Urban Decay NAKED Basics

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 12/5/2012 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Oh. My. Gawd.

I am in love with this chic little palette. It's got all the colors to give me a professional daytime look and is just small enough for me to slip into my purse and carry it with me so I can build up the color for a night out after work! As with all Urban Decay shadows, each color is buttery soft and super pigmented. It's just so PERFECT!

Let's walk through each color, from left to right:

1. Crave (the darkest matte black). Perfect as a liner, to build up color into the crease, as a base for a duo chrome....just plain perfect.

2. Faint. This matte brown is darker on the eye than it appears in the pan. I really like it, though. It's a nice color to run through the socket and into the outside corner to give your eyes some depth while still looking natural enough to wear for work.

3. Naked 2. Can't have a naked palette without a naked. :) I like it. It works well as a base color to build other colors upon. I brush it eyelid to brow before any other color just to even out any veins/discoloration. It works well.

4. W.O.S. This color has a nice pinky undertone. Brighter than Naked2, it's great for running right above the socket, just to pull the color out and blend. It's quite nice.

5. Foxy. This is definitely a much for yellowy highlighter shade. I honestly haven't figured out what I can do with this one quite yet (hey I've only had the palette for 3 days!), but I've swatched it and it is quite a lovely, buttery color.

6. Venus. Lovely, semi-matte highlighter. It's not super shimmery, but has just enough to brighten your face without looking cheap. I love using a fan brush to sweep it on the top of my cheeks and on my brown bone. It's quite natural and flattering.

Overall, this is an incredible palette for the money. Quality is unbeatable. Love.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

While I love Urban Decay shadows, a majority of their shadows are more appropriate for wearing to nightclubs than in real life. Yes, this includes both Naked palettes. So I was intrigued that they finally clubbed (no pun intended) together a matte palette called Naked Basics.

There are 6 shadows in there, which was disappointing given their larger Naked palettes. On the other hand, only 6 shadows means it's a small, portable palette that can easily travel. Only two repeated shadows, which is pretty good for them. The shadow quality is excellent as usual: highly pigmented with smooth application. Since there's no glitter or sparkle, there's much less fallout than usual, which is VERY nice.

Venus: vanilla satin, and the only shade that isn't matte. Chalky, but I'm glad they didn't go for a matte white as that would have been too chalky. I'm also glad they didn't fall into their "Disco Ball" trap and add glitter.

Foxy: a repeat from one of the other Naked palettes. Yellowish and chalky on my skin, but it may work on lighter skin tones. Pass.

Walk of Shame: a repeat from the Build-Your-Own-Palette. A creamy neutral, a little chalky but not bad.

Naked 2: like Naked, but a touch lighter. This one is the best of them all: not too dark, not too light, not chalky or ashy at all. It looks fantastic on my skin tone.

Faint: hot chocolate brown. Good for the crease, or all over the lid on a bolder day.

Crave: dark brown-black. Too dark for my skin tone to use as a shadow, but it has potential as a liner. It could also work for a smoky eye.

Overall, not bad.