NYX Micro Brow Pencil

Micro Brow PencilMicro Brow Pencil

4.1

on 10/7/2015 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Love this!!! I used to use Anastasia brow products until I found this more affordable alternative (about $10 at Ulta and they always have NYX sales, so you can get it for even less). Works beautifully. I am brunette and I use the color ash brown which I would describe as a cool, dark brown. It goes on smoothly and does not budge or smudge. Awesome staying power even on my oily skin and looks so natural. I often get compliments on my brows and I owe it all to this brow pencil.

on 9/18/2015 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I want to start off my review by saying that if you are looking for a dupe of an exact shade of Brow Wiz, this may not be the pencil for you because while it does have very similar packaging, the shade range of this NYX pencil is much more warm-toned than that of the Brow Wiz. It works for me because I currently have my hair dyed so a combination of the NYX Blonde + Auburn shades is a perfect match to my hair. However if I had my natural black hair I think I wouldn't be able to find a shade that didn't look warmly odd/too stark.

This brow pencil is one of my favorite that I've tried! I really enjoy the thin tip as it makes an easy job of defining the brow. The spoolie works fine and softens the lines as needed. I'm not sure if it takes too much of the product off my brows, though.

However, I do have my qualms about it. I do feel like the stick of product is a bit too hard as I need to press with a bit of force/go over the same spot in order to get the pigmentation I want. My blonde shade (used to fill the front 2/3rds of brow) ran out way too fast. Perhaps it's just my enthusiastic usage of the pencil, but I haven't heard of anyone running out of product after ONE MONTH of using ANY brow pencil. And I'm using two shades in conjunction too! I will still repurchase since it does match my hair, so I'll see if I also go through the second pencil as quickly.

I, like so many others ....love my Anastasia BrowWiz. I am a diehard fan. I have dark brown , cool-toned hair and sparse eyebrows. I purchased the NYX micro brow pencil in Ash Brown. Its a fairly universal shade, cool toned hair people may favor this color. The other browns are quite warm. Both pencils work very well but here are the pros and cons of the Micro brow pencil:

PROS:

Price is great, packaging is identical to Anastasia s except for color , IDENTICAL results in the finished brow.

CONS:

THIS SPOOLY SUCKS!! I had to press harder and this comes off a lot easier. I have oily skin and tend to sweat and this might not hold ALL day depending on the weather.

OVERALL:

I can get two for the price of one ABH brow wiz.
This is a fabulous dupe for the price. The results are identical although I have to go over some areas with the NYX pencil again sometimes. I use dark brown in ABH Perfect Brow pencil and medium brown in BrowWiz. The NYX ash brown is an almost exact match.

Like most people, I tried this because I LOVE Anastasia's Brow Whiz but I'd love to find something a little less costly. This one was $9, so I basically get two of these for the price of 1 Brow Whiz. Not bad. The color selection isn't great but I was able to find one that was a close enough match.

The pencil is not as pigmented as the ABH one. I have to push a little harder and rework the same areas. However, with a little extra work the initial results are nearly identical to the Brow Whiz. Hell yeah.

The spoolie...sucks. It's rough and it tugs at my brow hairs. I really don't use it if I can help it. But at least there is a spoolie!

I find that this pencil does fade over time...especially on hot days when my skin is a little more greasy. The Brow Whiz, however, doesn't budge. I find that the NYX pencil performs very well on most days, though.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my NYX Micro Pencil. The results were actually better than I expected. Although the quality isn't the same as the Brow Whiz, this baby saves you a ton of money, and the results are definitely nice. This is an excellent dupe. I will continue to purchase these until I become wealthy enough to buy a Brow Whiz when I run out!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Bought this and used it brand-spanking-new and it is VERY, VERY DRY. Like, it feels like a very old eyebrow pencil or one left with no lid on for months....? I am afraid to twist it up more than being barely visible bc I am afraid of it breaking, it is so dry!!!! Maybe I got an old one..? But I bought from Ulta though and they seem to rotate this stock pretty fast, though?!

