Tarte Cosmetics TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

Tarte Cosmetics TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows
TARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte EyeshadowsTARTElette Amazonian Clay Matte Eyeshadows

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Couple years ago this would be my HG palette, but since there are so many better palettes available at Tarte today - I think that unless you only use neutral/cool-toned matte shadows - you won't really be able to create a variety of looks with this palette alone.

Quality-wise this palette is fab; almost every single shade here is pigmented, blendable and buttery smooth. They last a very good time on the eye and are not too powdery. You can always read more about application and see swatches in a separate review here ( http://www.partyparrotblog.com/single-post/2017/02/16/Tartelette-Exposed ). All in all, I think it is nice, but if I were to choose between this and their Tartelette in Bloom or even Tarteist Pro - I would get one of the latter ones, because they do have some fun shimmers in them too, which allows you to be tht extra bit creative. If you like warm eyeshadows, again - go for Bloom.

I am so disapointed in this palette. What drew me in initially was the beautiful packaging and the colors looked gorgeous in the case. However when applied the colors have very little pigment (even on my fair skin) and kind of look the same when applied. And when blended they all kind of blend together. I much prefer Lorac Pro Matte Palette!

Since we can't buy Tarte in Europe I asked my friend to bring it for me. Disappointingly I really don't care for it much. The shadows aren't very pigmented, especially the lighter ones. I was hoping that I can use this palette as a good base for many different makeup looks, but I barely use it at all. I feel that you can do much more getting some good quality single neutral shadows in the colors that fit your skin tone than this palette. I would never repurchase it or recommend it to a friend.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I am a lover of almost all things Tarte. I have the Tartelette in bloom and the Tarte Pro. I bought this to add more complimentary matte shades, but I did end up returning it.

It's not bad - value wise I would definitely get this over the Naked Basics. It has a much better range and much better value. I did like the shades in this palette. The reason for return - it wasn't as good in quality as the Tartelette in Bloom and Tarte pro. I felt like it was harder to blend out and the colors didn't remain true after being on the eye for a while. They kind of grayed out after a couple hours on me. Disclaimer: I have medium skin. I feel like these would work better on pale skin. I did not have these problems with my other Tarte palettes.

The Tarte Pro has a lot of similar colors to this (and then some!). Below are the Tartelette colors and the similar Pro colors:

Free Spirit = Classic
Bombshell = Vamp
Super Mom = Vintage
Wanderer = Bold
Fashionista = Punk

A lot of those aren't exact matches, but very very close. The Tarte Pro is a little more expensive at $75.71 per ounce of product to the Tartelette's $72.32 per ounce, but it is better quality in my opinion. The Tartelette in Bloom is also fantastic and is at the same price point, but it leans more burgundy.

Not a bad palette, but I feel there are better options in the same price point out there.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I think this is a great palette, not a "omg you gotta go get this now" palette, but still worthy if you want to add something to your stash that you can rely on. All of the colors are workable, with a good range of neutral pink & brown based hues, and I have not skipped over any, something that is a rarity for me. I've used it quite a bit and feel at this point I can get a good eye look if I keep it simple and use eye primer, and have been getting 11+ hours of wear with no noticeable fading or creasing.
The palette is made of plastic and thin but generous in product quantity (.636 oz total, 1.5 g per pan). I wouldn't toss this loose into a bag as I fear it would easily crack - I have seen a few youtube reviews where the mirror is broken, so it's not going to withstand a lot of abuse. It smells strongly of vanilla, which I like. The shadows are firm but smooth, and go on with no patchiness and blend out with little effort. I'm not getting any fallout or excess mess in the palette with my brushes, even when digging in to pack some color.
I have the best luck and no muddiness if I work from a row from left to right, using the darkest as a liner. I've also tried to use this in combination with the tartelette in bloom palette, but the colors got muddy and I'm a one palette kind of gal anyways. I still need to give it more time to be 100% convinced I would buy this again, but with the color range I feel out of all of my matte palettes this gives the best selection of colors, and I'm happy I have it!

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I bought this hoping that it would be as good as tarte' s limited edition "mattenificent"palette. Unfortunately I found the shadows to be alot less pigmented and alot of the lighter shades to be super similar. I prefer creamy, slightly more powdery shadows like the lorac pro palette or abh modern renaissance. The shadows in this palette are just kind of hard. I knocked off an extra star for the price (it just isn't 5x better than something 5x cheaper..)

This palette leans purpley, which is nice on brown eyes, but I wish there were some warm browns. If you're picking between this and the tartelette in bloom palette, I'd recommend the in bloom palette because it's way more pigmented and has a few shimmer shades too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

To begin, in an eyes shadow I look for buttery consistency with high pigmentation that lasts all day and blends easily. Now let's get into the product.

