Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 10/16/2015 3:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this palette as i'm usually a neutral eyeshadow wearer. It has all the right shades for a very natural eye makeup, and also has a really nice brown and matte black for a darker, smoky look.
The shadows have great pigmentation, and they are nice and blendable, but they will show better if you use a primer. They are also a little powdery so I do recommend tapping the brush before applying. I have oily skin, so they tend to disappear on me at the end of the day, if i wear no primer.
Overall, great product and it sure is a make up bag staple!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is my favorite UD palette to date. It's a workhorse, in that it can be used alone, or with other palettes. On my fair neutral-warm skin, I like Venus as a highlighting shade. It's not a true matte, as it has sheen. Foxy is a warm beige that almost matches my skin tone; I usually use this for setting eye primer or reducing redness. Walk of Shame is a very light pink with nice pigmentation. The staying power is the worst on this shade, although it's a great color. Naked 2 is a grayed taupe that reads ashy on my skin. I use it as a transition shade. Faint is a soft brown with fantastic pigmentation, while Crave is black and a nice eyeliner. The most problematic shades are Crave and WOS. Crave is powdery, while WOS seems to fade even over primer.

These 2 complaints aside, this is a great little palette that can be used in so many ways. I love this palette for work and natural looks. I have used better matte formulas, although for a mainstream mid-end brand, UD has created a lovely product that is easy to travel with!

on 7/12/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Naked Basics is probably one of the best palettes Urban Decay has to offer. Why they don't focus on producing more matte shades is beyond me, because these aren't bad and work better than a lot of shimmers in the Urban Decay permanent line.

The palette itself is very sturdy and closes tightly. You don't have to worry about this one opening up without warning and getting all over everything in your purse or kit. It also comes with a mirror, though, it gets dirty after use.

Being that it is Urban Decay, there is a shimmer shade in Venus, but it's light enough and in my experience, does not produce any fall out. It's particularly good for applying to the inner eyes to brighten and widen, especially for those of us with eyes that are close together. It does a solid enough job of that.

The two "nude" shades of Foxy and W.O.S. are nice, as it provides options for both pink undertones and yellow undertones, and are versatile enough to be used on either skintone. The pigmentation on W.O.S. was a little more difficult for me to work with than Foxy (which I also used to set concealer as it worked very well with my skintone.)

Naked2 is a lovely crease shade and probably the color I used the most. It's neutral and again, works for both skin tones nicely.

Faint is probably the best pigmented of the bunch and works well as either crease (especially for cut-creases) and outer v deepening.

Crave is my least favorite in the palette for several reasons: one, it's not pigmented well. As a black shade, it's not a true black (it tends to lean more charcoal/slightly gray) and is difficult to work with. As another reviewer suggested, this palette would be so much better had they removed the black shade and substituted with a darker brown.

The palette itself is probably the one I would recommend for anyone looking to upgrade and start a middle-to-high end collection of makeup. It's a great workhorse palette. I did not experience fall-out with it, but I also tend to take a lighter hand with eyeshadows in general and always tap my brush before applying. I would advise not getting the eyeshadows wet, as if you do spray water onto your brush and have to dip back in for more, the shadows do not take well to being wetted and the colors in the pan "warp" a bit.

I did not have the issue of the eyeshadows becoming muddied, though, it may fade in pigmentation throughout the day if you don't wear a good base or primer. I would also question how this would fare on darker skintones, seeing as how some of the colors appeared ashy on <NC15 skin (W.O.S.). I do not intend on repurchasing it as while it's not the worst product, it's not a product I have a need for in my collection. I would rather invest the money on an individual palette and pick all colors that work for me, but for an individual palette, this is a solid choice.

Pros:

- Great neutral matte formula
- No fall-out
- Offers nude shades for both yellow and pink undertones
- Great multi-tasking product (I used Foxy to set my concealer, for example)
- Sturdy packaging that would hold up in traveling
- (For those that like it), does contain one shimmer shade

Cons:

- Pigmentation can fade throughout the day if not primed/applied to base
- May not work well on POCs
- Crave has mediocre pigmentation and would work better with a dark brown shade
- (For those looking for one), it is not an all-matte palette; does contain a shimmer shade
- Do not take to being wet very well in the pan

on 7/3/2015 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't like the 3 Nakeds, but I really love the Naked Basics. This palette is really great if you just want a simple neutral eye. You can create a gorgeous smokey eye if you want also. It's easy to lighten or deepen the look. You can also leave it matte, or make it shimmery. This is also a great travel palette, being that it is so small and versatile (day to night looks, specifically). I would recommend this for beginners also. The only downside is probably the packaging because for some reason the shadows break easily. When I finish some of the shades in the palette, I will probably repurchase because the black shade broke entirely in the one I have now.

