NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

on 7/7/2013 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

AMAZING. I have very oily skin (like I get shiny after only 30 minutes or an hour). This is the ONLY powder I've tried that keeps me matte for a good 6+ hours. It leaves my skin silky smooth & makes my skin look like SKIN which is new for me. The only con is the packaging but it IS a loose powder so it's going to be a little messier & you can't throw it in your bag to touch up. I've also noticed that if you don't blend your foundation or concealer well, the powder can emphasize this & leave your skin looking a little splotchy. Overall, I LOVE THIS powder because it's done miracles for my oily skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I like this but it does feel like I'm wasting so much of it because it 'puffs' and so much just goes everywhere. It does help to keep my makeup in place and stop it from separating around my nose though. (It also helps keep my eyebrows in place which sounds weird but I have no eyebrows and have to draw them on completely and really thickly) I'd be open to trying different powder as I don't think it's the most amazing thing in the world but it's definitely decent and good value for money.

on 6/11/2013 10:32:00 AM

The only other finishing powder I have owned is the Bare Escentuals one, and I find this comparable to that. It does give you a glowy and not shimmery look, really just finished your whole makeup looks an blends it all together to look seamless. Def will purchase this one again!

on 6/5/2013 2:22:00 PM

Have to agree w/ prev reviewer ..this stuff does somehow make my combo but oily T zone look glowy..matte but not flat..even good in retail store lighting and we all know how flattering that is ! I love it ...

on 6/4/2013 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I am very pleased with this product. Getting into make-up as a beginner , I never really understood the purpose of a finishing powder or how it would look on me, but I so glad I got this !! Oil control at its finest! And the finish is beautiful..

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

If you're as vain and self-centered as I am, you're gonna love this powder. As soon as you apply it, it's hard to take your eyes off yourself, cause you just look so darn good.
I was an avid fan of the ELF HD Powder for quite some time. After a year of much love, I ran out of it and planned on repurchasing until I saw these reviews. Well, why not? I'm always looking to try something new, and I had a coupon so I snatched it up.
When I got home I eagerly applied my foundation, powder, blush and bronzer, and went for the HD powder to smooth and set everything. I almost gasped when I got it out. It's the finest, smoothest powder I've ever laid eyes on. Smoother and finer than ELF, MUFE, and just wispy and dream-like in every single way.
I took a tiny bit on my ELF kabuki and buffed it into my face.
...
My goodness.
This powder delivers. I looked flawless, airbrushed, and maybe it was just me, but the powder seemed to add some luminous look to my skin. Those effects lasted all day, no fading, no touching up just gorgeousness. What impressed me the most is how this powder managed to work with my impossible skin; oily t-zone, dry cheeks, and acne gallore. It didn't cling to the dry patches on my face yet it also kept me matte without drawing attention to my acne. I almost did a cartwheel...before I remembered that I can't do a cartwheel without hurting myself.
NYX labeled this product as "a miracle in a jar". I must say, I'm inclined to agree.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

No matter what type of setting powder I use I always get shine after a few minutes of use. If I'm not planning on going anywhere important I'll use the NYC transparent setting powder but it doesn't really do much of anything. After about a half an hour it wears off. For the price, though (around 3.99 for a large container) it's not bad for casual days or days when you aren't wearing foundation. The best setting powder I've found so far is the Mattify! Ultra loose powder. It's meant for very oily skin which I have but, just like any other powder I've tried it wears off after few hours AND I have to order it online.
Now for the NYX powder....MY SEARCH ENDS HERE!!!!!!!! This is by far the best powder I've used hands down. I apply it in the morning and it lasts all day. My face stays pretty matte until the end of the day when my skin looked dewy instead of the normal oil slick and that's after being out all day and spending my fair amount of time in the Florida sun. I think if you're looking for something that is truly going to keep the oilies away and not break you out give this powder a try.
*the only drawback to using this powder is the container but I think that's a problem with most loose powders. This one is very finely milled so almost no matter what the powder tends to blow away as soon as I open the container but I'll take that considering the powder is a miracle worker.

on 5/12/2013 12:05:00 PM

I've owned a couple high end finishing powders and none even come close to the NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder. It leaves your face completely matte and takes away all shine/oil. I find it also gives my face a lovely smooth look, like I've been airbrushed. I also found that unlike my high end finishing powders, the NYX last all day. I hardly ever have to re-apply it. The only downside is I wish it came in better packaging. Because it is so finely milled, it easy to spill it or use to much. To apply, I turn it upside down (making sure the lid is closed on tight first) and give it a small shake to allow the power to go onto the inside of the lid, then I turn it back over, tap the lid lightly and then open it. I use a Large Mac face brush, using only the powder still left on the inside of the lid to do my whole face. If you dip your brush in the powder itself you will most certainly get too much on your brush. You can't beat the price either!! Great product!!

on 4/8/2013 2:24:00 PM

I have both of the other well-known silica setting powders, the MUFE and Elf versions. I actually prefer this one over both. It seems to be more finely milled and smoother, so finely milled in fact, that it drifts up into the air when the lid is removed. Annoying, yes, but this is just an indicator of how very fine the particles are. As such it doesn't cake or settle into fine lines, nor does it emphasize dry patches. Just a very smooth and beautiful finish. It's 100% silica, and I don't remember how that compares to the MUFE and Elf, but I'll check the label and update. The only reason I'm giving it a '4' is because the very small amount in the jar makes it deceivingly expensive at $9.99 US (Ulta).

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I don't mind this powder it's great for setting lipstick aswell. Pat lips with tissue add powder and then more lipstick - nyx haut melon of course ;o) I have heard you can use corn starch as a translucent setting powder but pure silica works well too.