Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.6

on 3/17/2017 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Easily my favourite nude/natural/everyday wear matte palette. The colours will work for ANY skin tone and blend so easily. I love the booklet that comes with it with ideas for how to contour the eye (really neat stuff) but even using it not for the purpose of contouring, this palette is perfection. You can create so many versatile looks with these shadows.

There isn't much else to say about this palette. I just really, really love it.

on 3/11/2017 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this palette, the shades are very versatile and blends so good. If you are in need of a matte palette this is the palette you are looking for, it has warm, neutral and cool shades. The shades are buttery and very pigmented, you don't need much product.

on 3/2/2017 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Okay ladies, only an 88% for this dynamite palette. I.Am.Disappointed.

Smh.

This palette consists of 12 luxurious eyeshadows in a range of neutral, cool and warm tones with each tone grouped into a quad for an easy look. Each quad includes a base, crease, definition and highlight color for an easy and cohesive looks, like what is pictured in the pamphlet that comes with the palette. Or create whatever look you want, do YOU baby girl!

Let's start by covering the bases!

L is lovely Ludwin, the neutral base offering. After primer and maybe a little concealer, I generously pat ludwin from my lash line to right above my crease. The yellow toned shadow feels creamy to the touch and has a tendency to kick up product so don't forget to give your brush a little 'tap tap tappy'. You should know that all the colors are prone to this. If this is a deal breaker for you, then GOOD. That leaves more of these babies on the store shelves for those that love it!

L (again?) is for little, lonely Lazarus, the second base shade and part of the cool quad. This poor thing. This palette has been in my stash for more than a year and I have NEVER used it. Cool tones on their own clash with my Asian Indian NC40 skin. The only way to make cool colors work for me is to pair it with something warm. This is possible with this palette but I've never attempted it. I'm lazy, so shoot me.

L (Kat must like the letter L) is for layering because the warmth of Laetus, the warm base, makes it a fantastic transition color for almost any look. The peachy, orange color brings warmth (duh) and a soft, pretty depth to my eyes. The soft texture of these shadows helps Laetus shine as a transition shade. Many of even my most stubborn shadows blend out easily if Laetus is layered underneath.

Now I welcome you to Summarizing 101!!

I do not use the cool quad. I don't know, I just don't prefer the shades offered. If I can't find my MAC Black Tied eyeshadow, I may just use Shax, the black definition shade. Honestly, if you have the MAC Cool Neutrals x15, you're the proud owner of one of the best batches of Black Tied that MAC has ever released. Nothing will compare. I don't doubt that there's better black eye shadows on the market. Both Lazarus and Liberatus, the crease shade, are still untouched. If and when I might reach for a gray eyeshadow, hands down it'll be MAC Copperplate. Nothing compares to it. However, I have found something special in Saleos, the intensely white highlight shade. Unlike the neutral and warm highlights, Saleos is a bright, clean matte white. My basic eye prep routine is the neutral base Ludwin from lash line to crease and Saleos from brow bone to crease, which I'll pat lightly to blend. This opens up my eyes and sets me up for any eye look.

Latinus is the neutral crease color but it oddly runs cool on me. It's like my skin tone makes the color appear not true to pan. Poorly explained, I know, so take from that what you will. Sytry, the definer shade suffers from this same color adapting situation. I much prefer the warm definer shade if I can even be bothered to use any of the darker shades. Most days I just blend Laetus and Latinus into my crease and maybe Succubus, the neutral ivory highlight. The sheen of both Succubus and the warm highlight is subtle, no frost here. I should mentioned that the three highlights are VERY soft. Easily the softest of the bunch and they kick up product something fierce and you WILL have fallout unless you either tap your brush before application or barely touch your brush to the pan. Unfortunately the shimmer highlights are very pretty but primers like the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion and the equally popular Too Faced Shadow Insurance couldn't help these shades last. After just one or two hours, you would think I had never even applied it. What a shame.

Now if you haven't already jumped on the Modern Renaissance bandwagon and learned to love the warm oranges, reds and pinks that are currently trending, I BEG you to not be afraid of the rich red crease shade named Lucius. A little bit of Lucius on a fluffy blending brush will give you another warm transition. I use Lucius to make the neutral crease and definer colors work. Applied as a transition, Sytry morphs into a very pretty purple-y mauve. Building it up and blowing out the crease, with the rich brown Solas packed on the lid, makes an sultry smokey eye. These two also come together to make a very unique cut crease. Samuel, the warm highlight, is a buttery gold color. Again, the sheen is not over the top but regrettably, it too suffers from the same shortcomings as the neutral highlight.

I am by no means a casual makeup enthusiast. The core of just my beloved eyeshadow collection are my three MAC 15 pan palettes, two that were personally curated by me. I use this palette every single day. Its a cosmetic workhorse and a staple in stash. I would absolutely repurchase if I was ever without it. The people at KVD created a masterpiece and I would highly recommend as a gift for the cosmetically inclined both young and old.

continued >>

on 3/4/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a really long time to buy this palette. I love it. I find it to be very smooth and blendable, with the exception of the shade Saleos. It's the 4th color on the bottom, left to right. That one is very "grabby" the edges are almost impossible to blend out so I find I just don't use it. I love the others, with Lazarus being my most used as a transition color. I feel that other than the middle quad, the palette does run warm leaning neutral. I have also had some irritation in the past with KVD's shadows but that is not an issue here. I use this palette daily.

I didn't get to play around with this much as I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to the shadows. Each time I used the palette my eyes would swell up. Returned to sephora and one look at my puffy eyes the cashier didn't even have to ask why. Sad because I really liked the colour selection.

on 2/26/2017 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

The most amazing matte palette ever. This thing was the palette of my dreams (and I got so lucky when I got it as a birthday present!) Super pigmented and blendable shades, perfect to effortlessly create looks everyday (but what a pity because I love this palette so much that I only bust it out on special occasions.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I love these eyeshadows. There is a nice array of cool, neutral and warm tones that allows you to create so many different looks.The colours basically blend as soon as i apply them to my eyelids and are a must have for all of my eye looks

on 2/21/2017 7:20:00 PM

I love it so much, I can create so many looks within this palette, and I can use every single shade whaich is so nice, it feels buttery when swatches on fingers, but when I use a brush, it just so soft to pick up that makes it chalky and fall outs a little bit, that is the only cons

on 2/9/2017 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I use this palette every single day for my transition shades. It is soooooo worth the hype! The formula is buttery and pigmented in every single shade. The light tones aren't chalky and the black in here is to die for 😍 The only thing that would make this better is if it had a deep chocolate brown like in the Monarch palette. If you love makeup you need to have this in your collection.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have nothing but good things to say about this palette. Love that it's organized into three sections: Warm, neutral, cool. Easy to create many looks. You can do natural to dramatic. Shadows pigmented and easy to blend. Love it.