MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

Filtered by age: 36-43

3.6

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

God how I wanted to love this! Went on a bit of a MAC binge recently and bought both the studio fix fluid and powder. I like a semi matte look as I have some visible pores around my nose and find that they are accentuated when I use oil based foundations. The first day of purchase I applied with brush and it looked ok indoors but when I ventured out and caught a glimpse of myself in natural lighting I completely freaked out. Orange, crusty - I resembled a cheesy snack. I gave it up for a while but decided to give it another red hot go recently. It seems to work best if I use a teeny, tiny bit of foundation over the top of a primer. I don't love it but shall persevere with it until I find my HG (Where are you??!!)

This foundation is ok, I bought nc15 as im very pale and I just about get away with the no tide line around my jaw area looking orange. Covers ok, lasts ok, pump I bought for it was ok, the only problem I have with this foundation is that around my eyes it looks absolutely terrible. I have a few lines, (laughter lines that is) and my gosh does it show them up, which is a shame because I really do like it otherwise. I think I would buy it again but I will try to find a nice concealer to put under my eyes instead. Just a quick note I originally sampled the nw15 and it made me look very orange so I would suggest that if you are pale then stick to the nc15 as its less orange and more yellow toned.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Once I'm done with my bottle, I'm kissing this goodbye. I've used this on-and-off for years and think sticking with it was more out of habit and the MAC hype than the results it gives. When I objectively look at what it does for me -- not enough coverage, makes me break out on my chin -- I don't know why I had separation anxiety from this foundation as it's not "all that" if you know what I mean. Try another foundation besides this one b/c it's no better than some of the drugstore brands I dabble in. Not worth the price.

I used this product for approximately two weeks. I applied it with a brush and tried it with a primer as well as without a primer. I wanted to like this foundation but it broke me out. I did notice that if I applied concealer first as sort of a buffer - my skin seemed a lot calmer. The smell is pretty strong as lasts a while (I think until you get used to it). Coverage is great - I didn't need much to cover up hyper-pigmentation from old acne - especially when applying with a stiff brush. The price is decent (I paid $26.00). Unfortunately, I ended up returning it to the store and returning to my hunt for that elusive HG foundation...

While the coverage and the colour match is good, the smell is horrendous. Even my 4-year old daughter could smell it after I applied it and was holding her nose saying "Yuck! What's that smell?". It applied smoothly with my Prescriptives foundation brush and I did not need to use concealer over the blemishes. After I applied a dusting of Benefit's Get Even.

It stayed on all day without getting too shiney but by 3 pm (applied at 7am) it started to "crackle" and settle into the lines and pores. I could still smell it too.

In general this is a great foundation.It isnt for everyone or skin type. I have very dy sensitive skin, anything too harsh will break me out as this did! It did however have great coverage and a beautiful finish if used sparingly. Do NOT CAKE ON!! I think this would work great for oily skin as it seems to be drying on the skin. I have switched to Lancome Photogenic which I adore see review!!

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I also have a love/hate relationship with this product...It provided very good coverage and I received alot of complements while wearing this foundation. The problems that I had was that it was breaking my skin out really bad. My cheeks brokeout really bad with small dark spots. Also, the color really seemed to change on me from day to day..One makeup artist color matched me to a NW47 & another NC50. I have combination skin & towards the end of the day my face would really oily & red looking...One makeup artist told me to switch to NC50 but I still had the breakouts & was still oily & orange looking..I have since switched to Prescriptives Flawless Foundation & has face is already clearing up. Prescriptives has a wide color range & it does not oxidize on my skin.

I wish there was a "maybe" option for repurchase! It seems unfair to say no, but I would not say yes either at this point. The truth is I just don't know. Part of my problem with this foundation is that the MAC SA sold me a shade too light. Aren't they supposed to be good at matching people? Not where I live anyway! I didn't even know they were supposed to give out samples until after I had bought this. The silly cow matched me as NC20, which is okay for my face but because my neck (and from there on down) is noticeably darker, I need a darker shade. I told her that, and she still managed to convince me the NC20 was correct. Anyway. The finish of this product is a bit more "make-up"-like than what I'm used to. It's not a match for my GA LSF in terms of natural finish. However, mixing with a small amount of moisturiser or (in my case) tinted moisturiser, the finish is much improved. I can blend this with my Paula's Choice TM in a slightly darker shade and get a good match. When thinned out, blending with fingers is easy enough. Otherwise I'd probably use a brush. PROs: decent coverage, lasts very well (I wear this when I need my makeup to last throughout the day. I brush some Clarins compact foundation on top and, during the day, blot with a little loose powder from a mini jar. The finish stays nice with no caking.) CONs: I don't know... a bit thick perhaps, but then I'm used to using just TM most days. Honestly, it's a good product but I guess I'm just pissed off at the SA who sold me the wrong shade. *** UPDATE *** Through the winter I became paler, and realised that the shades in this foundation are just too peachy for me. I need something more yellow/neutral. Not sure if it's just the SFF or other MAC foundations as well. Anyway, I've since moved on to Lancome.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Like a lot of folks here, I have strayed from this foundation only because of rumors of breakouts.
I can tell you that in the month since I stopped using SFF, I have broken out with foundations from Make Up Forever, Bobbi Brown and quite a few drugstore brands. My skin did not like any of them.
I think MAC, like many other products, can work for some acne-prone skin and cause problems for others. For mine, it's perfect: a great matte finish when paired with the amazing pressed blot powder, buildable coverage so I can wear more or less depending on how well my skin's behaving and one of the ONLY foundations that matches my DDD skin almost to a T.

Don't just go from the reviews here. Go to MAC and ask for a sample, continue with your regular skin routine and watch for changes. This is a wonderful product and it can work for those with acne-prone skin.

Edit: This is still the best I've found for my skin but as I get older, I find I don't much like the "full-face foundation" look and prefer to go for a concealer and powder. The color of the Fix Fluid looks too gray for me and by the end of the day, I actually look a bit ashy.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There are lots of pluses for this foundation. The colors are terrific and the coverage is great. I chose this foundation because I needed to cover up some redness in my complexion and this foundation is very buildable. I also think the price is great and is a lot cheaper than most department store foundations. The negatives are that it doesn't have great oil control and it's not as long lasting as I would have liked. The biggest negative though is that it broke me out. I ended up with some deep seeded blackheads after using this and I usually don't get those. I did notice this foundation sits in pores so you do have to blend well. If this doesn't cause breakouts, this might be one you might consider. I ended up returning it to Nordstroms for a full refund.