Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

4.3

on 4/17/2010 10:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Instant seduction for me. It reminds me of those frothy, sweet cocktails that taste so much like decadant milkshakes you don't realize until the 4th round that you are completely intoxicated. This is boozy ice cream but with complexity, as a little spice and rose are thrown in. The peppercorn note keeps it from being too sweet and there is something earthy about it too. Just got a sample today and wow, I have never jumped onto the internet so quickly to buy a full bottle of a new sample. My husband says I smell good enough to eat and I feel impossibly edible! Since I work in a male dominated field, I guess I better think twice about spritzing this on before hopping in a car with 3 fellow agents to field work because for a gourmand, this is very sexy. This is liquid Lolita comehitherness (is that a word?) I'm loving it.

on 4/14/2010 8:55:00 PM

Bought this fragrance last October. Have worn it almost every day since, and love it now as much as the day I brought it home. Chocolate, rum, vanilla, and pepper... it was love at first sniff. It does remind me ever so slightly of Pink Sugar, but it is a much more complex scent in comparison which lingers throughout the day. I will repurchase in a heartbeat when I run out.

on 5/2/2009 4:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Tried this at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot Florida this past week and it's wonderful! First on it smells like Christmas rum balls: Rum, spice and chocolate. It dries down to a much milder tobacco, faint spice, wood scent with just a touch of sweet. It's lovely and also delicious and yes, very gourmand. The price is a bit steep as with all of this type. It you like Aomassai, you should probably try this one, too, as they're almost kissing cousins. Yum.

on 12/9/2009 11:49:00 AM

(3.5 lippies)

Sometimes you get to the point where you have smelled so many fragrances that they all seem to blend together, or else one inevitably reminds you of another, leading you to think that the fragrance world is really very small. Or it could be a case of "once a great notion." Whatever, association often cannot be avoided, and this holds especially true for Gourmand Coquin, part of the Elixirs Charnels trio.

It's no surprise that Guerlain caught the loukhoum trend, albeit a bit later than the other major players (Lutens, Mecheri). Guerlain associated this trend with the "sugar and spice and everything nice" chronological stage in a woman's emotional and physical development. Therefore, one should anticipate an accumulation of the sweetest details, but composed with restraint and on a less voluptuous scale than is Guerlain's prima donna vanilla, Shalimar. Coquin is a whimsical, fun scent woven out of a virginal cloth. "Coquin" is a bit of a misnomer; there is little racy here unless one counts the shot of rum lacing the heart notes. I could make a case for it being mischievous, in the same way stealing a sugar cookie is mischievous if one is on a rigid adult diet.

Guerlain stakes out the familiar loukhoum territory with accords that are familiar from three other fragrances: Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, IPdF Vaniglia del Madagascar, and Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori.
Coquin's introductory cherry fake-out (courtesy of a rum note) reminded me immediately of Mecheri Loukhoum. Chocolate and cherry made instantaneous appearances in Coquin, along with a strong drift of vanilla powder. From the start, it was clear that Coquin, like Loukhoum, was going to be a part-gourmand, part-cosmetic fragrance. The very prominent vanilla was at first talc-like with addition of rose, and later turned as doughy as the vanilla in IPdF Vaniglia del Madagascar.

Hours later, the vanilla became milky and scalded, a feature that marks Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori. Drydown moved from the slightly flat and doughy to the wax-like, leading to the inevitable resemblance to a high-quality candle. When the cocoa reappeared, as it should, at bedtime, the likeness to a candle ended.

Loukhoum scents can be a bit of a compositional hash. How they wear depends on which aspects are given the most weight. Where Mecheri's version was too sharply powdery (cosmetic) and linear for me, Gourmand Coquin continues to develop through what appears to be at least three stages. A greater spatial sense separates it from both the Lutens and Mecheri versions. The progression from gourmand through cosmetic and back to gourmand is interesting, if not thrilling. None of these scents has captured--and we might be thankful for this--the powdered sugar that coats the Turkish candy. In each case, the talc-like qualities of the vanilla are more evident.

Gourmand Coquin has exceptional lasting power. I applied it one afternoon and was still smelling it the next morning. It's not worth the money, in my opinion, but worth smelling for the way Guerlain continues to hold vanilla hostage. continued >>

on 10/11/2009 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Love this fragrance. Smells like chocolate but not too sweet. Some woody, floral notes as well that keep the fragrance from being too sweet but is definitely a gourmand. Beautiful bottle.

on 2/27/2010 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First of all, I hate both the name and Guerlain's tacky, tawdry, cheap Harlequin romance novel approach to marketing this fragrance!

However much I wanted to write this fragrance off, Gourmand Coquin is the ultimate, rich, gorgeous, gourmand with the traditional gorgeous vanill-y effect Guerlain does like no other. I only smell the rum and peppery notes in the early stages. Certainly it is not "naughty". The drydown is just a soft, rich, gorgeous. chocolatey distinctively Guerlain type of vanilla. It is very soft and comforting and nice to be around. It is sexy only in that my husband finds it pleasing too.