The shade is actually nice (blonde, I usually get taupe brow pencils; but they were sold out of taupe). And once applied it does look nice, no 'drag queen' eyebrows, so it IS nice once applied. Just a lot of work to get it there. The spoolie feels rough to me and does not really perform very well at all imho.

Also, this does make my eyebrows itch..no bueno....

This is decent once applied, but I will stick with my 99-cent Wet n Wild Taupe of the Morning pencil. It looks about the same once applied (is softer/creamier to apply) and is a mere fraction of this. This does last a better part of the day without disappearing, so that is nice..but again, the one from Wet n Wild is about the same.

The spoolie on this Nyx product is completely redundant for me, as for me much useless, as it just does not work well nor feel nice to me. So I can't/won't justify that into the cost factor.

Lastly, I have heard people use this up very fast/not much product in this, and I can see that happening, as I have to use a good bit of product each time I use this, far more than other eyebrow pencils; so I likely won't be re-purchasing this.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love that it comes with a spool on the end, it makes it really convenient. The pencil itself is very subtle, so it's easy to make a natural looking brow without the fear of going overboard. I love this product!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so this will be a comparison between the NYX micro brow pencil and the ABH brow wiz.

I am a huge fan of the ABH brow wiz but it is really expensive and at $21 for a brow pencil I am open to trying anything else that's counsidered a dupe. I heard that the Nyx micro brow pencil was a possible dupe so I set out to Ulta to get it. At $9.99 it would save me a lot if I could start using this instead of the ABH which I go through so quickly.

I am Mac NC30 and I have black hair and eyebrows. I used the ABH brow wiz in brunette and medium brown/ash brown. The biggest problem with the nyx micro brow pencil is the color selection. All of the Browns were warm toned.. Some more warm than others but overall I could not find a brown that was cool toned. I had two options from the color range that wasn't warm toned- black and taupe. Since I have black hair black would be the obvious option but I hate putting black brow pencil on my brows as it makes them look scary. So I swatched taupe on my hand and headed over to ABH section of Ulta and swatched my favorite shade Medium Brown.

I compared ABH medium brown to all the NYX Micro brow pencils and the closest one was Taupe. Taupe is about 2 shades lighter than ABH medium brown so it's not a dupe but I got it anyway as it was the closest match.

I can safely say the NYX micro pencil in Taupe does not work for me
With my black hair. It may work well for someone with a different hair color better suited for it. But it leaves me with the realization that there is no color in the NYX range that I like for my black hair. The Browns are way to warm and the black - while not an intense pigmented black - is still a bit out of my comfort zone.

In terms of the formula being the same, the NYX is drier and you have to press harder to get color pay off. But once you do a little extra work to get it on, it really looks identical to the ABH on the brows.

If you can find a color in the NYX range that works for you, definitely go for it! However I don't think there's any point compromising a good brow shade to save the extra dollars as with the Taupe shade my brows just did not look great to say the least. I will be sticking to the ABH range since they do have such a great color selection that's not warm.

Hope this was helpful!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! I have always used the anastasia brow wiz, and I can honestly say that it's very similar. I was looking for a cheaper, but good brow pencil and I'm so glad I found this! It's long lasting, since i have oily skin and doesn't slip off! I really recommend this product!

Me: black hair, black brows, NC 30 skin
Pros: perfect black/grey color that is not brown at all (browns look weird on my black eyebrows), dry texture helps the color go on lightly (i'm going for a natural look, not instagram brows)

Cons: doesn't stay on as long as Sephora's pencil. Some of the color starts fading after a few hours.

on 7/3/2015 4:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS...I purchased it online from nyx's official website. At first I was like, wow...this is good. But when I tried FOR THE FIRST TIME to get more product by twisting it, nothing. Nothing happen! I don't think that I pay 10 dollars for 1mm product right? Such a waste!!!! If I know how bad its quality, I would've chose anastasia for triple the price. So, so bad you guys...

Popular Brows Products