Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

This is a really beautiful palette with shades that compliment all skin tones. The shadows are highly pigmented, blend easily, and are soft like butter. I recommend not being heavy handed with these.

on 8/20/2016 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Wow!!! This is such a beautiful, versatile and compact palette. You can create such a huge array of looks and work with many different colours and shades in this palette. I highly recommend this palette especially if you enjoy working with warm tone eyeshadows. The colours are super pigmented, blend in seamlessly and last all day/night on the eyes. I found myself reaching for this more than any of my other palettes and it's not hard to see why. It just works so well for me!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love the product, HATE the packaging. These eyeshadows are extremely pigmented and so blendable, but the velvet packaging is terrible IMO. I have the original naked palette which the packaging for that product is similar and for a while I had put off purchasing the ABH palette because of it. Not only does the packaging get extremely dirty from eyeshadow fallout and other makeup that you might set it next to, but velvet is my "nails on a chalkboard" for lack of a better phrase. I decided to purchase this because I never got my hands on the original Lorac Mega Pro, which had a lot of burgundy and deep plum tones (the ABH palette has a few) and I figured that this would be similar (which it is - in quality and in shade tones). I do wear this palette on a daily basis and do enjoy that I can get a complete look out of this palette (this palette has shades that work great for highlight, transitions, bases, lids & crease colors) that way I don't have to grab for another palette. I find myself reaching for lid shades a lot and am thankful that although this palette (for my skin tone) has only a few, there are options for me to choose from to create different looks. 4/5 - because of the packaging. Also happy that this palette is permanent, a lot of limited edition palettes can be so hard to get a hold of - and it definitely left a hole in my heart to not get my hands on the original mega pro palette just because I was 2 weeks behind the bandwagon.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hands down this year's best eye shadow palette. The colors are so pigmented I can't believe it and blend like a charm. Pretty versatile too, I will definitely repurchase this once I finish it. I wish they would revamp the packaging though, the felt finish really gets dirty quick.

on 8/16/2016 3:22:00 PM

This is a gorgeous palette. I had originally purchased the Kat Von D one and returned it for this. The colors pop and make blue eyes look amazing. The shadows are incredibly pigmented and blend very smoothly. I felt like there was a lot of hype around this product just because it was Anastasia but it really is the best palette I own.

There is fallout as others have mentioned but as long as you wipe underneath with concealer or just use a little eye shadow it's not bad at all. I doubt I will ever run out of this but I will definitely purchase another palette from Anastasia based on the quality of this one.

on 8/16/2016 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This pallette is absolutely stunning. All the colors are beautiful, highly pigmented and soft as butter. With the right brushes, this is a fail proof eyeshadow, but it requires a bit of restraint on behalf of the user. Intense reds, buxom browns, I mean holy crap, this is a fabulous palette.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I cannot put into words how much I love this palette, but I'm going to try.
First of all, let's talk about the pigmentation. Anastasia is not playing around, folks. It is super intense, even the lighter shades. A little goes a VERY long way. And it's awesomely buildable too, not that you really need to build it up too much though.

The formula is so buttery smooth and blendable. I'm serious, every single shade goes on so smoothly that it takes me half the time it used to to apply my eyeshadow when I use this palette. The only shade that requires a little more blending than the others is Cyprus Umber. That being said, it is not difficult to blend by any means, just a little less easy than the other shades. I find all of the shades to be long-wearing.

Colours are great. Mostly warm tones. They all go so nicely together and you can create any kind of look from natural daily wear, to dramatic nighttime looks - so versatile. Not one bit chalky, either. I also love that these shades are mostly matte, so there are tons of shadows you can use as transitions/crease colours.

Packaging is ok. Aesthetically pleasing, compact, sturdy. The velvet is cute but definitely gets dirty quickly. Comes with a nice, decently sized mirror and a surprisingly good quality double ended brush.

Price was $55 CAD on Sephora.ca so it's definitely a bit of an investment. But when you think of it this way, you're getting 14 high-quality shadows and a nice brush. If you were to buy 14 separate shades and a brush from the drugstore, you'd be spending way more than $55, without getting anywhere near the quality that you get with Modern Renaissance.

As other reviewers have mentioned, dipping your brush into the pans can loosen up a bit of shadow, creating dust. However, I think that this powderiness might be the reason it blends so easily. I have not found this loosening effect to waste too much product/leave dents in the pans, and fallout is not a problem if you simply tap your brush to release excess powder.

Great palette that is totally worth the price. I'm in love!

on 8/13/2016 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Love hate relationship with this palette. Love the variety of shades, blendability, and packaging. However I hate that when you barely touch your brush in the matte shades, TONS of powder goes flying everywhere. I feel like it's wasting product and I end up having to blow it away. The shimmery shadows don't do that. That being said, you can create a lot of different eye looks with this palette which I appreciate.

on 8/12/2016 4:52:00 PM

I really wanted to love this palette, all the great reviews and looks I had seen with it. I debated getting it cause I already have the Violet Voss Holly Grail Palette but there were several yellow and warm brown colors this palette has the Violet Voss does not so I got it. i tried several times to give this palette another shot but the quality is probably the worst of any palette I own and I own many drugstore and pro palettes. The matte colors that I bought the palette for are so chalky and have so much fall out. Maybe because I got the Violet Voss first that i expect it to live up to that one. I just was so disappointed by the quality of the shadows and do not see the hype of this palette. I would not recommend it to anyone. I do not own any other ABH palettes to compare it to.