Curology - Acne Treatment

4.2

fka PocketDerm

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I heard about this service from several blogs and decided to give it a try. I am 40 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for many years. I have been on BCP, which helped, but have recently stopped. I started having breakouts on the tops of my cheeks and forehead (which I never had before). I have tried over the counter products, but nothing was working. I had tried RAM in the past, but never was consistent with it. I have also used Clindamycin with good results, but did not want the $150 derm apt and $60 meds. After finding a code for free first month, I sent pictures (from my iphone) in for a derm to check out. She wrote back quickly and suggested a treatment of .018 tretinoin, 1%clindamycin, and 8% azalaic acid. I was skeptical since I had used tretinoin with a much higher percentage in the past, but she assured me the formula would work differently. I received it in about 4 days and began using each night. The breakouts were worse. They were able to be covered by makeup, and not as severe as most, but it was a lot to me. I contacted her one month into it, and she suggested a special soap and adding B6. I did, and still broke out more after the second month. The beginning of the third she suggested using every other night and added Spironolactone from the pharmacy (she called it in). Month four I am breaking out less, but still have a few spots on my cheeks. I will continue to use and see what long term benefits I receive. I pay $20 a month, which is less that I would pay with a prescription from a pharmacy. I know many people experience clearer skin quicker, but I have not. I am very pleased with the service from my PocketDerm derm, Nancy Satur, and would suggest anyone to give it a try (unless you can get better prices from your pharmacy and derm).

UPDATE: After several months and no improvement I went to see an in person derm. She told me that the 25mg spiro was not enough and that normally 100mg is prescribed for oilier acne prone skin. She also prescribed Minicycline, which caused debliltating dizziness then switched me to Bactrim 2x per day which stopped all side effects. She prescribed Epi Duo at night and after using this combo for 1 week my skin is mostly clear and I have not broken out during my cycle! I know that the antibiotics are NOT a long term "cure", so I am happy that the EpiDuo is working also. Unfortunately Pocket Derm did not work for my hormonal acne as I had hoped. My in person dermatologist did say it was a great formula though. She just added that I needed more spiro and an antibiotic to gain some ground on breakouts. Oh, I have hear some say that one needs a blood test for spiro--I did not. Maybe its my age (40).

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've had cystic acne since I was 18 or so. I'm 29 now and I've been using Curology for 3 months.

This is hands down the ONLY product I've ever used where my skin is completely clear. I get 1-2 small pimples per week vs 1-2 every day. I've tried it all aside from Accutane.

I almost didn't try this because of the "gimmicky" ads but I'm so so glad I did. I hate to use the term "holy Grail product" because everyone has different skin but I'll never not use this.

Hope this helps!

on 11/24/2017 12:33:00 AM

Wow. To begin, my main concerns (in order) is hyperpigmentation, closed comedones, and acne. Well, this stuff is magical. I was pretty skeptical at first because of all of those gimmicky-feeling ads on Youtube. But since the first bottle was the free besides the five dollars for shipping, I gave it a shot. I saw horrible reviews about how it made people break out and it wouldn't stop, so yeah, that was a little terrifying, but I really didn't care.. I was spending so much money on products that didn't work, so this was just another one to add to my list. Just to list a few, I tried The Ordinary (too gentle imo, tried Adv. Retinoid, does nothing; peeling solution, does nothing, basically everything felt like the equivalent of putting water on my face) I also tried Differin, which broke me out a little bit, nothing too crazy, but it did dry the HECK out of my face yet did not stop acne. Curology SIGNIFICANTLY reduced most of the dark spots on my face in 5 nights. In only 5 nights!!! It killed any active acne on my face and actually PREVENTS acne. I have minimal breakouts since, I think I got two little spots because of hormones, and compared to before, thats nothing. I will say it doesn't do much for the stubborn blackheads on my nose, but honestly I don't even care.. I AM shocked at the results. My prescription was 0.009% tretinoin, 1% clindamycin, and 9% azelaic acid. I read on here that they give the same prescription to everyone for the first time, which is obviously not true. Anyways, give it a try. It's only 5 dollars for the first bottle and you can cancel anytime.. if you've lost hope, this might just work for you!

on 9/25/2017 11:41:00 AM

Curology has been an absolute savior for my skin. For the first time in my life someone this week complimented me on my skin and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was the girl who struggled with problem skin from the age of 14 all the way to 32. After a rough encounter with a local dermatologist who only wanted to sell me prescriptions he could get a kickback on (and ignoring me when I asked for the generic versions my insurance would cover...), I thought I'd give Curology a try. I'm glad I did because it's affordable and the advice I receive when I reach out to my derm is almost always exactly spot on and helpful. I've emailed to get her opinion on products like face washes for my skin type, and any changes in my skin and why they might be occurring and always get a fast and well thought out response.

I went from waking up with redness and 6-7 new spots each day to occasionally waking up with a single whitehead a couple times a week in about 6 months. Not perfect, but I'm ecstatic! And I'm slowly bumping up the tretinoin right now and noticing that my skin looks more radiant - a huge plus.

