic chypre, with warm, mossy spices and florals, but then it soon fades into a slightly sweet oriental (or, more accurately, a "balsamic chypre", like vintage Miss Dior, but with cheaper ingredients and not as much complexity), with its slightly powdery, dry amber base. It's very pretty. I initially wrote quite a negative review for this but now it's growing on me quite a lot.

I have been wanting to re-write my review of this fragrance for a long time. I based my first review on a single test of this fragrance, and although my first impression was positive, now that I own the fragrance and have used it more...well, I just feel I have more to say about it.

I've been reading all other reviews for this perfume, I agree with the reviewers who say it's not for everyone, it's a "personal taste" fragrance. I can't list notes, as my nose simply lacks the training for that, but I do know this fragrance is classified as a chypre. I just recently became interested in chypre fragrances, so please excuse my lack of knowledge about them.

There are chypres and chypres. There is Aromatics Elixir, which is beautiful, but maybe a bit too "rich old lady driving her Mercedes" as my sister would say. AE is also very stong and potent, so, yeah, it's one of those fragrances that upsets people. Then there's Paloma Picasso, which is the fragrance equivalent to pointy black stilettos and sexy lingerie. Then there's Miss Dior, which is all pretty pearls and bows. Miss Dior is the type of chypre I like, pretty creamy florals and some mossy woods. Miss Dior is pure beauty, but I find the top notes are sometimes a bit to sharp for my chemistry.

Timeless reminds me of Miss Dior. Timeless is pretty, creamy florals and mossy woods. It also has a hint of spices and smoke, but nothing over the top.Timeless is lighter, softer and more mellow than Miss Dior. This is a very wearable, pretty chypre, for starters, like myself, or for anyone that likes their chypres on the floral side.

Timeless brings to my mind images of Catherine Deneuve back in the 60's, when she wore her pretty, pretty YSL dresses, black Roger Vivier shoes and wore her hair half up. This fragrance is that kind of pretty. Some may call it old fashioned. But I call it Timeless.

Popular Fragrances