on 6/27/2015 6:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I decided I wanted to try matte shadows, but didn't like the drugstore ones I bought (much too chalky). After testing I store and feeling how buttery these are, I decided to splurge. It has been worth it. I can create so many looks with this. The one color I never seem to touch is crave (black shade) unless I'm using it as a liner. I use the other colors frequently. Foxy is a great brow color, WOS a good barely there lid color, naked2 a good lid color or barely there crease color, and faint a good crease color or liner color. Venus is good for adding some light shimmer to the inner corners of the eye, brow highlight, or even as a blending color over the lid to add a bit of cool brightness. I do think I'd look into the naked basics 2 before repurchasing this, but I'll have one on hand from now on. I find all colors to have a purpose of some sort, but wish the black was a chocolate brown shade instead, which is why I took a lippie off. This palette can create so many looks and can be mixed with others to get even more looks. This travels well and has yet to show any signs of chipping or breaking for me. It is also compact, another plus for traveling. Overall, I recommend and will not be without a naked basics palette in my makeup arsenal.

on 5/6/2015 9:45:00 AM

UD Naked Basics (Original) is my first ever palette. I had no expectations whatsoever, all I thought about was owning a simple, versatile, and convenient makeup product. Here are my thoughts... :)

1. I really like the packaging. Sleek, compact, and sturdy.

2. I'm very much into matte formulas than shiny or glittery ones so I was pleased that majority of the shadows were matte. But I do like the one shimmery shadow. It works really well as a brow bone and tear duct highlight. lol

3. Since the shades are neutral nudes (does that make sense?) you are free to do a lot of different eye looks. From a soft brown to just defining your eyes for an everyday look to a bold, strong statement smokey look. :P

4. The color pay-offs are the beesssstttttt. Super pigmented. Smooth, buttery. Easy to blend. (thumbs up)

5. I just wish the shapes were different other than UD's signature rectangular shape. Especially for this palette since it's quite small and gives you a lot of experimenting with different looks the amount of product could've been a lot more.

6. $30 for the palette is a tad expensive for me. Maybe $25 would've been better? Too small and lacking on more product for 30 dollars. :(

7. The brown shade (Faint) is P E R F E C T for an eyebrow powder. Can't explain any further.

8. Ideal for travelling cuz of it's versatility and size.

Overall, I looove this palette. I'd re-purchase it. :)

on 3/20/2015 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like this palette because I don't have to feel like I am wasting the other shades I do not use. In the basics palette, i use 4 colors. Pretty much every color except the black. (because I am typically not an out there makeup person) But overall I love all the colors in this palette! I would totally recommend this to anyone who wants a simple palette without paying a ton:)
One concern I do have is Venus is very chalky in my palette. It tends to go everywhere when I use it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Honestly, I've used drugstore eyeshadows better than this. I usually don't wear eyeshadow, but do every now and then when I'm bored and have extra time to get ready, or want to look extra nice for a dinner/event or for whatever reason. My main problem with this was the fallout. It was ridiculous, and made a huge mess. It was rather chalky too, making it difficult to blend seamlessly. If I wear eyeshadow, I want it to look great. This stuff had great reviews online and on YouTube. I've even seen girls use tutorials using this and it looks great ? I have good makeup brushes and everything, so I know that can't be the problem. Maybe I got a bad one ? Lol but when other people describe this palette im like, "are we talking about the same product !?" because this stuff is dry, chalky, and a total mess to use. The fallout is just so wasteful. It's a shame, because I love the concept of this palette, and I love other urban decay eyeshadows ? Just wasn't a hit for me. You can't go wrong with the urban decay naked palette, though. If you're looking for a great nude eyeshadow palette go for the naked or naked 2 palette.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought this today and tried it out as soon as I got home. LOVE. To try all the colors, I started out with a barely there, natural look and built up into a smoldering, smokey eye. The powders are creamy, pigmented, easy to blend, and the staying powder is amazing. (I still use a primer though because my lids are oily). The colors are beautiful neutrals and virtually mistake proof. You can easily use any color with other satins, frosts, metalics, etc. And even though the compact is a little expensive, it's going to last a long time. Highly recommend this for a whole range of looks!

on 12/29/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pros:
good for every day
nice neutral, matte shades
Giant mirror is very convenient
Lightweight case

Cons:
Expensive for only a few colors
Some shades are too light for fair skin

Personally, i love this and i might buy one again or the newer naked 2 basics