NYX Micro Brow Pencil

NYX Micro Brow Pencil
Micro Brow PencilMicro Brow Pencil

4.1

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so this will be a comparison between the NYX micro brow pencil and the ABH brow wiz.

I am a huge fan of the ABH brow wiz but it is really expensive and at $21 for a brow pencil I am open to trying anything else that's counsidered a dupe. I heard that the Nyx micro brow pencil was a possible dupe so I set out to Ulta to get it. At $9.99 it would save me a lot if I could start using this instead of the ABH which I go through so quickly.

I am Mac NC30 and I have black hair and eyebrows. I used the ABH brow wiz in brunette and medium brown/ash brown. The biggest problem with the nyx micro brow pencil is the color selection. All of the Browns were warm toned.. Some more warm than others but overall I could not find a brown that was cool toned. I had two options from the color range that wasn't warm toned- black and taupe. Since I have black hair black would be the obvious option but I hate putting black brow pencil on my brows as it makes them look scary. So I swatched taupe on my hand and headed over to ABH section of Ulta and swatched my favorite shade Medium Brown.

I compared ABH medium brown to all the NYX Micro brow pencils and the closest one was Taupe. Taupe is about 2 shades lighter than ABH medium brown so it's not a dupe but I got it anyway as it was the closest match.

I can safely say the NYX micro pencil in Taupe does not work for me
With my black hair. It may work well for someone with a different hair color better suited for it. But it leaves me with the realization that there is no color in the NYX range that I like for my black hair. The Browns are way to warm and the black - while not an intense pigmented black - is still a bit out of my comfort zone.

In terms of the formula being the same, the NYX is drier and you have to press harder to get color pay off. But once you do a little extra work to get it on, it really looks identical to the ABH on the brows.

If you can find a color in the NYX range that works for you, definitely go for it! However I don't think there's any point compromising a good brow shade to save the extra dollars as with the Taupe shade my brows just did not look great to say the least. I will be sticking to the ABH range since they do have such a great color selection that's not warm.

Hope this was helpful!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! I have always used the anastasia brow wiz, and I can honestly say that it's very similar. I was looking for a cheaper, but good brow pencil and I'm so glad I found this! It's long lasting, since i have oily skin and doesn't slip off! I really recommend this product!

Me: black hair, black brows, NC 30 skin
Pros: perfect black/grey color that is not brown at all (browns look weird on my black eyebrows), dry texture helps the color go on lightly (i'm going for a natural look, not instagram brows)

Cons: doesn't stay on as long as Sephora's pencil. Some of the color starts fading after a few hours.

on 6/16/2015 1:57:00 PM

I was using Anastasia brow pencils for years, but due to price I decided to try NYX. I feel that NYX Micro Brow Pencil in Taupe is just as good as Anastasia's. The color of the Taupe is much nicer than YBF Taupe/Universal and IT Cosmetics Taupe/Universal. The NYX Taupe is a tad lighter in color and for me being of light brown hair I prefer. It is totally a dupe for Anastasia's brow pencil. Example: the ends of the pencil are removable just like Anastasia's. Where as the side of the micro pencil being slightly longer than the side with the spoolie. Just remember that if ever you are in a rush in the morning you might just crush your micro pencil if you pick up the wrong end cap. I've done this with Anastasia's. If I had to mention something negative it would be that I personally stay away from any products made in China, Korea etc... due to health concerns. So this pencil is not made in USA or Italy or Germany where a alot of other pencils are made. But that I will repurchase due to this being a dupe for Anastasia's and the price being much better. Anastasia's brow pencil never lasted a long time. Since I use my brow pencil daily I need the price to be on the low end but no compromise on quality or product.

on 7/3/2015 4:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS...I purchased it online from nyx's official website. At first I was like, wow...this is good. But when I tried FOR THE FIRST TIME to get more product by twisting it, nothing. Nothing happen! I don't think that I pay 10 dollars for 1mm product right? Such a waste!!!! If I know how bad its quality, I would've chose anastasia for triple the price. So, so bad you guys...

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I read that this was an Anastasia dupe, but I'm not so sure.

PROS:
--price

CONS:
--having trouble finding a shade without red tones
--harder pencil than the Brow Whiz....have to push harder, without much luck
--read that it doesn't last as long as the Brow Whiz....fades after a few hours

UPDATE: I went back to Ulta to check out the swatches. I need a dark color that has NO red tones. ALL of the browns have a red tone EXCEPT for black. So, I bought black. Since I have to push hard for the color to show, I was able to get a dark/ashy brow without looking too harsh. If it lasts all day, I just MIGHT have found my Anastasia dupe. I'll update.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I use this in Espresso (Revlon Colorstay Caramel/soft black eyebrows), though I probably could use Black for a more dramatic look. This gives the most natural yet defined look! The tip is thin and perfect for drawing in realistic brow hairs. The spoolie on the other end is convenient for brushing hairs into place and blending in a pinch. I usually wouldn't pay ten dollars for a brow pencil, but the results are nice enough to justify it. (That is, if I can't catch a sale when I need another one)

I have this in Chocolate and have been using it about 2 weeks. I like how the formula is drier and I honestly love the spoolie. I brush my brows down and fill them in, then brush them back into place. Being new to filling in my brows, I do not have anything to compare this product to, but it is preferred to using a brown eye liner!!
I am cautious about using too much, or making them too dark/ severe, but I feel more put together when they are 'done'.

on 6/14/2015 12:11:00 PM

I have repurchased this for fleek brows 3 times in about 2 months. That goes to show, I go through this product quickly and I have no brows of my own! I reach for this in Ash brown, way more over my Anastasia brow gel in Chocolate. It's fast, it's micro, more natural looking, and is the same thing as the brow wiz but way cheaper, especially when purchased with coupons during sales at Ulta 😏. Get this!

This is a very decent dupe for ABH Brow wiz for half the price. It is slightly on the dry side but works perfectly fine. Great selection of shades and stays put.

Popular Brows Products