Curology worked when nothing else did.
I am currently on month 5 of using this service and am so happy with results!
A lil history:
I had pretty darn clear skin all my life, with small hormonal breakouts (1-2 pimples/month)
I tried oil cleansing method (original, by using only oils to clean and wiping off with warm towel). OCM ruined my skin and I should have stopped sooner but kept believing I was purging. Stupid! By the 2nd month my face was covered in thousands of tiny little bumps and some cystic acne!
I tried gentle cleansing, then salicylic acid, then benzoyl peroxide (stuck with all for 45 days each). Nothing helped!
Couldn't afford a dermatologist so signed up for Curology. Best decision! The first few weeks I only felt a calming in my skin but still covered in breakouts.
By day 40 I could see results.
By day 70 most of the bumps were gone.
I am still left with remaining hyperpigmention it's slowly starting to fade :)
Would definitely recommend! The derms that work there are helpful.
My first scipt was: 4% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 4% Niacinamide.
100 days in I changed to: 8% Azelaic Acid, 1% Clindamycin and 0.25% Zinc Pyrithione.

Curology is by far the best Acne Treatment product that I've come across in about 3/4 years. I never really had acne throughout highschool and when I turned 19 or 20 I got the worst acne on my left cheek and have been left with some awful scars and skin pigmentation from it. Up until about a few months ago I was still struggling with it, trying to get rid of the scars but still getting pimples there and on my forehead. I've also been struggling with acne on my back/chest since I was about 13! In all my years searching for skin care products this company has really helped me out. I can go out in public without makeup on! It's just one little bottle for $24 a month (and you can choose how often it's shipped!) I don't go through one bottle that quickly so I like to push it back. You get to communicate with a well educated doctor about your skin type, where you get acne, how long you've had acne, what birth control you're on, what medications you've taken for acne, etc. Then the doctor gives you a full low down on what you're going to do to change your skin care routine and it's so simple! Gentle face cleanser, and the Curology treatment at night. And when I had flare ups and explained the type of pimples to the doctor, she helped me immediately and now I only get a few pimples when I'm on my period and I can finally get rid of those gnarly scars since there's no more pimples. And on top of all of that, all she did was recommend me a body bar that has almost completely cleared my body acne! Would definitely recommend this brand to anyone who's struggling with acne/their skin. I don't feel disgusted when I look in the mirror anymore and I never thought that would happen. Everyone should check out Curology!

on 8/2/2017 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I subscribed due to a blog post, and I have no regrets! I was given a mix of Clindamycin, azelaic acid and tertian, as I am in my 30's and still have acne. Fun times! The customer service is A+, as well--the NP I work with answers all my questions in a timely and friendly manner. My skin looks a lot better (as a result of both the cream and the zinc soap/vitamin C combo recommended).

on 7/22/2017 12:47:00 AM

I had a sudden bout of hormonal acne. I tried everything for months and even considered going on another course of roaccutane. Curology was my last attempt before I go on roaccutane. And I'm so glad I gave it a try. Not only are my pimples gone. But the small under the skin black and white heads are also gone. My skin is smooth. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose with one month free trial.

After suffering from acne my whole life, I can say that Curology is the BEST acne medication out there right now. Because the formula in each bottle of curology is customized to your skin problems, literally you will see improvements to your skin in a week. My problems were never big zits, it was more that every single one of my pores were always filled with gunk and oil deposits, no matter how often I went to the aesthetician to clean out my skin, or wash my face diligently, my pores were always clogged and become infected and would erupt again. The process is frustrating and it got really old, when I'm already close to forty and still have the skin problems of a teenager.

I have used Proactiv, Rodan and Fields, chinese formulas teas, gone to acne.com and followed their advice, cut diary and sugar out of my diet, you name it I tried it, but nothing has provided the relief to my skin. My curology formula includes the following:

– tretinoin 0.009% (unclogs pores and improves skin texture)
– clindamycin 1% (antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
– azelaic acid 9% (antibacterial that also fights redness and dark spots/post-acne marks)

They may differ for each person, you upload your picture into their site, and get the consultation online by a RN or Physician Associate.

My nighttime routine is as follow:

1) Double step cleaning, first remove make up with [Banila Clean It Zero Purity] then clean [Su:m37 Miracle Rose cleansing Stick]

2) Toning with [Park and Son Beauty Water]

3) Moisterizer with [Nature Republic Aloe Vera 92% Soothing Gel] and every other day [Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule]

4) Smooth Curology formula over problem areas.

You will notice that the brands I use are all korean, it's not because i'm korean, I'm asian lady from California, I just find korean brands to be very natural and gentle on skin. It's not harsh or irritates the skin with less chemical in the products. You can go to amazon.com and get it shipped to you.

I am not paid to promote this product, just want to share my experience with other acne sufferers, as I know how frustrating it is!

on 5/12/2017 2:48:00 PM

This stuff is pretty incredible . I have tried antibiotics , sulfur, clindamycin, zinc, peels, aloe ... pretty much everything but accutane (which scares me) and my skin was still breaking out . I was desperate so I snapped a pic and sent it in to curology .. I got a nice note back from the NP with her recommendations which were clindamycin, Zinc and salycylic ... I think for me the Zinc was the magic ingredient .. my skin cleared up amazingly over a couple weeks! So much so that I cancelled it after the first month . Big mistake! After 6 mths my skin went back to being a mess.. I am going to stick with it this time . It's pretty much a god-send for me