Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

on 9/21/2016 12:35:00 PM

It's been awhile since I've last written a review (with going to Europe and school starting again) but this is one of the many new products I bought before my trip (and took with me). I purchased two palettes: this one and the Lorac three palette; which also features warm toned shadows but remaining more on the brown/golden/rose gold shades.
I have to say, this palette is a dream! You barely need to tap the shadows to get A LOT of pigmentation and all the shades are extremely flattering to my eyes. The colors are perfect for any time of the year, especially the fall/winter season and can suit any day to night look! I saw some reviews that said some of the shades look the same (I assume they mean venetian red, love letter, and the other reddish pink shades), but to me, I have no problem telling the difference on my lids (maybe due to my artist side? I'm the kind of person who freaks out when someone says "light green" when its really celadon. I like specificity). The shadows blend beautifully and can build up to amazing marker-like, opaque looks. I read that this palette is based on common fresco colors during the Renaissance (hence its name) and I was impressed with the accuracy of the colors and the classy names it came with. (BTW, for those who don't know what frescos are, think of the Last Supper mural by Leonardo da Vinci. Its a type of painting style on fresh plaster and the paint is water based. A bit of art history!)
The brush that came with this palette had me a little hesitant at first. It felt rough and I had a difficult time grasping how it would do any good, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with the shadows. I wouldn't have minded a softer brush, but it did a great job.
One of the negative things I noticed with this palette is the packaging. I know lots of people have complained about the felt/velvet cover and I comply with that complaint. It is very difficult to clean off, but it did look sleek and pretty before I got powder all over it....
The mirror is also another feature that annoyed me a bit. For an expensive palette, I expected an equally nice mirror to be paired with it, but when it was dirty, it was really hard to clean off. I even tried a bit of Windex but the mirror was still blurry and foggy.
The last issue I had with this palette (but I didn't really mind at all) was the fallout. Compared to the Lorac Three palette I purchased, I would definitely say there was less fallout (I'll eventually do a review on this palette too) in the Modern Renaissance palette. These shadows were more buttery and pigmented, but I still love them both. I find that I have to frequently wipe down the excess powder that comes out of its little designated box, but I do that with all my palettes so its fine. I also bake under my eyes everyday right while doing my eye looks so I haven't had any reddish pink streaks on my cheeks or nose.
All in all, I LOVE this palette and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a warm-toned palette. I'll be sure to repurchase this again when I run out! Marvelous job Anastasia!

on 9/13/2016 1:11:00 PM

I so badly wanted to NOT believe the hype of this palette . But let me tell you, from someone who has MANY MANY palettes- YOU NEED THIS ONE. It is literally perfect. The shadows are buttery and blendable and the colors are beautiful. The only thing I would change is the packaging. It gets very dirty.

Beautiful beautiful palette! I love all the colors and they are super pigmented. The bright reds and pinks really make the eyes pop! Im so glad my friend got me this as a birthday gift I love it. The packaging and size is different from the other ABH palettes I have, but it doesn't bother me too much. I can't say enough good things about this palette other than WOW!

on 9/3/2016 2:31:00 PM

The only thing I do not like about this palette is the velvet packaging. It is very similar to the IT Cosmetics palettes, it is a lot softer than the original UD Naked palette. The velvet is not so easy to clean and sanitize, and it shows wear and tear quite quickly.

The shadows are very good quality. They are pigmented, blend really well, and have very nice color pay off. They are not quite as soft as Lorac shadows, but they are pretty soft and they do kick up quite a lot of powder, so use the light hand.

The shades are quite warm. There is a nice mix of medium and dark shades, but only one highlight shade. Most shades are matte, which is nice.

The mirror is a decent size, but it doesn't stay open upright on it's own, so not very practical. The double-ended brush is meh - the blender side is quite useless, the smudge side is OK.

Overall, a nice palette. Definitely worth a try, if you are in the market for warm shades. It is also full of unique shades and is quite different from everything else on the market.

on 8/20/2016 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Wow!!! This is such a beautiful, versatile and compact palette. You can create such a huge array of looks and work with many different colours and shades in this palette. I highly recommend this palette especially if you enjoy working with warm tone eyeshadows. The colours are super pigmented, blend in seamlessly and last all day/night on the eyes. I found myself reaching for this more than any of my other palettes and it's not hard to see why. It just works so well for me!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hands down this year's best eye shadow palette. The colors are so pigmented I can't believe it and blend like a charm. Pretty versatile too, I will definitely repurchase this once I finish it. I wish they would revamp the packaging though, the felt finish really gets dirty quick.

on 8/16/2016 3:22:00 PM

This is a gorgeous palette. I had originally purchased the Kat Von D one and returned it for this. The colors pop and make blue eyes look amazing. The shadows are incredibly pigmented and blend very smoothly. I felt like there was a lot of hype around this product just because it was Anastasia but it really is the best palette I own.

There is fallout as others have mentioned but as long as you wipe underneath with concealer or just use a little eye shadow it's not bad at all. I doubt I will ever run out of this but I will definitely purchase another palette from Anastasia based on the quality of this one.

on 8/16/2016 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This pallette is absolutely stunning. All the colors are beautiful, highly pigmented and soft as butter. With the right brushes, this is a fail proof eyeshadow, but it requires a bit of restraint on behalf of the user. Intense reds, buxom browns, I mean holy crap, this is a fabulous palette.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I cannot put into words how much I love this palette, but I'm going to try.
First of all, let's talk about the pigmentation. Anastasia is not playing around, folks. It is super intense, even the lighter shades. A little goes a VERY long way. And it's awesomely buildable too, not that you really need to build it up too much though.

The formula is so buttery smooth and blendable. I'm serious, every single shade goes on so smoothly that it takes me half the time it used to to apply my eyeshadow when I use this palette. The only shade that requires a little more blending than the others is Cyprus Umber. That being said, it is not difficult to blend by any means, just a little less easy than the other shades. I find all of the shades to be long-wearing.

Colours are great. Mostly warm tones. They all go so nicely together and you can create any kind of look from natural daily wear, to dramatic nighttime looks - so versatile. Not one bit chalky, either. I also love that these shades are mostly matte, so there are tons of shadows you can use as transitions/crease colours.

Packaging is ok. Aesthetically pleasing, compact, sturdy. The velvet is cute but definitely gets dirty quickly. Comes with a nice, decently sized mirror and a surprisingly good quality double ended brush.

Price was $55 CAD on Sephora.ca so it's definitely a bit of an investment. But when you think of it this way, you're getting 14 high-quality shadows and a nice brush. If you were to buy 14 separate shades and a brush from the drugstore, you'd be spending way more than $55, without getting anywhere near the quality that you get with Modern Renaissance.

As other reviewers have mentioned, dipping your brush into the pans can loosen up a bit of shadow, creating dust. However, I think that this powderiness might be the reason it blends so easily. I have not found this loosening effect to waste too much product/leave dents in the pans, and fallout is not a problem if you simply tap your brush to release excess powder.

Great palette that is totally worth the price. I'm in love!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Wow what can I say that hasn't already been stated! Packing is perfect, longevity perfect, colors are perfect, blends perfect, and so on and so on and so on! This has became a staple in my collection from the very day I bought it! I have many ABH palettes but this one takes the prize for my fave and easily beat out my old ABH fave the shadow couture which I thought would never happen! ABH makes some of the best cosmetics hands down. This is def worth a repurchase over and over again!