Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

on 12/14/2012 10:08:00 PM

I'm so glad I got this. Seriously- every color you would ever need at such an affordable price. The eyeshadows are very pigmented and ultra shimmery. Some people might complain they are too small (dime sized), but how often do you go through eyeshadows? Plus, with so many colors it is hard to. I would recommend this palette to any beginners with makeup to start off your collection.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I like this palette. I bought it about a year or two ago on amazon. I do kinda regret not searching eBay because you can find it from the originals in China for a much cheaper price. Lesson learned but moving on this is a great palette and it is a better alternative to buying single pots of eye shadows. The colors are gorgeous and to make the colors last all day and not crease use an eye primer/base. I use the NYX one. Other than that it doesn't last without a base/primer underneath.

The one complaint I have about this is from whoever shipped this from amazon didn't package well because when I got it a few of the eye shadow pots were out of place.

on 5/1/2012 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I fell in love with this palette before I ever even got it in the mail. I like the idea of all colors being in one handy palette. Also, the reviews that I've read have been pretty stellar on the Ultra Shimmer Palette.
When I received it in the mail today, I was super excited to swatch the beautiful colors inside. The first thing I noticed was how akward it was to open the palette without dropping it. I guess a palette of that size seemed like a good idea until I tried to figure out just where I would store it.
On to the colors...they are in fact VERY pigmented and everything I'd hoped they would be in terms of brightness. The biggest downside? The particles are too big and require a lot of force to blend. All this blending leaves a powdery & shimmery mess on my face. Also, I will have to use a good primer on my lids because it doesn't last that long at all. I will use this palette. It's the principal of it at this point. However, I will now do my eye make up first (complete with industrial strength primer), and then apply my foundation, ect.. The color payoff is somewhat worth the pain in the rump that my new makeup routine will be. Hopefully...

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

I like the color selection, it's really everything + more then you ever wanted! I can understand the hype of this product since it is very cheap (I bought it for 10$ + shipping from their official webshop) and the quality is okay.
But unfortunately many colors doesn't stay if you don't use an eye primer. Some of them I can't even apply without it!
I think if you don't want to use it for every day, or just want to try out new colors and color combinations, I can recommend it to you. But the hype around this product is definitly because of the price and not because of the quality.

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.

on 2/27/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

this product is so over rated i hate it ...

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

Love this the colors last all day long and I absolutely love it ! The packaging is nice too