Chanel No.5

Chanel No.5

3.7

on 5/20/2003 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Years ago, Chanel No 5 used to smell like ditch water on me, although as I have aged, my skin actually likes this perfume now. I call it my hug, it is a very comforting smell. And still a great classic.

on 4/29/2003 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a wonderful, classic fragrance which was made first in the 1920s and is still a keeper today. The old ones can't be beat; there is nothing made nowadays that even comes close to becoming the beloved scents we know from the traditional houses. Like any scent, it does depend upon your personal make up, but there is something in the Chanel line for everyone. I have been wearing #5 for over twenty years and can't see myself giving it up any time soon. The classic bottle is still pretty impressive too.

on 4/7/2003 2:15:00 PM

My Mother bought this for me because I enjoyed a sample of it I had. Maybe the sample was the perfume, because the cologne was horrible! I have allergies, and this scent is just too strong for me. Maybe it's the aldehydes in it. It IS a sophisticated fragrance with a distinctive scent--just not for me and my allergies!

This is my signature scent!! I've worn this for years, tried other fragrances, but always come back to the ever classy Chanel No. 5. I think this reacts well with my body chemistry because it smells warm and soft on me. When I get whiffs of it during the day I say to myself "Oooo I smell pretty!" and it makes me happy. :)

on 3/9/2003 11:19:00 PM

I've never understood the appeal of this. To be quite honest, I think the high price tag and the fact that it is touted by so-called classy socialites make something click in the subconscious. I sprayed it lightly on my wrist once in a department store and it was so strong that I couldn't concentrate on anything other than that scent. Everywhere I went, it invaded my nostrils. I almost felt embarassed because I had to continue shopping and I felt horrible for exposing the other shoppers to the awful smell. It seems like every Vogue and Bazaar magazine features some article with a lunching lady or an actress who go on and on about "Chanel no. 5 always and forever my signature fragrance" and SO HELP ME, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

on 1/29/2003 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think, despite the aldehydic note, this is beautiful. Can I wear it all the time? Certainly not. But here's the thing, on the rare occassions that I do, I am a ravishing white flower, exuding the delicate "come hither" essence of a pure rose, with the honeyed tone of jasmine.
I forget that my cheeks are a bit too round, my hips a touch too wide. It is a perfume that lends grace and elegance to a woman's demeanor. This is why I love it, and will remain in awe of it's divine draw over the opposite sex.

on 1/4/2003 12:37:00 PM

I love this scent, it's so classy.

on 11/4/2002 6:57:00 PM

This is my first love among fragrances that I rarely wear, but would never want to be without. Smooth and creamy aldehydes melt into a beautiful floral bouquet...sweet, yet reserved...it makes me feel ultra-feminine and dressed-up. I own and like both the EDT and the parfum.

on 10/28/2002 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

A true classic. According to Marilyn Monroe it was all she wore in bed. Coco Chanel selected this from 5 samples given to her by the creator, Ernest Beaux in 1921. She kept the number because 5 was her lucky number.
Classified as a floral aldehyde. Top notes are neroli, Ylang Ylang, and the dreaded aldehydes. Heart notes are jasmine, rose, iris and lily of the valley. Base notes are sandalwood, oak moss,civet, vanilla, and vetiver.
The EDT is a pretty awful fragrance. The perfume, very nice. It is one that I can wear only on occasion as I am very sensitive to aldehydes and they can make me queasy and headachy. If you try this one, I suggest getting the perfume. It is totally different and much easier to wear and the notes emerge much more softly.

on 1/14/2002 1:58:00 AM

I love this! However, I use ONLY the body oil and lotion, which give a much different scent than the EDP which I used to wear, which is where I think people are getting that "old lady smell". The oil and lotion are COMPLETELY different smelling, at least to me and to others who smell it. People always comment how great I smell when I wear the lotion, which I've started doing with all my fragrances.

Popular Fragrances