Yes, I agree with the similarities to Parfumerie Generale's Musc Maori et al, but Gourmand Coquin, I must reluctantly admit,. has a richness and a depth to it the others do not.

The bottle is nice, albeit perhaps a little too girly, for many's taste. I find it nice to have a "girly-girl" bottle mixed in with the many contempory, streamlined bottles of late. I also like that it's so distinctively feminine.

The downside is its price. I wish it were sold in a smaller bottle for less $$.

on 9/12/2008 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A brisk walk through the fall woods on a perfect day. End up in Wolverine stadium watching U of M win a kick-ass football game. Afterwards you go to a snuggly place and warm up with a cup of hot cocoa with rum,Baileys and some spices in it. Yum! That's what this is. My fave of the 3.Not too casual, not too snooty.

on 3/29/2009 12:49:00 AM

I like the last to review this, went to the boutique for the newest, La Petit Robe Noir. The Vegas boutique did have the La Petit Noir but on the same display, the new collection. As much as I liked and wanted the LPRN, once I had this in my hand, all was forgotten! I did not want to like it for the chocolate note. I dont' like chocolate notes that are prominant. And at first, I did detect chocolate. But once on my skin, the chocolate was slight and only lasted a few minutes. All that was left, and for 9hrs I must say, was a soft delicate, very feminine, and only so very slightly sweet. I LOVE gourmand's and I may have to say, this may be the best I have found yet. I did not hesitate to spend the extra $$$ on this. I was already prepared to spend $150 on the LPNR and that once was half the size. With the staying power of this decadant elixir, it will be worth the cost since it shoudl last a very long time!

on 9/11/2008 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

At first sniff on the skin....I get a big opening of sweet chocolate, which quickly fades....then... subtle wafts of rum...which I liked! Then just the slightest hint of rose popping out. The notes list black pepper or peppercorns, but I get no pepper. Nice, not really unique, and thank goodness, I don't "need" a FB:) Notes listed: Black Pepper, Rose, Rum & Chocolate. The dry down to me is the best part of this scent....but nothing mezmerizing.

Once I can actually afford to purchase a bottle of this scent, it will no doubt be my HG for any special evening or event. I hadn't planned to test it and rather, found it by accident when seeking out the new La Petite Robe Noir at the Guerlain boutique inside Neiman's in San Francisco, which coincidentally was sold out and unavailable to test. I noticed the trio of beautiful, pastel-colored bottles in a perfect spring palette, sitting upon their own shelf and had to walk over and investigate.

This scent has been compared to both Aquolina's Pink Sugar, which I own and wear occasionally but am NOT in love with, and another of Guerlain's exclusif's: Spritueuse Double Vanille, which I have sampled and found to be at moments divine and at the same time, overwhemingly sweet and thick. Gourmand Coquin is neither thick, nor nauseatingly sweet. It is gourmand, yes, and it does refrain from the intense woodiness of its predecessor in this category, Angel, yet it remains foody without feeling so; it is quite delicate and well-balanced.

I roll my eyes when I read the reviews of certain popular perfume bloggers who have pre-selected any and all gourmands as being youthful and uninteresting and this one, apparently, did not disappoint them. It's as though adding vanilla or sweet fruit and flowers instantly bores their noses and it makes me wonder if they also pass on chocolates, cookies and dessert of every kind. I prefer veggies to chocolate in most cases, but there's a time and a place for a fantastic dessert once in awhile and admitting to liking a sweeter fragrance, other than the classic Shalimar, won't lead to one being labeled as easy-to-please or predictable. I can't understand how GC could be uninteresting to anyone, even those who don't quickly fall for sweet scents. There is a rum note and a "buttered coffee cake" note which is kept in check with just the slightest hint of something dry - a subtle woodiness or cocoa, perhaps? It is beautifully done and the fragrance falls somewhere in the medium-range, in everything from sillage to intensity. Of the three Elixir Charnels, GC is the most intoxicaticating to my nose.

Is it worth $250 for 2.5 fl oz? Probably not, but the bottle's gourgeous, the scent is fantastic and fairy-tale-esque, and the concept is so well-conceived that the price doesn't seem so steep, all things considered. An added positive is that the two-and-a-half ounces will last ages. This fragrance is something close to the definition of the mystique perfume holds for me: a subtle, personal accesory that it beautiful and mysterious and one that is just slightly unattainable, yet something worth saving to purchase. Though there are beautiful fragrances to be had at Sephora for less than a hundred dollars, there are some expensive ones which cannot be ignored, for both their quality and the unique ideas they present and this is one that I find myself at a loss to describe. All I can say is, if you love sweet scents, sample this one if you can. If you find yourself craving it, give in. It's not every day that a unique and gorgeous perfume comes along in a unique and gorgeous bottle that is hard-to-find and very easy to fall in love with.

***UPDATE: I've now owned this scent for a few months and I adore it! I don't wear it all that often, because it's so expensive and I want to save it for special occasions. When I do wear it, I feel really special and I have to say, it was worth the steep price tag for me.

Popular Fragrances