Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 4/24/2010 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Finally, I got to try Vol de Nuit, and it is just gorgeous! This is a soft oriental, similar to Shalimar, but a little more woody and less vanillic. It's very elegant and soft. I am more comfortable wearing this than Shalimar due to Shalimar's huge popularity and connection with elderly relatives. Terribly difficult to locate, I believe only Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman have it in their stores. Absolutely worth getting a decant to try if the stores near you don't carry Vol de Nuit. It is a true beauty, and I wish it were more available in the mainstream.

on 1/14/2010 1:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

(UPDATE: 2/22/2016: Just bought a new bottle of the EDT from NEIMAN-MARCUS, after not having smelled this fragrance for about 7 years. Yes, there it is, that simple but gorgeous smell that is so nice. Aldehydes are HUGE and nose-prickling in the opening spray. I am gratified to see that the leather component is still highly indolic, ie., very slightly mothball-ish, in the oldschool fashion. I love that note, though I'm aware it's precisely what today's under-35's hate in vintage numbers. I agree with everyone here that the EDT is quite evanescent, yet the signature jasmin/leather/Guerlinade accord does linger recognizably for several hours. I observe that the "cherry" almond component of the Guerlinade is rather prominent in the current EDT formulation, reminding some of LHEURE BLEUE.)

VOL DE NUIT is a gorgeous green chypre, with some warming amber, leather and spice elements afoot. But it is by no means an Oriental, and it bears little comparison to SHALIMAR, as some have claimed. VdN is warm, yet never sweet.
That initial hit of galbanum, bergamot, petitgrain, neroli, aldehydes and "Guerlinade" is so refreshing. You'll detect that salty heliotrope/PLAY-DOH note that seems to balkanize smellers. Then an indolic jasmin begins to gently creep out from under the brilliance, tinged with musk and the faintest hint of civet.
May rose, patchouly, frankincense and oakmoss begin to bestow a solidity and identity to the mix; cassia and santal, some warmth.
Au fond, you have a pleasantly "dirty" leather--- like fallen autumn leaves mulching in the mud--- and you begin to feel that VdN is like a cherished pair of old comfortable shoes, or a well-worn, loved brown leather aviator's jacket.

No fragrance incorporates patchouly so deftly.... It is pronounced, yet never once "headshoppy" or heady. VOL DE NUIT is a warm lovable leather, decidedly outdoorsy...almost sporty. Perhaps it could be worn to a formal occasion, yet VdN's real beauty and usefulness is as a friendly, unpretentious daytime companion. Probably most at home with jeans, boots and a leather jacket. VdN is flawlessly blended and balanced; so many things are going on "under the hood", yet individual notes never stand out.... Like the other Guerlains, all one smells is the Gestalt, the totality. Perhaps no perfume house manages this "Gestalt"-type blending as well, so completely, as Guerlain.

VdN is indeed an old-fashioned type smell--- the notes of galbanum, orris, peach, and a nostalgic "TABU-like" accord of patchouly/rose/amber hearken back to the first half of the 20thc.---- but I mean this in the very best way. People who truly know perfumery will cherish this one, and sadly there are probably some twenty-somethings out there who will never even give it a chance. VOL DE NUIT never once pretends to be anything it's not. It will occupy a most special place in your wardrobe... always as a good, chummy friend.

I believe it can be easily Unisex.

on 6/9/2009 12:05:00 AM

Despite Vol de Nuit's legendary status, it does nothing for me, after 30 minutes the aldehydes settle in and don't budge. I'm fasting drawing the conclusion that my skin does not like aldehydes as I seem to find this with every perfume that I know contains prominent aldehydes, i.e. Chanel #5 and a couple of Carons. I never encounter this with perfumes from Serge Lutens, Montale etc that omit this chemical ingredient. A perfume lesson has been learned!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

We all know Shalimar is beautiful but many of us associate with an elderly family member that has worn it for the last 50 years. This exemplifies how good the fragrance is because it is still appealing after all these years. I don't know about you, but I want my fragrance choices to be unique. I don't want to smell like aunt Sheba (that's her scent).

Vol De Nuit is a beautiful woody oriental. It has many similarities to Shalimar but is a bit naughtier/sexier/edgier. I love this. It's Shalimar's prettier sister that doesn't go to as many parties and has a smaller social circle.

on 5/21/2009 8:41:00 AM

Vol De Nuit is wonderful - a real fragrance, a real perfume that does not smell gourmand, flowery of candy or anything edible. Created in 1933- it has a vintage air, class and mystery . It has its own personailty .To me this is chypre -oriental . Intense, dark and daring in the parfum extrait, lighter, less broody in the EDT but still spicy and very good fragrance. This fragrance is not made in the EDP form.
The extrait is a must try to appreciate this scent entirely. A classic always.

on 10/28/2009 5:19:00 PM

Ive just recieved my first one, ordered online unsniffed, what a great surprise: I loved it! It reminds me of something that I have no idea what it is... as each one of all old guerlains I suppose. It surely has something of Shalimar but more fruitier and some insence leading into some animalic almost manly dark note. Amazing fragrance! Ill keep ordering unsniffed guerlain classics online as nothing compares to them. Thanks for all you girls reviewers that in a way are helping me on my relevance list!

on 11/26/2008 9:14:00 AM

What is it about Jacques Guerlain's classic perfumes that makes them so difficult, yet so compelling? For so long, I dismissed Vol de Nuit as too dark, gamey, and weird. I even compared it to a barnyard, animals included. But when I tried it at the Waldorf-Astoria's charming little Guerlain space yesterday evening, something happened. I finally started to get it. The wood notes, so smooth that they seemed polished, came out, as did vanilla and some notes that reminded me of old-fashioned face cream and powder. It was still dark, but no longer impossible. Now, instead of a barnyard, I think of a 1930s femme fatale's dressing table, upon which Vol de Nuit's beautiful, Art Deco extrait bottle would go perfectly.

on 11/28/2008 8:42:00 PM

my love.

I bought the EDP for myself for the holidays from Neimans. The original scent was delicious and intoxicating, however....after about 5 minutes I was totally scent-less. Maybe I'm crazy but I couldn't detect anything. I'm sure that my body chemistry is deficient and to blame because this is the most lovely fragrance I have ever sniffed - it just doesn't like me. Even when just minutes after application, I asked my daughter how I smelled by offering my neck, she said "Like nothing - I don't smell anything". Needless to say I'm more than disappointed.

on 3/15/2009 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Ok, I understand Vol de Nuit is a masterpiece. But, I don't think this is a wearable fragrance for me. I would describe Vol de Nuit as an intense oriental. The first thing that came to my mind was super skanky. The skank lets off heading into the dry down but the strong spices are still there. There is nothing floral at all about this fragrance......it's pure darkness. I would love to own a bottle (the bottle itself is beautiful) but I'm not sure if I'd have the opportunity to wear this.

Popular Fragrances