Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette

Stila color wheel eyeshadow palette
Violet Eye from Stila Color Wheel look bookSome swatches from the Stila Color WheelMore swatches from Stila Color Wheel

3.7

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Eh...I'm a little on the fence with Stila on this one, primarily because the color payoff for these shadows is nothing close to how they appear in the booklet that comes with it. Personally, I don't even mind that too much because it means that some of the more dramatic looks that would usually intimidate me end up looking softer and more wearable, but it's still a bit dishonest. The fallout on these shadows is quite annoying, too; they're extremely powdery and soft. Also, I was disappointed to find that the book includes only twelve looks. Despite all these grievances, though, I will say I rather like this palette, if only because I use most of the colors in their own right and don't pay much attention to the book anymore. For the price, this is a decent palette if you're just looking for a variety of nice colors.

on 12/31/2010 12:36:00 PM

So I read all the other comments and I have to disagree a little. I was excited when I saw this because it is a great taste in different colors. And I am a huge fan of Stila because they aren't as over the top as Mac but they still use bright colors. I was a little disappointed in look book that came with it. It showed you these great looks and when you try to achieve them it looks nothing like what they show. Also they don't recommend what type of primmer to use. I normally use Mac's concealer but even applying the eyeshadows over top of that they didnt turn out vibrant and bright at all, they turned out very dull and almost compared to something I would expect a younger girl starting off wearing. What I ended up doing was applying my concealer and then applying a paint pot color, very close to my skin tone color, and then applying the eye shadows. You have to really apply the colors in at least 2 layers to get the color shown in the palette. The other thing that I recommend is if your going to use these colors wet they will crease... so try not to use them wet near your crease.

Overall I would not recommend this palette to anyone who is looking to achieve dramatic looks or any look that isnt light looking. I also used all Stila brushes and the colors didn't go on nearly as good as when I used my Mac brushes.

on 11/17/2010 11:04:00 PM

Normally I wouldn't buy a palette with many different colors since I love berry, reds, wines, and beiges on my deep brown eyes, but I was pleasantly surprised when opening the palette that the colors while colorful are muted (for instance the greens are greyish green) and very wearable. Out of all of the colors there might be one and its one of the tinier ones that I probably won't wear and its a bright aqua. The pigment is great. I barely have to touch my brush to the color to get the right amount. People have complained in the past of stila colors being soft with alot of fall-out and I don't have that problem at all. If you dig your brushes into the color of course you will end up with too much shadow, thus fallout. Just as putting on shadow it should be patted on the lid instead of swiped. Pat your brush on the palette and you will get pigment without making a mess. This is not a tiny palette at all, they give you your moneys worth! It looks pretty sitting in the front of my large palette organizer too. All in all I have no regrets about this purchase and am happy that I did. In fact I am planning on picking up a few more for my sister and closest friends, they will love it!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As far as eyeshadows go I'm a stila fan. When buying single pallets I tend to buy in the same color family. This seemed like a good opportunity to experiment with different colors so I don't mind that some of the colors are in small quantities. I used just about every color in the pallet now and I have to tell you the color payoff is great. All the colors are very wearable, even the brighter ones. They are not as bright as they look in the pallet. I don't have a problem with fallout with stila products. I always tap my brush into the pallets and tap onto the eyelid. I find you get the most concentrated color when applied this way. The packaging is nice and the pallet itself is a nice size. It is not transportable though, which is okay with me. I use a primer so the color lasts literally all day. That is what I really love about stila eyeshadows. The price of this pallet is very affordable given all the colors you get. I'd love to see a lip pallet llike this. One last thing, these shadows are great when foiled too.

This was my very first Stila eyeshadow purchase, and I'm glad I gave them a try! The eyeshadows are not quite as pigmented as some others I've tried, but I have gotten so many compliments wearing some of the color combinations in this set. My absolute favorite is the teal. I uploaded some pictures of swatches from this set, and as you can see, they are pigmented enough. I didn't put an eye primer with those either so they would be much darker with a primer or even if you used a wet brush. This palette is pretty large - I believe about 8 inches on each sides. The only thing that would make this better would be if the brushes were not so bad. Seriously, the brushes are like kid sized and of poor quality - but really, who cares? Get this if you're new to make-up, or even if you're not. This gives you great color combination, a pretty good color pay off and pigmentation, and a little "look book" to show you how to use each eye shadow!