Pigmentation and Consistency -
These eye shadows are not very pigmented. Some of the shades can be built up fairly easily, but others will not build up at all. The lighter shades are fairly pigmented and have a good consistency, as well as the black and the midtone brown shades. My issue is mostly with the purple shades which make up about half of this palette. They are very chalky (as are most of the other shades), and end up looking very muddy. When you blend these shades together they all end up looking the same, a muddy grey brown shade. I'm able to create a nice look, but it's not easy.

Longevity & Blendability -
These shades last a decent amount of time, but eventually fade into nothingness within 8 hours of wear. Again, if you are able to build these shadows up to their true colors they all begin to fade into the same greyish brown shade. If you are looking for a grey/brown pallet this may be perfect for you. None of the shades blend particularly easily, and can look patchy and inconsistent depending on which color you are using. The transition shades do not blend well at all nor do the darker shades.

Price -
I got this palette as a gift so I can't comment too much about price. However after looking this up I found out this palette was $45. For the price I would not recommend this product at all. There are so many other brands out there that sell eye shadow palettes for similar prices that are much better quality. The Too Faced and Lorac palettes are similarly priced (if not cheaper) and will treat you much better. The naked palettes are $54 and give 10x the quality and pigmentation of this product. Invest your money elsewhere.

Final thoughts -
As I said previously, I have been able to create decent looks with this palette but it takes a lot of time and effort. I would not recommend this palette if you are looking to create a quick and easy look in the morning or on the go. The lighter shades are nice, they blend well and are fairly pigmented. The rest of the shades are chalky, patchy and muddy. The pigmentation is not there for the majority of these shades. If you are looking for a beautiful purple palette this is not it. If natural ingredients are important to you, I'm sure there are other brands who can provide that with a better result. Perhaps other Tarte shadows or palettes are better than this one. I love Tarte as a brand overall, but this was a miss for me.

on 1/2/2017 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Ok firstly I've given the price 3 because to ship it to the UK was very expensive! The palette is similar to Naked palettes so I'm used to the price of the actual product. So the price rating was mostly for shipping to the UK.

Packaging - Very tacky purple and gold box. I personally like minimalist packaging like MAC or NARS but that's just me. For an expensive palette, the box is plasticky and a little underwhelming for how much money I paid! The mirror is nice and large but it's all too plastic and cheap for me. Other popular palettes have better packaging for sure.

Pigmentation - You won't see an immediate colour you need to build! This means these aren't very pigmented, this may be because of its natural ingredients? It can be a little tedious really packing on a base colour for ages and blending for ages with a colour you want a lot of intensity from! The intensity of these get a 2/5 from me

Colour range - Beautiful colour range! I saw this on Instagram a year ago and I fell in love with it! I had to have it and when it came it didn't disappoint in terms of colour variation. I like that each row horizontally can be used together to make classic looks of one colour but different shades. For those who have given this a bad review because all the shades are matte.. the point of it is to be a matte palette. I bought this for mattes because owning naked palettes is making me tired of shimmers. Buy this if you love matte and are confident it doesn't bore you!

Usage - It takes a little longer to blend with these, it's not as smooth as a MAC or urban decay shadow. I think many lovely looks can be made with this palette on its own! Mattes can be stunning and classy. If you want to use other eyeshadows it works well with them too. I did use the purples with a shimmery pink look and it all blended well.

Overall, I like this palette, it's classic mattes and it's beautiful!

Pros - nice range of colours, finally and all matte palette! some of us don't like shimmer, big mirror, firm case, lots of transition shades!!

Cons - A little hard to blend, not very pigmented, tacky packaging and looks a little cheap for the price it is!

on 12/14/2016 1:09:00 PM

This is the most complete review I've ever written because at this point I have already gotten rid of this. It says 12 months on the back of the package and I kept it 18 months, no smells, just that tarte doesn't use preservatives so I don't like to keep their products too long. I loved this when I got it; I was also still pretty new to makeup at the time.
The pros: Pretty packaging, one amazing shade in the purple row, easy to use, blend ok.
Cons:The pigmentation is not so great, which I feel is a good thing for a beginner. The purple row is the only one I ever use as the other two rows are so boring and basic and, there may be a place for them in your collection but not in mine.
Now that I've replaced my HG crease shade which I found in this palette (the second lightest purple-y one) with MUFE's artist shadow in M546, I'm finding a whole new dimension of blendability and pigmentation which is far above and beyond this. They are gorgeous. So I'm done with tarte eyeshadows. They are good for beginners who need soft pigmentation and pretty packaging and "value", and you do get a range of shades to try and find your HG from; but I want quality and I want that precise perfect shade now.
I know I mentioned it's good for a beginner but you can find that in a much cheaper offering at the drugstore. It's not worth going mid-range prices for drugstore quality, which is what this is to me.

on 12/14/2016 12:47:00 PM

Realllllly wanted to love this, but cannot. It's so chalky and doesn't blend properly at all. Blah colours that don't show up well either. Pigmentation is only so so. The purples show up as grays on me. Once you get them blended it looks muddy. Definitely a pass. Can't return due to it being past the return date, so will use in conjunction with my other palettes. Pretty packaging though.